2011 Panamera Turbo Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
onedah
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Panamera Turbo Battery

Hi All,

I new to this thread and recently purchased a PPT 2011. I've been having battery issues on the car for a while and the dealer said no issue for a while, however today they informed me th battery is not holding charge so I need a new one. The Porsche Dealer quoted me $670 for a replacement.

I need some advise:
- Do I need a Porsche Battery or can someone recommend a replacement battery source>
- If I dont go to Porsche, while anything else need resetting on the car that only porsche can do once the battery gets replaced?

Any related help on the topic would be very helpful.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 04:22 PM
onedah
Track Day

I'm going to go for a Interstate MT5-49/H8 Battery. Retails @ $260 plus $100 install from a local Dallas Porsche repair shop.

This is a large saving over the Porsche Dealer price.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 PM
dnsacks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was going to chime in and suggest getting an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) style battery instead of a traditional "wet" cell battery, but see that the interstate you posted is indeed an AGM . . . .
Old 01-09-2015, 12:41 PM
onedah
Track Day

Originally Posted by dnsacks
was going to chime in and suggest getting an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) style battery instead of a traditional "wet" cell battery, but see that the interstate you posted is indeed an AGM . . . .
Thanks for the reply - would you know if there is special programing that needs to be done? Porsche are saying the battery serial numbers need to be coded to the car else I may have some electronics fail?
Old 01-09-2015, 05:00 PM
dnsacks
Track Day

Originally Posted by onedah
Thanks for the reply - would you know if there is special programing that needs to be done? Porsche are saying the battery serial numbers need to be coded to the car else I may have some electronics fail?
I have no idea of whether any special programming needs to be done -- coding a battery serial number in doesn't make any sense to me (FWIW), as a battery simply supplies power and wound not (AFAIK) transmit identifying info/serial numbers in conjunction with supplying power . . .
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM
onedah
Track Day

I wanted to provide an update for the group. My Local Porsche Dealer came back with a very competitive price on the replacement battery and labor so I just got them to do it. The final cost was $450 (incl Tax) for Battery and Labor from Porsche. That about $50 more than the no dealer price however avoided the hassle of taking the car somewhere else and waiting etc.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 PM
clorigo
Instructor

I suspect that it may be coded for record keeping, but I know of no way for a battery to communicate. I do believe there is probably about 5-10 systems that need to relearn in the 2011 (more in the 2014+). In the 2011 things like the window one touch operation, the sun roof, etc. I think the newer ones with electronic stearing have procedures to do with teaching steering angle.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:55 PM
dragan
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Onedah how do you like the Interstate MT5-49/H8 Battery? Do you have any issues with it? How does it hold its charge?

Quick Reply: 2011 Panamera Turbo Battery