Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

dog in the back of Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
kutsyy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dog in the back of Panamera

I am thinking about getting a Panamera so I was wondering if anyone is using back hatchback area (with back seats up) to carry a dog. Is there a crate which would fit there or do you just put a dog there?

Thanks,

Vadim
Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
awryexperiment
Intermediate

Probably not a good idea for car or canine. I would only take my dogs in the p-car in an emergency where my other vehicles are unavailable. Even then, I would throw a blanket in the front or rear seat rather than putting them in the way-back.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM
kip1
Instructor

Rarely happens, but have a waterproof cover in the back that has loops for hanging on seat, available almost in any dog shop. It comes handy if needing to transport something on the seats also. Also dog has its own seatbelt connected to the cars belt to prevent it from hitting anyone else in the car in case of an accident, also prevents the dog from changing place. 100% safety for the car seats for many years now.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM
drjsuh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have a very small dog, I don't think that the back hatchback area of a Panamera is appropriate for a dog given the low roofline/lack of height i n the back area. Also, the opening is much higher then most traditional hatchbacks, so it would be tough for a dog to jump into the back without a ramp or human help. I have a larger dog (70 lb mastiff mix) and take her with me everywhere in both my Panamera and C4, but never put her in the back as there is no possible way that she would fit. I got a dog hammock and doggie bed for the rear seat and she loves it. The doggie hair everywhere in a new porsche was a bit painful at first, but you will get used to it!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have 2 Bernese mountain dogs that will ride on occasion and was wondering the same!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
kutsyy
AutoX

Thanks everyone, I guess for rides with both of my kids and a dog, we will continue to use my wife's SUV.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
drjsuh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love bernese mountain dogs! They definitely would not be happy in the trunk of a panamera. Here is a pic of Issa in the Panamera. Sorry for the poor iPhone pic and poor lighting, but took this quickly when my co-worker on the east coast wanted evidence that I actually allowed my puppy to sit in the new porsche with me. I have to say that the funny looks, laughs, and photos that folks take when rolling around town with the pup in the porsche is quite entertaining!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Blues Guy (10-18-2021)
Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cute! I meant in the back seat!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 PM
dochusar
Advanced

Personally, I would not transport my canines in any Porsche except in an emergency. I would place them in the backseat and taking appropriate precautions for protecting the rear seat and all of the controls by a cover. I have other vehicles in which I transport my dogs which were designed to carry animals more effectively.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM
BuddyP
Track Day

We own 2 wire fox terriers and carry them in the back seat of our 2012 S all the time. They are crated. We put a thick blanket down to protect the seats and center console. The crates go over the blanket. We use bunji cords to support the crates by wrapping them through the crate handle and the head rests. This works fine for us, and the dogs seem to like traveling safely and in style.

I doubt there is enough room in the back area except for a tiny dog. It's never a good idea to allow a dog to be loose in any car. That isn't safe for the dog or the driver.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Very cool. Can you post a pic of your setup? I need to set something up for my dogs.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Blues Guy (10-18-2021)

Quick Reply: dog in the back of Panamera