GTS v. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:19 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GTS v. Turbo

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Congratulations! The PGTS is a very engaging sedan that is as close to a sports car as there is. Won't win stoplight races or come close to even a stock 991 TTS on the track, but somehow it works at many levels. Hardens up when needed in corners, yet in comfort mode tracks as surely as any car on the highway with serious confidence and comfort. Can't teleport like the 991 TTS, but its stance, presence and exhaust note are uncommon. The GTS interior is unique and striking.
Such a great car. I just found the drive more engaging than the Panamera Turbo
Old 10-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Bruce Thompson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion. I'm coming from an M4 and looking to move to either an RS7 or Panamera GTS or Turbo. I like the fact that the Panamera looks like a sports car tricked out as a sedan, rather than the other way around.

Anyway, my criteria are that the car has to have awd, I have to be able to stick my bike in the back (which I can do no problem in the M4 with the front wheel off), has to seat 4 comfortably, and I'd like a bit more exclusivity. I also need to be able to put it in comfort mode and not have the car go bumpty bump over evry road imperfection (the M4 is definitely a stiff car, even in comfort mode). There are times, like when driving my wife into the city for dinner, when I want to forget that I'm driving a performance car.

So I like the torque down low on the M4 ( I do a lot of local driving on tight curvy roads) and I figure that with what I'll give up to the GTS, I'll make up for with the awd. My concern is that I might miss the endless pull of the turbo.

Here's the question. is it possible to get a tune on the GTS from a reputable company that won't invalidate the warranty?

To me that might be an amazing solution and a bargain at that.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Goonie
Track Day

Originally Posted by Preeble
I just test drove both cars. I would agree that in the common trim packages, the GTS is the fun one. However, few turbos are equipped with the sport package and in my opinion, this is a must have option in the turbo. I strongly suspect that few turbos are ever ordered with this pacakge unless it is a custom order.
what is the sport option?

Whats the difference between PTT and GTS interior?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goonie
what is the sport option?

Whats the difference between PTT and GTS interior?
You can see all of the package details on the Porsche website in addition to what comes standard with the car. The highlight of the GTS interior is the alcantara seats, which are somewhat unique to the GTS. I really like the alcantara interior, but unfortunately, few Turbos come with them as I believe this needs to be ordered as an exclusive option.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Goonie
Track Day

so just alcantara seats? doesnt the headliner come in alcantara in all models?

curious what sport options the base GTS has that the PTT doesn't. Chrono? PDCC? Maybe mine is a fully loaded PTT
Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Main diff of the GTS vs turbo is alcantara interior, sport exhaust and sport design steering wheel. I suspect the throttle mapping is different as well. PDCC is an option on both cars.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 PM
PanaTaco
2nd Gear

The biggest items for me was the Sport Design Package, Burmester, and PCCB, in that order. If I could not get the Sport Design Package on the turbo, it would have been the GTS for me. I too have a fully optioned turbo and have never second guessed my decision.

Last edited by PanaTaco; 10-13-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Bruce Thompson
6th Gear

I'm have an appointment to test drive a GTS and a PTT tomorrow. They also have an RS7 and I'll be driving all three.

Given that the P's both seem to be base models (with the exception of 18 way seats on the GTS -- the GTS is $110k and the PTT is $140k), I'm wondering how should I interpret the test drive?

More than likely, if I decide to go with one of the P's, I'd order it with PDCC and also with the Sport package on the PTT. From what I've read, I'm concerned that I might get turned off without it.

For reference I'm coming from an M4 and an M5 before that. I'm looking for a car that truly can be comfortable in comfort mode, as well as a monster when I want it to be. For reference, the M4 is quite torquey with 425 ft lb on a 3450 lb car. And I like that because much of my driving is from home to work on narrow and very curvy suburban Boston roads.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

If you can hold off for a little I would recommend ordering a 2nd generation Panamera.. It will be revealed in Geneva in March... I'll let the GTS/Turbo owners chime in on the current models..
Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Bruce Thompson
6th Gear

The next Gen is supposed to be lighter by quite a bit, right?
Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 AM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson
The next Gen is supposed to be lighter by quite a bit, right?
Yes.. Lighter, more power, a bit larger, better looking.. Think Panamera Grand Turismo Sport but just not a shooting brake design..
Old 10-21-2015, 09:23 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can't go wrong with either the PTT and PGTS

Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson
I'm have an appointment to test drive a GTS and a PTT tomorrow. They also have an RS7 and I'll be driving all three.

Given that the P's both seem to be base models (with the exception of 18 way seats on the GTS -- the GTS is $110k and the PTT is $140k), I'm wondering how should I interpret the test drive?

More than likely, if I decide to go with one of the P's, I'd order it with PDCC and also with the Sport package on the PTT. From what I've read, I'm concerned that I might get turned off without it.

For reference I'm coming from an M4 and an M5 before that. I'm looking for a car that truly can be comfortable in comfort mode, as well as a monster when I want it to be. For reference, the M4 is quite torquey with 425 ft lb on a 3450 lb car. And I like that because much of my driving is from home to work on narrow and very curvy suburban Boston roads.

Any thoughts?
Obviously, the turbo thrust is the difference dynamically between the PGTS and PTTS, aside from the significant price difference. I prefer the GTS interior, but the air conditioned 18 way seats in the PTT are impressive. My overall preference is the PGTS and my reference is my 991 TTS from a speed perspective. I enjoy my PGTS at least as much as my 991 TTS. In comfort mode the PGTS is quite impressive for highway cruising and IMO better than my former A8. Fact is that the PGTS is plenty powerful, unless drag racing is a factor. The 18 way alcantera seats in my PGTS are quite comfortable and supportive, if not ventilated. Next gen Panamera will definitely be an improvement in all respects, but why wait unless you are confident that it will be out within a year.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

After driving a 2012 Panny 4S for the last four years, I just traded in on a new Panamera Turbo. I have had many little and one BIG issues with my P4S, the BIG being a total engine failure at 19,000 miles. I am hopeful of the future with my new PTT. I did drive the GTS and thought that for my purposes, the PTT held what I was looking for. I have a 997.1 TT to give me sports car handling with lots of power. I think the PTT was a great drive. I also live at 6500' so I don't think I ever saw all of the 400 horses in the P4S, but the turbo is a great altitude equalizer.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:14 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Adding to an old thread. I have a 2014 CTT and planning to add a used Panamera mainly for fun and excitement. I would keep both the vehicles. I have only driven P4S. Having experienced CTT, I know the power in PTT would be fabulous. And GTS would have excellent balance with great exhaust sound. Keeping price out of the equation for now. Would appreciate any feedback on which vehicle to get.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My Panamera is my daily driver in good and bad weather. I started off with a 2012 P4S which was a treat to drive and could handle the weather I face in the Rocky Mtn region. After a while(and a major engine failure) I had the opportunity to go with either a 2015 GTS or a 2014 PTT with 2100 miles. After a weekend with each car, I went with the PTT for the power, poise and the ability to totally rock and roll when the right buttons are engaged. I have a 997.1 PTT MT so I understand the turbo power comes at the expense of any drama at the tailpipe, but I am not about that at this stage in my life. It is such a first world problem. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: GTS v. Turbo