Panamera 2010-Current

Is a Turbo S worth the premium over a Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Is a Turbo S worth the premium over a Turbo

I am in the market for a Panamera Turbo and recently drive a Turbo and Turbo S back to back. I enjoyed both but the S was a little bit special. The delta is around $35K and I am not sure if it is worth the difference based on the short (10 mile) test drives back to back. Anyone else have any experience with both models?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess it all comes down to what does "worth it" mean to you? From a depreciation standpoint? From an exclusivity standpoint? From a power standpoint?

The answer to this question, like every other question, is "it depends"...
Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a turbo as part of my buying decision, but not an "S." Ended up with the GTS, so you know where my heart lay. I think the Turbo "S" would be awesome from a "bragging" rights perspective, but unless you were a track animal, I'd have to imagine you would never utilize more than 6/10 on normal roads, if that. Plus, you;d also have to change the exhaust and some other goodies I believe. If you have not driven the GTS, I suggest that you also put that one into the hunt. I just found that out of the gate, the GTS was just much mor visceral, engaging, sounded amazing, etc.

Then again, I see that you drive a GT3 as a DD, which in and of itself makes you unique. Awesome car, but no way I could see driving it everyday, so i'm thinking you are likely the kind of guy that would really use and appreciate the PTS.

Also, do a search in this thread for TKerrMD One heckuva nice guy, and is fortunate to have a beauty of a red TurboS Seems very knowledgeable about the cars as well, and can likely give you balanced views.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Wink Turbo v Turbo S

Not worth the premium from my perspective. If not averse to minor, reversible mods, the extra 50hp in power can be easily surpassed with a regular turbo and a good ecu program such as GIAC(who offers a switchable stock/performance program for dealer service). Add exhaust (swap to 200cell sport cats and xpipe and keep stock mufflers) and intake (plenum/filter) and you are looking at 600+hp on 91oct.-a significant, noticeable and worthwhile change on this car. The exhaust is a must have on the turbo given the sedate exhaust note in comparison to the GTS. These mods would run about a quarter of the $35k premium to go with a PTS. A well kept, preowned PT with the above mods added is a great deal as I've done for exactly the reasons mentioned. I did not need the extra badging and like the sleeper effect. I'm very pleased with the results and have been running it trouble free for over 10k miles. Initially, Porsche used different turbos in the PTS package but later made a change(due to problems with the Ti Turbo's used when first released) and went with the same turbo's as the PT with modified ECU programming-Porsche marketing at play here ( they do the same with the latest Cayenne Turbo and TS and new 991 Turbo and TS). This is the only difference between the 2 cars other than the badging, everything else available on the PTS can be ordered on the PT with PDCC/PTV and Sport Chrono being advisable-Burmester too if you are into tunes.

Last edited by NelsonF; 06-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Yes, I currently DD a 997.2 GT3 but I need something that will be more of a comfortable but enjoyable high speed cruiser that will see mostly highway miles, I don't think a GTS is what I am looking for. The question for me is a Turbo or a Turbo S.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Like Nelson I have a Turbo with IPD Plennum and GIAC Tune - it is awesome. I think if your are buying new then the premium is pretty high and I decided it was not worth it for me as a DD. The mods improve the car and make it just that much better.

When buying used you have to remember because of the options you can have what appears to be a delta between 2 cars, but turns out one has $40k of options and one has $10k of options - and generally used the options don't return their cost to the Seller.

Good luck finding what you want - you will be very happy with a PTT or a PTTS.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well went through the same decisions as most on this board, GTS vs PTT vs PTTS

I think everyone has different wants in a car and so different choices and lets face it not of the above is a bad choice!!

I dont think the money for an S is "technically" worth it. and agree a regurlar turbo can be made to "beat" an S with mods cheaper than the delta between the two cars

but what is the reason you need to go from a 500 hp to 600hp 4000pound street car anyway?

cause we are all different.

I personally got the turbo S because planned on running some DE sessions while racing my GT-1 996 twin turbo (850hp and 2800pounds) So nothing for me to prove ever on the street but enjoy high hp and performance at the track. I will run my PTTS at Daytona again for fun and with the above mods mentioned which I have also done, I have maximum hp on tap

for street guys who like a little extra power go turbo and mod ya dont need the S

for the guys who get the S, they will know why, it may be unable to explain but yes to me it was worth it for others your results may vary

great choice to have!!

tom

Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On paper, I don't think you can justify a Turbo S over a Turbo. Big price difference for differences only a very few will be able to identify. I doubt if you look at used models, there is that big of a price difference. If you de-badge it (which we did), I am not sure you can tell the difference until you get inside. I have tried, but have not been able to identify differences. Need to park one of each side by side.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM
keithos27
Racer

The only visible difference, other than badges, is that the Turbo S models get the spoiler (by default, can be changed to black via option) in the same body color. If you get a black Turbo S then that makes no difference.

Also, the Turbo S got the 5 mm spacers by default, whereas that was an option on the Turbo. That's pretty much impossible to tell, though.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 Turbo S, carbon grey with cream/marsala interior. RS wheels, Burmester, and all the usual convenience options. 6K miles, am paying $135K.

I'll post pictures once I take delivery next week.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM
keithos27
Racer

Congratulations! That's quite a nice savings vs. new! Enjoy it in health. Also, don't get into the car if it's been raining and your clothes are wet... I heard the cream sets are near impossible to keep clean with wet clothes and/or jeans.

PICS!!!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow....the drop off in prices on used cars is just staggering.....congrats!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 PM
phonetics
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithos27
I guess it all comes down to what does "worth it" mean to you? From a depreciation standpoint? From an exclusivity standpoint? From a power standpoint?

The answer to this question, like every other question, is "it depends"...

if my staff talk to me like this, he is going to have a hard time .. I hate it when I ask a question and I got 4 - 5 questions in return.. the man asked his question fine.. you could shut up if you have nothing to say ..
Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by phonetics
.. you could shut up if you have nothing to say ..
Pot, meet kettle...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by twk63
I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 Turbo S
Congrats!

That sounds like a beautiful combination, looking forward to seeing the pictures. You will love the car, I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Is a Turbo S worth the premium over a Turbo