Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

GTS v. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

either way, keep us posted on your ultimate decision , maybe with a PM as well, so that I can contact you as I get closer in decision I am in exact same boat as you Good luck!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Luca42
Supercup,

Thanks for this. I agree with your analysis completely and I think it made me confront some hard facts. I lived in S. Cal for nine year (most recently in 2010) and if I still lived there, I think I'd select a Turbo as well. I'd certainly use it as a daily driver, which would entail about 80 miles RT each day (usually the PCH, Malibu Canyon, the 405 and the 101). My driving habits on this coast have changed what is required/wanted.

For starters, I now live only two miles from my office, which has meant more time on the bike and bus than in the car. Importantly, the roads here are just really not conducive to using a broad band of the power that either car possesses (I'm currently in an AMG FWIW). I mean this from the standpoint of road quality (i.e., surface) and capacity (i.e., lanes).

Given that, I guess the GTS seems more prudent. (Now if you want to talk me out of that choice, I'm listening!) I do think it would be amazing to drive a Turbo on the 101 north of SB or over the Grapevine.
I would definately go drive both and just see what feels best to you. Both are great options. If you don't have turbo power now you won't miss it. The GTS is fast and fun to drive. The Turbo may be a little less involved, but your right foot can clear that right up . No right anwer, just 2 great options to choose from.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be an easy choice. The gts has better value for the money, but I love my PTT and would take it anyday. For everyday use i prefer that you can make the car really soft and a sportscar with the push of a button. The gts is unnecessarilly noisy and loud for me to use all the time. If you dont have enough power, you can also powerkit it and youll have the fastest 4 door around, it also virtually removes turbo lag. Both are wonderful cars, but the pourpose you will use it for should tell you which car to buy. Usa just scored against canada in ice hockey 3-2, got to go
Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 AM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

I love my gts. It's plenty quiet if you don't drive in sport mode. Nice tones in sport and sport plus. I drive in sport mode 90% time. Love the response and handling. Would buy this car again over my 911 for practicality. Just as fun to drive.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luca42
Gents,

I've been watching the discussion on the board for a while, but it seems that guys curiously disappear once they get their new cars (which I take in a VERY favorable way!). I'm torn between ordering a Turbo or GTS to specification. The difference between the builds (with same equipment) is approximately $25-28K. I ask now so I do not experience any "buyer's remorse" once I pull the trigger.

I've test driven both, but not for any extended period (the Turbo for a longer period). Both cars are wonderful machines. The GTS sounds amazing, aggressive (although I wonder if that would wear on me over long periods); the Turbo's ability to forcefully push me back into my seat always impresses. I was intrigued by the GTS' shifting in Sport Plus mode and how it takes you up to the red line, but I don't know if I drive like that all the time. When it was not in Sport Plus mode, I could not distinguish the car from a well-appointed 4S. I favored the more aggressive base styling in the GTS, but the Turbo can be tweaked in the same fashion.

The questions are directed to the GTS owners:

Are you happy with your choice?
Given a chance to do it all again, would you still select the GTS?
What does your GTS lack that you wish it had?

For the Turbo owners:

Are you satisfied with your choice?
Do you think the price premium is justified?

Any advice is appreciated. If you need any information from me to advise, let me know. Thanks!
I drove the Panamera GTS just recently and I currently drive a Panamera Turbo Powerkit (Porsche), while waiting for my Turbo S to arrive.

The GTS is really fun to drive, the exhaust sound is divine and below 200 kph (125 mph), I'd say that the fun is similar to the Turbo but with a slightly more responsive handling and a better throttle response, especially with Sport Plus active. What I didn't like about the GTS was the lack of power over 200 kph. Actually slightly over 170 or 180 kph, you can actually feel the missing power.

If you have lots of twisty roads and if you usually don't drive over 100 mph, the GTS should be great fun for much less money. Otherwise, you'll be better off with the Turbo, same goes to red light races (there aren't many cars to be able to beat a Turbo or Turbo S).
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennteam
I drove the Panamera GTS just recently and I currently drive a Panamera Turbo Powerkit (Porsche), while waiting for my Turbo S to arrive.

The GTS is really fun to drive, the exhaust sound is divine and below 200 kph (125 mph), I'd say that the fun is similar to the Turbo but with a slightly more responsive handling and a better throttle response, especially with Sport Plus active. What I didn't like about the GTS was the lack of power over 200 kph. Actually slightly over 170 or 180 kph, you can actually feel the missing power.

If you have lots of twisty roads and if you usually don't drive over 100 mph, the GTS should be great fun for much less money. Otherwise, you'll be better off with the Turbo, same goes to red light races (there aren't many cars to be able to beat a Turbo or Turbo S).
Thanks for the additional feedback...for the reasons you mentioned, the new Panny GTS will indeed be my next car when my lease is up in 9 months. Such a sweet ride
Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennteam
Hi Christian! Nice to see you getting out and about.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM
doug928
Racer

I wish I could comment about the GTS but alas I am sill awaiting its arrival at the dealer. The ship has docked and it is just a waiting game right now. Once I get ino it I'll give some feedback. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Originally Posted by W8MM
Hi Christian! Nice to see you getting out and about.
Thanks, Mike. I try to help wherever I can.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The GTS always seems on the edge, The quick revs along with the exhaust note not being muffled by turbos, make the driving experience much more sporty in normal everyday driving. The turbo is more laid back until you open up the throttle plate and let the compressed air go to work. Then you suddenly feel like Hans Solo in the Millennium Falcon... The GTS makes you feel like you're on the grid at the starting line even at idle. It makes you want to give it the boot just so you can hear the exhaust.

Having driven these cars at great length on both the street and track, I am more of GTS person. The instant revs and torque are ALWAYS there and the exhaust note on the GTS is pure harmony. Perhaps the best sounding Porsche ever.

The good thing for you is that you will love either. I would really decide if you like the feel of a car that is more on the edge or something that goes from mild to wild just by pushing the accelerator.

The turbo maintenance will cost more and I am guessing that at 5 years down the road, the GTS will hold a slightly better resale percentage.

Both are incredible, it just comes down to what you want and will enjoy the most.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:17 AM
bebeqq1231
AutoX

Default GTS

GTS + 1 ... I love the GTS Interior
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2015, 10:49 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

This heavily modded 991 Turbo S owner just test drove every single level of Panamera -- and bought the GTS (a CPO 2013). The Panamera Turbo was just flat out boring. Quiet and isolated. A bit faster than the GTS but lacking all of its passion. The GTS is a the driver's car of the Panamera models. It has wonderful engine and exhaust noise and offers the most driver involvement and the best looks inside and outside.

I own a Renntech modded E63 S. It is much much faster than the Panamera Turbo. And about 60 percent of the price. And much much better engine and exhaust noise. To me, it is just a much more fun sedan than the Panamera Turbo or Turbo S.

Having just been though the Panamera shopping experience the GTS is the hottest car. It is tough to find and when you do, it usually sells in like a day or two. Turbos and Turbo S's sit unsold for long periods of time by comparison.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Preeble
Racer

I just test drove both cars. I would agree that in the common trim packages, the GTS is the fun one. However, few turbos are equipped with the sport package and in my opinion, this is a must have option in the turbo. I strongly suspect that few turbos are ever ordered with this pacakge unless it is a custom order.

Most of the new turbos that I have seen on dealers' lots have luxury options in them, so it is a very difficult comparison. However, the turbo motor just has endless pull to it whereas the GTS motor is certainly not as strong. For me, it is not strong enough and I know that I will always be kicking myself if I got the GTS, so I'm hunting for the turbo with the right options.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:50 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdg1871
This heavily modded 991 Turbo S owner just test drove every single level of Panamera -- and bought the GTS (a CPO 2013). The Panamera Turbo was just flat out boring. Quiet and isolated. A bit faster than the GTS but lacking all of its passion. The GTS is a the driver's car of the Panamera models. It has wonderful engine and exhaust noise and offers the most driver involvement and the best looks inside and outside. I own a Renntech modded E63 S. It is much much faster than the Panamera Turbo. And about 60 percent of the price. And much much better engine and exhaust noise. To me, it is just a much more fun sedan than the Panamera Turbo or Turbo S. Having just been though the Panamera shopping experience the GTS is the hottest car. It is tough to find and when you do, it usually sells in like a day or two. Turbos and Turbo S's sit unsold for long periods of time by comparison.
Congratulations! The PGTS is a very engaging sedan that is as close to a sports car as there is. Won't win stoplight races or come close to even a stock 991 TTS on the track, but somehow it works at many levels. Hardens up when needed in corners, yet in comfort mode tracks as surely as any car on the highway with serious confidence and comfort. Can't teleport like the 991 TTS, but its stance, presence and exhaust note are uncommon. The GTS interior is unique and striking.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

+1 for the GTS.
Love it.

Quick Reply: GTS v. Turbo