Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Buying Panamera within a week HELP/ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 PM
CrockettHood
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Panamera within a week HELP/ADVICE

I'm the new guy and look forward to being a part of the forum. I plan to buy a 2010-2011 Panamera within the next week and need some advice quick.

I am looking for one still under factory warranty at least with enough time/mileage left for me to make sure there are no underlying issues. I definitely want the V-8 and the turbo is out of my price range.

Now the main question to S or 4S ?? I am leaning towards the 4S, but need guidance. I live in the Atlanta area so winters aren't really a factor however we get a lot of rain. Is this something that should be a deal breaker if I find the color, options, miles, and price that I like?? I am really torn on this aspect. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

What are the "must have" options? I know it's to each their own, but I am a rookie with the Porsche brand and don't want to end up with regrets. For example, Sport Chrono package plus, Adaptive Air Suspension...are these the way to go? What are the functions of each? I have read up on them, but would like real world examples etc. I know I want front seat ventilation as it gets hot here in the south. I really want the 20" 911 Turbo II wheels. Adds a lot to the look in my opinion. I would like to have the adaptive cruise control, but haven't found one on the used market with this feature yet. I definitely want the rear camera with front/rear park assist. Is a heated steering wheel standard? Is the rear spoiler standard? Does the rear spoiler retract on all models? What controls this?

I have found one that has peaked my interest. The main thing holding me back on it is it's a "S," not 4S. Otherwise it has plenty of warranty left. No accidents or paint work. Sport Chrono Package Plus, Adaptive Air Suspension, 20" Turbo II Wheels, Front Seat Ventilation, Bluetooth, Park Assist with Rear Camera, Variable Assist Power Steering, Burmester Stereo, XM, Birch Anthracite Interior, Universal Audio Interface, Black Full Leather, Crest Front Headrests.

I would probably jump on this one because it is my top two color choice and has the options I mainly want. But....it's not the 4S...just S. And the seller is going to have to come down some more on the price, but you get my dilemma I hope.

I read somewhere that on some Panameras it isn't full leather? What's the deal with this? Is the Birch Anthracite real wood?

So please chime in. What options are you glad you have? What options do you wish you would have gotten? And the BIG question S or 4S or is it even that big of a deal? I'm sure I have forgot to ask some questions that I have thought up over the past week or so while shopping. Thanks for your time and I hope this thread blows up with guidance!!

Almost forgot....just how good is the Burmester stereo system?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 PM
dbp4s
2nd Gear

Welcome to the brand and model. You will not regret it. The 4S provides that extra degree of confidence in all forms of inclement weather (I drive a 2011 4S). However, it is not critical. What is more important is Sports Chrono (provides options for sportier gearing and suspension), Air Suspension (for unstable roads). Burmeister is nice but not critical. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 4S in California, ..and rain was the (very good) motivation.
It is true that when we get rain after months of sunny days, the roads being very oily, and not regularly washed, the first rain on that case makes the roads quite close to ice.
You appreciate big time 4WDs in such cases !
Over the years, I become more and more fully convinced of 4WD.
After a LOT of miles in 2WD 911 as daily, my last 911 was a C4, and the difference was huge.

If you think at the base of the "concept", accelerating ..is the reverse operation of braking, right ?
So, would you consider a car that only have brakes on 2 wheels ?

Btw, I more than fully agree with Dbp4s : Sport Chrono and Air Suspension are also imo "must have" !
For some details, take a look at my topic (after 30 years, good bye 911, hello Panamera), you will find a summary of 10 thousand miles, since Feb this year !
I do not use the ventilated seat that much, I felt that this is "too cold", but I use the heated steering wheel a lot, it is great to warm your hands on the mornings.
But, I think these "details" are very personal.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 09-26-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:37 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the 4S. It's quicker off the line with the extra traction.

I would highly recommend the rear view backup camera option because the rear parking visibility is poor. You never know how long and wide the car is until you are backing up. It always makes me nervous in a tight parking spot. The rear parking sensors are next to useless without the camera.

The Sport Chrono package is nice to have but not essential IMHO. It quickens the throttle response even further but is a bit of an overkill for everyday use because the 4S is already a rocketship.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM
CrockettHood
8th Gear

So it sounds like I should definitely go with the 4S. I guess that means the search continues. The one I had found has everything I want, but its the S. It isn't easy to find the exact car I'm looking for. I'm being patient though. It's out there for the right price I'm sure!!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 PM
tkdinga
Track Day

Default S or 4S

Sounds like the S you are looking at has everything you would ever need or want. I bought an Agate Grey/Blk 2013 S and I live in Atl. You don't need the 4S here, trust me. With All Season Tires, you'll never have a problem in Atl in the Winter. The Porsche will be very sure-footed in wet weather, mine is and we have all of what, 2 snow days in Winter where you might leave it at home, probably unnecessarily anyway? I have the same options except the 20" wheels but frankly, the 19's will be as comfortable and less prone to pothole damage in the long run so that's okay. I think you do want the Sport Chrono Package Plus, Adaptive Air Suspension, Front Seat Ventilation, Bluetooth, Park Assist with Rear Camera, Steering, and either Bose or Burmester. The Birch Anthracite Interior is absolutely gorgeous, and yes, it is real wood. Looks great w/a black interior. You don't need full leather but it's nice to have except you have to take care of it occasionally to preserve it. (Had it in a 911.) Best of luck, you won't go wrong. If you need a great Sales Rep/Dealer, go see Chris Morea at Jim Ellis!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Chumpster
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally nothing but AWD cars for me ever again. Options...voice control and electronic logbook are useless, dvd changer is kind of an obsolete item. I also agree adaptive air is key (!), chrono package right behind it, then Bluetooth for speakerphone. I love the adaptive cruise. IMHO avoid Insulated glass (hides exhaust note leaving too much transmission whine), and the ceramic brakes (really horrible squealing after a while). Burmeister and sport exhaust are fun but did not live up to my expectations. Seat air and heat deliver just what you expect. Let us know what you do!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:41 AM
CrockettHood
8th Gear

I'm leaning towards the S that has all of the options I want. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is its not a 4S. It's is a sharp car and has a 100K warranty with 44K current miles which would be comforting. Thanks for all the advice so far. I will let everyone know what I end up doing. And feel free to throw some more advice my way!!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CrockettHood
I'm leaning towards the S that has all of the options I want. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is its not a 4S. It's is a sharp car and has a 100K warranty with 44K current miles which would be comforting. Thanks for all the advice so far. I will let everyone know what I end up doing. And feel free to throw some more advice my way!!
The steering feel on the S is much better than the 4S or the Turbo. For me I would only get an S - a GTS or a Turbo as I live in Southern California. If you don't need the AWD for weather the S will do just fine, have better steering feel and is a lighter car - all adds up to a great car.

If you find and S you like and don't need AWD for weather in your area, buy it!

Burnmeister - I have it in my PTT and I would not by any Panny without it - it makes the car so much more enjoyable!

Good luck finding the car you want.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

A week is not a long time to find the car that will be the best fit. Why such a short time?

I've bought bought two Porsches, a Mercedes and a Lexus on eBay. There are ways to do that safely, that can be shared if you have the time. Also, autotrader is a great resource.

If you are not as comfortable with those options try the Porsche Dealer Used Car Search:

Porsche CPO Used Car Dealer Search

Lease returns are an option too.

A PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) might cost a few hundred bucks, but you may save $10,000 or more in the process. A little time and work might get you into the turbo for the same price as the car you find in a week.

Get the one that's absolutely perfect for you and you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

This previous thread gives a good overview of the various models, especially the post by Carrera GT:

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...-s-and-4s.html
Old 10-15-2013, 01:04 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

A lot of good advice so far.
I've had my 4S for a year after switching from a Panamera V6 (non S)
The grip on tight corners is incredible on the 4S. The steering does feel heavier than my previous car, but I like it that way.

The options I enjoy the most are:
Sports Exhaust. For me this is an absolute must have.
Bose Sound
Ventilated Seats
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2010 TT. Love burmeister and sport exhaust. Have and Need back up camera and parking sensors. Wish I had lane departure sensors. Visibility is a bit of a challenge.
Would get the best car for the money, and As long of a warranty as possible.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

2013 GTS....LOVE this mo fo!

As others have said, LCA is almost mandatory, as this car has major blindspots. Back-up camera and sensors also quite nice. if you don't get the GTS, I think you will be bummed if you don't check the PSE box....Everything else is likely really just personal preference

Quick Reply: Buying Panamera within a week HELP/ADVICE