Panamera 2010-Current

Top Gear reviews the GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Top Gear reviews the GTS

Bluntly, this is the best Panamera in the range. If you have to have a Panamera, this is the one.

Every Porsche range seems to get more bewildering given time, and the Panamera isn't immune to a variant list that reproduces like a virus. Enter the new GTS, pitched to slot neatly under the Turbo and above the 4S.

In fact, it's a bit of both: the front end is basically nicked from the Turbo (headlights, intakes), along with the active rear spoiler. Any chrome is replaced with sober black trim - including around the headlights and windowlines, and there are a few less subtle graphics along the side and a double pairing of matt-black sports exhausts. Ok, so it still resembles a blushing whale in its GTS-specific carmine red paint, but at least it's going in the right direction.

Underneath, there's more of the same, a kind of non-turbo Panamera Turbo. So all-wheel drive with Porsche Traction Management and Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus to give 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds and 179mph. The engine is the same 4.8-litre naturally aspirated V8 found in the 4S, but tweaked to produce 30bhp more, revving some 400rpm higher to 7,100rpm. The result is 430bhp (just 70bhp shy of the forced-induction car) and 384lb ft of torque, but delivered via a free-revving engine tuned by good old-fashioned mechanical changes rather than just an electronic spanner applied to the ECU.

So the GTS gets a new induction system with a couple of new air-filter modules - behind the two intakes in the bottom of the front bumper - that open above 3,500rpm, modified intake camshafts, harder valve springs and tweaked engine management to make best use of the extra air and revs.

Bluntly, this is the best Panamera in the range. Mighty power delivered through a long, sweet rev-band, and a bonkers V8 soundtrack, helped by the Porsche Sound Symposer that pipes engine noise direct to a membrane in the A-pillar. The Turbo (and Turbo S, for that matter) end up being a little dominated by the way the engine makes power, but the GTS is exciting and willing, without being scary.

You can really hammer the throttle and explore the Panamera's surprisingly agile chassis and drivetrain without falling foul of turbo torque. You have to expend more effort to really drive it, but the rewards are far greater. More drama, more fun, more of the time. If you have to have a Panamera, this is the one.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM
renaissance.man
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review! I am thinking about picking up one for the misses. Just waiting to see what they do with the pending facelift. Can you post the full link?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by renaissance.man
Great review! I am thinking about picking up one for the misses. Just waiting to see what they do with the pending facelift. Can you post the full link?
Here it is:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/porsche/pa...est/gts-driven

I'm driving one, and I can tell you I'm having more fun driving it every day. The response of the engine and chassis is as good as any street car I've driven, and the sound is just absolutely nuts!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I just drove it and it is brilliant. I have driven the S and the turbo but this just blew them away. The chassis is tuned extremely well. The engine has the right amount of power and throttle response. It felt like a much smaller car. It was almost tossable. It sounded great. There was some understeer in tighter corners but I think the front tires were underinflated and rolling. Overall I would take it over the M5, E63 or the Panamera turbo.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I just drove it and it is brilliant. I have driven the S and the turbo but this just blew them away. The chassis is tuned extremely well. The engine has the right amount of power and throttle response. It felt like a much smaller car. It was almost tossable. It sounded great. There was some understeer in tighter corners but I think the front tires were underinflated and rolling. Overall I would take it over the M5, E63 or the Panamera turbo.
+100....As soon as the lease on my M3 convertible is over (10 months), this is my next car for sure. I drove the Turbo and GTS back to back, and I honestly preferred the GTS. Sure, the Turbo was faster, and has the "bragging rights" factor, but the car simply felt disconnected from the road.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Here it is:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/porsche/pa...est/gts-driven

I'm driving one, and I can tell you I'm having more fun driving it every day. The response of the engine and chassis is as good as any street car I've driven, and the sound is just absolutely nuts!
Sounds great....pics?

Quick Reply: Top Gear reviews the GTS