Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

new to panamera

Old 12-22-2014, 03:06 PM
macfly4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to panamera

Hey guys...coming from the 928 forum. I have been thinking about a panamera for a long time and am now getting the bug.
i would be using this up in Maine as a mostly daily driver so really would need the all wheel drive. thinking about the 4 vs the turbo.
few questions:

- can anyone comment on using either of these models in the snow? i have seen some folks say they work brilliantly in snow so wondered if it would actually be reasonable.
- any special things to consider for specific model years? I am looking at getting it as a previously owned and right now the 2011/12 models seem to be the sweetspot with price.
anything about the 2011 or 12 that I should know to be aware of or concerned about? anything much beter about the 12/or 2013 to make going up a year worth it?
- is the turbo livable as a daily drive or do you find it to be just too much car for running around?

thanks!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:37 PM
macfly4
Rennlist Member

This panamera section appears to be a little quieter! while i am at it guess i will throw in another few questions....
searching around for previously owned models has proven frustrating trying to get most of the options together on one car.
For any of you that drive this car in snowy climes......is the rear window wiper a necessity? can this item be added to a car without one for any kind of reasonable price?
I would guess that snow just piles up quickly on that sloped rear window.
also, can the burmester be retrofit if it comes with the Bose system?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't think the rear wiper is anywhere near a necessity. Just turn on the rear defroster when it starts snowing and you're fine. For me, the only two necessities are the lane change alert system and the back up camera system (which covers the front as well).

I have no idea whether the Burmester sound system can be retrofitted but the Bose is pretty darn good as far as my ears can tell.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 PM
macfly4
Rennlist Member

i guess it depends on the rate of snowfall and temperatures. so even in bad rain you guys without rear wipers don't find rearward vision is a problem?
Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default no need for a rear wiper...

Originally Posted by macfly4
i guess it depends on the rate of snowfall and temperatures. so even in bad rain you guys without rear wipers don't find rearward vision is a problem?
Use Aquapel Glass Treatment on the windshield, rear window and side windows. Much better than another treatment ans lasts for the winter season in MA. Might even try it on the exterior rear view mirrors. When the snowfall rate is very high not much that one can do except to try to stay ahead of ice accumulation on the windshield. To me a rear wiper can be more of a problem than a solution.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:03 PM
dnsacks
Track Day

macfly -- rear vision is not one of the panamera's strong suits out of the box, so while a rear wiper is nice to have (imo), it shouldn't be a deal breaker -- further, the rear wiper does not include a washer . . .

You mention choosing between a panamera 4 and a turbo -- The panamera 4 comes with a 3.6 liter v6 engine which (imo) leaves the car a bit underpowered. You should definitely test drive the various models and should seek out a panamera 4s (and/or Panamera GTS) for a test drive, these models use a N/A version of the turbo's V8 and are (imo) a lot of fun to drive.

Finally, although this is our first winter with our '15 GTS, now that we've installed winter tires (Pirelli Sottozero II) I'm confident its 4wd system will handle Denver's winter weather without problem -- even my '86 911 is quite winter-capable when shod with good winter tires.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:33 PM
macfly4
Rennlist Member

The more i read, the more i am becoming infatuated with the turbo as the way to go. The weight seems more than offest by the prodigious power. The 4s comments i have read note that the weight of the engines can lead to a bit more nose heavy feel.
And the turbo is just crazy capable...a super car and daily driver in one!
The videos i have seen with capable drivers make it sound like it handles on par or better than some top italian players.
I realize its a but of logical gymnastics to justify trading in my X5 for this, living in Maine. I actually really love the X5 and feel it suits the on road as well as crappy muddy season here. But the panamera is just so damn sexy.
The x5 works as a grocery getter and travel car .....would this ? Or would it be too much?
Sigh
Old 12-24-2014, 05:14 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't forget about the Panamera GTS. To some, it's even more fun than the turbo! Have a look at the reviews of the car on YouTube.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:12 PM
dnsacks
Track Day

to amplify on DES GTS' comment, don't rule out the GTS -- it has much of the turbo's heavier duty trappings (air suspension, 4wd, bigger brakes, etc.) but also provides the immediate throttle response (and seductive exhaust note) of a non-turbo engine. While the Turbo's ultimately faster, the GTS provides a VERY engaging driver experience (and can also be quite civilized when necessary).

Compared to an SUV, the panamera's cargo hold is shorter and smaller, but with the back seats folded down, it has a prodigious amount of cargo space, making it a superior grocery getter and travel car. One thing to mention though -- due to space concerns the panamera does not have a spare tire and is not equipped with run-flat tires -- instead, it's supplied with fix-a-flat and a compressor. FYI
Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 PM
macfly4
Rennlist Member

just noticed some cars seem to have a large rear center console on it. why would someone order this option? it looks like it cannot fold down so kind of defeats the purpose of both seats folding down, doesn't it?
anyone know if that can be removed and swapped out with the normal one or does it have something to do with the adjustable rear seat option?
Old 12-25-2014, 04:13 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, check the GTS ! ..Big time.
I went for a 4S, after driving Turbo, S and 4S, because :
Imo, the transition time between Grand Fa mode to wild mode seem (to me) to take "for ever" with a turbo.
note:
.a turbo needs rpm to build pressure and get HP's
.PDK is instant to go from 7 to 6, but...
. it takes long to go, i.e. from 7 to 3, !
I have no idea how you can keep your driver license if you drive a turbo in such a way to have pressure on the turbos ..all the time.
In my case (true, it is personal) if you buy a car with 400 or more hps, and you .use it (miles) on open roads, what is nice is a car that can "switch" very quickly from "grand fa" to "wild" mode, ..and a turbo is simply not very good to do "that", ..and a turbo with pdk, is just BAD at it.
Imo, ONLY a V8 NA is able to offer this "flexibility".
..I'm sure that all the 928 fans knows "that" very well.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:22 AM
clorigo
Instructor

I have a 2011 turbo and love it. Never driven the GTS version. I understand in 2013 a lot of the bugs known in the earlier models were fixed at the factory (whistling, creaking front suspension,etc.). Also I understand the innards of the PDK were upgraded providing smoother starts and quicker shifts.

The issues mention can be fixed (if they exist) with visits to the dealership as know issues - the pdk cannot. However I have driven a 2014 cayman s and q 2015 macan turbo and can tell you the pdk is better but the 2011 I have is not bad (not enough to deter a purchase obviously for me )

To your comment about the quietness of this section - I wish it were not! Was introduced to this site when I had my first Porsche and loved it. Would like to see this community grow here to the activity levels in other sections.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my first 1000 miles with my 2013 CPO'd GTS the PDK is very smooth and quick. The car now has 16k miles. The throttle blips on downshifts work flawlessly and the upshifts are very smooth. The suspension and brakes are excellent. My perspective on the PDK is based on my 5300 miles in my 2015 991 TTS. So far the GTS exceeds all my expectations. Perhaps because I get to experience turbo thrust in the TTS I do not miss it in the GTS, but the GTS has more than enough grunt for my DD needs and it is a very satisfying car to drive. I had considered ordering a Macan Turbo, but the availability of a Pan GTS with the color and options that I would have ordered anyway was too good a deal to pass up. The combination is very rare nationally, or at least was for the period before I found the one I wanted at a dealer 10 miles from my home.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:24 AM
the_teapot
6th Gear

Love my 2012 turbo. Not a DD for me but I don't see any reason it couldn't be. Great, capable, fun car!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 AM
macfly4
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the wandering in thisnthread but figured it could be a catch all thread....
Ive been looking at cars with the mahogany metallic color. Has anyone thought that this color seems to have changed for porsche over the years? A 2010 and 2011 model looked a bit lighter and as if the metal flake was a little larger than the 2015 brown i am seeing on the lot.
Does porsche alter a formulation of paint called by the same name even slightly as years go by? Maybe its just my imagination

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to panamera