Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Is my battery not getting sufficiently charged by the alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is my battery not getting sufficiently charged by the alternator?

Mine is a MY 2011. The battery measures 12.0v on my voltmeter with the car sitting in my garage. I've heard a good battery at 100% state of charge should read 12.7v. I drove the car just 12 hours ago for about 30 miles. So the reading is on the lower end of the scale. Should I be concerned? If I need to get a charger, what type do I need as I'm not sure the type of battery the car has. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't worry about it. 12V with the engine not running is fine, since it is a 12V battery after all! It should read higher when the car is running, but you can easily see that with the voltmeter.

You don't need a trickle charger unless you plan on having the car sit unused for several consecutive weeks at a time. If you do, then any name brand "smart" charger should do, such as "Battery Tender". If in doubt (and you want to spend a whole bunch of money) then get an official Porsche charger.

And your 2011 should still be under warranty unless you drive a heck of a lot, so if you're not happy with any of the answers here, just take it in and have them check it for you!

Quick Reply: Is my battery not getting sufficiently charged by the alternator?