Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:19 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Panamera 4 Loaner

Had a P4 loaner for the past 2 days and wanted to share my impressions. To start off, I am not a Panamera hater. I drive a 997 C4 and always thought that I'd like to migrate to a Panamera when the time came.
On the good side:
I was impressed with its ride. Exceeding refined, smooth, and solid. The handing is surprisingly good and quite responsive.The interior is wonderfully luxurious and reeks of being an expensive car. Despite being around for a couple of years, the Panamera still draws attention. Multiple friends and family members, including those familiar with other luxury models, were still "oohing and ah-hing" over the car. I have to admit that the car looked great in my garage and creates a much different aura than my 911.
On the not so good side:
The C4 is slow. While almost acceptable once at speed, it has mediocre acceleration off the line and the transmission is dying to upshift unless the throttle in buried to the floor. In addition, driving the car is uninvolving. So little visceral feedback, too insulated for my taste. Hate to say it but it seemed less fun than I remember my BMW 540 6 speed being in the late 90's.

Overall, I can't see buying one for myself, at least without upgrading to the S or 4S. Really disappointing. Although it has a lot going for it, it also has lots of deterrents. I think that those who've described the Panamera as 911-like in driving characteristics are delusional.

Last edited by mb1; 04-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Nothing drives like a 911. The Cayman is actually a better chassis, and gives even better road feel, but the Panamera is a long way from driving like a 911.

That said, the GTS is the closest thing to a 911 with 4 doors you can get.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM
bronx41
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera

Carrera can't carry four passengers and two sets of golf clubs. One is a pure sports car and one is a great sport sedan. I have a 2011 BMW 535 and a 2012 Panamera v6. Plenty of acceleration particularly in the sport mode and handles as well as the boxster I just sold. Given the choice any day I drive the Panamera and my wife drives the BMW. I never thought I would find a sedan better than a BMW but I did.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
sal
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also just bit the Panamera 4 bullet. I have both sort and sport plus mode plus turbo wheels and a bunch of other goodies.
After 5 911 turbos, last a 997tt, I can honestly say I really love this car. Not the rush of a 911tt but a beautiful touring car.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:24 AM
brucebell
Track Day

Originally Posted by mb1
I think that those who've described the Panamera as 911-like in driving characteristics are delusional.
Possibly, but it really depends on your frame of reference. Owning both an '05 996 turbo S and a '12 pano turbo I can assure, and agree with you, that there is a huge difference in the drive between these two cars. However; I came to the Panamera Turbo via an Audi S8 then a 2011 E63 and, from that reference point the panny is more like a 911. Trust me, I love them both; but, guess which one is my daily driver!

Bruce

Last edited by brucebell; 06-15-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spellng
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Bruce - what did you think of the Merc E63? Along with the Panny GTS, and possibly the M5, that car is also on my short list when my current lease is up.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Have the Panamera v6 for the wife and it is a very nice car to drive especially as a daily driver (the few times I've driven it). Does not compare to my C4S but then again those two cars do different things. One is a pure sports car and made for the track experience and the street while the other is a sports sedan with elements of 911 and Boxster/Cayman, and Cayenne built into it and intertwined. It IMHO is one of the best sport sedans out there and you can't go wrong for long range cruising and driving especially with my family of 4. Fits us all easily and being currently on crutches I can say of all the vehicles we have it impresses me the most in terms of interior space and leg room! Better than my A7 and at time I would be hard pressed/torn to get a Panamera 4S for myself. LOL But then again it is not my C4S I agree...but then again I don't want it to be.

All that said having driven the Panamera, C4S, Boxster, and the old/new Cayenne I CAN say Wow, Porsche makes some very nice cars!

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 Loaner