Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera Turbo vs Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 134 Posts

I am going through the same debate right now myself after my 2008 CTT was totalled by an idiot driver. The CTT was a phenominal car, from power and handling to comfort and visibility. Keep in mind my CTT had PDCC, which is a must-have for me on a Pano or CTT. I am looking for a 2010-2012 PTT or a 2011-2012 CTT.

I have an F150 King Ranch for towing, so that isn't a factor in my decision-making. The CTT was thirsty- 11 mpg around town driving it like it was meant to be driven. After years of working from home, it looks like I'll be making a commute again somtime soon. The PTT is the hands-down choice for comfort. While the CTT was a great handing SUV, it was only 80% of the sports car any of my last five 911s were. The Pano with PDCC is more like 90%. The downside to the Pano is no doggy-hauling and getting my 1 year old daughter into her car seat is going to be more of a challenge.

I am in a snowy area, and frequently drive over seriously snowy passes, but we have a Toyota Rav4 that is incredible on the snow. My CTT was much better and tremendously predictable in the snow, but the dozen or so times over the pass probably don't justify the MPG of the CTT.

I look forward to other comments about the choice between the two phenominal cars.

Lots to think about!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I just went through this myself and went for the Panny. I use a Thule box on the roof on the rare times I need a lot of extra room. I commute between OC and Scottsdale = 5 hours on I10 in a straight line and the Panny is a great road car.

PDK was the real deciding factor for me. After owning a first generation CTT I was sold on PDK after the first drive.

Both are excellent vehicles and you can make a case for either.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:28 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jafetica888
Got both a Cayenne and Panamera and 100% prefer the Panamera, phenomenal car. It replaced a 911S Cab and other than the convertible I don miss it.
Having said this, I do my towing with the Cayenne....

Why don't you get the Cayenne for your wife for New Years and the Panamera for you?
+1, ..big time.

We have a CTT and a P4S. Very different animals.
I had multiple 911 non stop as daily for 30 years, and I consider the Panamera as the best car we ever had. For me, the Panamera do "replace" the 911, while the CTT is a must have, for towing, for utility, etc.. The Panamera is our "grand tourer", but the CTT is the perfect utility car. (Had 5 Range Rover in the past, including 3 of the very first models, so, I'm more than SUV convinced.)
And for track/fun, for the price, NOTHING beats a Boxster. For fun and best lap on track with a car, the engine MUST BE at the right place, i.e.: in the center.
The only (very rare guys/girls, i.e.: I'm thinking about Sabine Schmitz) that know how to be fast with a 911, are the ones that know the EXACT braking point of every curves they take and this, within less than a yard of accuracy. If you have to release the full pressure of your brake before triggering a turn, then your lap is just no good.
Many people think they can be fast with a 911, ..but, this is only true on "on ramp" cases. Only very-very few knows on track/fun runs. Even after 30 years, I never came to this point.
With a Boxster, this is VERY different. Much more simple to drive fast/at the limit. If this is not convincing you, why do you think that finally Porsche just decided to put the 911 engine again in the center (after the GT1) for the 2017 911 RSR ?

Beside towing our (heavy) boat, the CTT is towing the Boxster to track, and frankly, I just do not feel it, ..it is so light for a CTT.
My point : if I would have to get rid of one, loving the Panamera so much, it is still the one that would go, as ..no CTT would be for too much a REAL big miss.

My 2 cents : Cancel any order for any 911, get a used Boxster S. Think CTT and PTT, and get a cheap Boxster S for the fun. (Fyi, the best of all is the latest Boxster Spyder.)

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-10-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

"Why don't you get the Cayenne for your wife for New Years and the Panamera for you?"

I've tried. She doesn't want an SUV. She's had two A4s and likes Porsches so I thought I'd be able to get her into a Q7 or Cayenne. She really liked a black Cayenne GTS our local dealer had but when it came down to whose car it would be--that was the problem. She's sticking with her AWD GS350.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:39 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It is a very interesting thinking path !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-10-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:01 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised there is still even a question of this given the new generation of Panamera. We were lent a 2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid recently. The positives are that it is extremely well put together and handles surprisingly well. But that's it really - the engine was sub-par (although this is a slight on the previous generation of hybrid and not relevant to the Turbo) and the styling internally and externally feels dated. The Cayenne that we will no doubt see towards the end of this year is likely to be a completely different story, so why spend a lot of money now on a model that is already ending its production run (residuals etc).

Get the Panamera, get air suspension so you can raise clearance at low speeds (better than nothing) and if you need to, get a set of winter tyres/wheels.

It's a good problem to have!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Got both a Cayenne and Panamera and 100% prefer the Panamera, phenomenal car. It replaced a 911S Cab and other than the convertible I don miss it.
Having said this, I do my towing with the Cayenne....

Why don't you get the Cayenne for your wife for New Years and the Panamera for you?
Ok, pulled the trigger two days ago on a well-optioned 2012 Cayenne Turbo. Black w cognac leather interior. It looks like a leather bomb went off inside. 65k miles, Florida car until 2017--couldn't find a hint of rust on the underside. It already has a few nicks & scratches here & there that I was planning to install.

Drop the suspension down, the handling is amazing for a vehicle this size. Seriously approaching 9/10ths of my non-EDC M3. My wife may actually like driving this SUV--so there may be a PTT in our future. My eight year-old daughter said "daddy, you can never get rid of this car" but I suspect she'd say that about any vehicle with leather wrapped video monitors and a Bose headset.

I'm not loving the aftermarket grill, but it seems to be just an add-on over the factory grill--hopefully I can remove without having to take off the bumper cover. The panel below the bumper seems to be either stainless or silver-painted plastic. Looks kinda wrong, may Plasti-Dip flat black. Are there chin or lip spoilers available for this vehicle?
Attached Images     
Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks MEAN! Congrats
Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Jafetica888
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Ok, pulled the trigger two days ago on a well-optioned 2012 Cayenne Turbo. Black w cognac leather interior. It looks like a leather bomb went off inside. 65k miles, Florida car until 2017--couldn't find a hint of rust on the underside. It already has a few nicks & scratches here & there that I was planning to install. Drop the suspension down, the handling is amazing for a vehicle this size. Seriously approaching 9/10ths of my non-EDC M3. My wife may actually like driving this SUV--so there may be a PTT in our future. My eight year-old daughter said "daddy, you can never get rid of this car" but I suspect she'd say that about any vehicle with leather wrapped video monitors and a Bose headset. I'm not loving the aftermarket grill, but it seems to be just an add-on over the factory grill--hopefully I can remove without having to take off the bumper cover. The panel below the bumper seems to be either stainless or silver-painted plastic. Looks kinda wrong, may Plasti-Dip flat black. Are there chin or lip spoilers available for this vehicle?
Gorgeous car, grill looks terrible...
Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Gorgeous car, grill looks terrible...
Agreed!!! How do I fix?

Been scouring the web trying to find instructions on how to remove the grill. No brand name on it. It appears to be just inserted between bumper cover and factory grill, at least in the center.

I can't even find any instructions on how to remove the bumper cover. Is it something so obvious that no one has bothered to make a video for? Or is it something that Porsche owners hire out to the dealers? The Corvette & M3 forums have instructions on everything down to which end of the screwdriver to hold.

While I'm here, if I do need the grill inserts to the outboard air intakes, is there a kit that gives the appearance of the 2014+ intakes? Is there a chin spoiler available to hide the silver belly pan? Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo vs Cayenne Turbo