Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

don't buy/ lease a Panamera until you read this!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

My A7 has the blind spot assist and I agree it is a great feature. Drove a 2011 P4 at my dealer as a loaner when my C4S was in for service and enjoyed it. Seating and confort inside was great and didn't have any issues with the PCM or settings. But then I do read my manuals front to back usually and so am quite familiar with Porsche's PCMs and settings. My only complaint on the car was it does seem heavy in that you can't deny its size from a physical standpoint (its wide and low!) and so I worried about my wife bumping into things cause she seems to have a perception problem when driving (she ran her Audi into the garage door-side when I was away last year trying to get her A4 parked - said it was too narrow? HUH??)

Also it IS expensive once properly outfitted..I mean in terms of cost comparision to my A7 Premium Plus; the same Panamera was almost $20-25k more and I got almost everything that the Panamera 4 had in my A7...which although possessing less hp than the Panamera 4 seems at least as agile and quick! So while I like the Panamera I'd only get one for the wife if she wanted it and as a Panamera v6. She doesn't need the S or turbo or 4S...wasted $$..IMHO and proven thru 5 previous cars she's had. However it would be the best of both worlds I must say since she always tosses me the keys when we go somewhere and makes me drive..so that in itself can/could justify an Panamera S..maybe! LOL

However back to the OP's original post..I think that you really expected a Mercedes/Lexus than a Porsche. If you only had a Boxster before (not sure if I read your original post correctly) than the Panamera may be a different experience for you as it doesn't try to be a Mercedes or Lexus in those terms you mention. Its a sports car with 4 wheels that also is a great GT..something you can cruise from lets say Munich to Paris and back very fast and in a sporty fashion. I think that if you really want all those creature comforts and ease of use then the Mercedes/Lexus's and latest technological stuff then even the A7/A8 or their S versions or an AMG are more what you seek/desire IMHO. GL with your car though!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

The only Porsche I will buy is a 911 derivative and only as a second Porsche as I will not sell my 993. If I want a truck/SUV I'll stick with Land Rover. If I want a sport sedan, BMW or Mercedes.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 AM
toejam357
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@mdrobc1213:

thanks for chiming in. perhaps you're right about the MB expectation, its my practical side...

1. i agree about the car's heavy feeling, but i dont have a problem with blind spots, the Boxster's is worst.
2. i totally agree that the Pan is characteristically like a Boxster; rides like a go-kart and goes like a rocket.
3. my peevs with the Pan is not that the lux features aren't there, but that they don't work well. next time you get in a Pan, use the trunk release and tell that's right?...set the 12 preset radio stations and then try changing the channel from memory #6 to #7 while driving....etc.
4. you're right, i did expect the lux portion of the car to be similar to my Benz. its not my fault though, all the marketing materials point your expectations that way. the color schemes, yachting trim, power seats, etc. if they only offered the same colors and interiors as a 911 i would have gotten the message better.
5. the 987/997 sport seats are actually more comfortable because the cushioning is more plush. go figure!
6. ultimately, like everyone here, i do enjoy my Panamera overall. i just wanted pre-buyers to know about these little known, little talked about issues.

btw, the A7 and S8 are my favorite Audis.

cheers.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 AM
toejam357
Track Day

@franklin229: LIKE
Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

i have had my 4s for almost 2 yrs now and some of what op says is true but i just got over those things (except for the excess oil burning which is ridiculous). fact that it drives well, is unique, makes me feel good when in it, and has luxury interior of a bentley for 1/2$ makes it worthwhile. i would buy one again over new m5, amg, etc
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 AM
hmeman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for some good deals - 10% off MSRP for the wife's ride yesterday! (think? I did OK?)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 AM
PV=nRT
Rennlist Member

I've had the 2012 pan s hybrid for a month and a half. I find it to be a great car- but I took the time to read the manuals to understand the PCM operation, etc. before I took delivery.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hmeman
Time for some good deals - 10% off MSRP for the wife's ride yesterday! (think? I did OK?)
That does sound good! Which model? What was MSRP?

to OP: I think your 'warnings' on page 1 were more like ... well, I don't want to use the "B" word, but more like missed expectations than real problems with the car. Hopefully you've gotten beyond them and are enjoying the car.

I've had my car for all of 10 days now. So far, I like it. I could complain about some things, but it's my fourth Porsche and I think I knew what I was getting myself in to. It was between this, the 750i and E63. I wanted the comfort of the BMW but the performance of the E63 (but with more character). The Pano is less luxurious than the Bimmer and in "S" form, less powerful than the AMG, but it was the only car of the three that I actually enjoyed driving - the one that put a smile on my face. It was also the more expensive of the three, and that was the toughest pill to swallow. But I've compromised on price in the past, buying Japanese instead of German, and always regretted it.

As for changing presets, I use the whatchamacallit next to the tach - scroll it to the radio display, press the button and then select my presets. I don't care to use the touch screen while driving.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 AM
PNTS
AutoX

I just cant get my exterior mirror lowered in reverse gear. Was told it is a standard on Panamera and I also have the comfort memory package. Under light/visibility, Resers Opt, I checked the box for lowering mirror but there is no further option. Any comments? Apologise if this is not the folder to post this. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

When you are in reverse, select the passenger side mirror and move the mirror down (or wherever you want it) with the electronic controls on the driver's door. The car should remember that position as the position to put it in when you go into reverse. Maybe this will fix it for you? Good luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 AM
PNTS
AutoX

Originally Posted by MJBird993
When you are in reverse, select the passenger side mirror and move the mirror down (or wherever you want it) with the electronic controls on the driver's door. The car should remember that position as the position to put it in when you go into reverse. Maybe this will fix it for you? Good luck!
It works. Many thanks. It does return to normal setting after it is in P. Still trying to figure out under what condition it will move back up (e.g. gear D or P, must select passenger side mirror, etc). Can I also confirm that the front power windows do not lower fully.. sorry to be such a nag...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by PNTS
It works. Many thanks. It does return to normal setting after it is in P. Still trying to figure out under what condition it will move back up (e.g. gear D or P, must select passenger side mirror, etc).
I believe you have to get to 9 MPH (13 KPH?) before it will return to position.
Can I also confirm that the front power windows do not lower fully.. sorry to be such a nag...
How much of the glass is sticking up? I'd suggest that if they both are doing the same thing, then that's probably normal. If one was higher than the other, then there might be a problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM
PNTS
AutoX

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I believe you have to get to 9 MPH (13 KPH?) before it will return to position.

How much of the glass is sticking up? I'd suggest that if they both are doing the same thing, then that's probably normal. If one was higher than the other, then there might be a problem.
Spoke to Porsche. They told me that mine is normal. Thanks.

They also provided the steps to program the exterior mirror during parking (with driver memory option):
1. Set the mirror adjustment to passenger side and lower the exterior mirror to the lowest possible.
2. Then press 1 on the memory.
3. Set the passenger side exterior to the level you prefer during normal driving.
4. Then press Set and 1 on the memory.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM
jpuzas
Advanced

Originally Posted by TGED
I wonder if the blind spot assist can be retro fitted on my 2011 P4.
I maintain every car has blind spot assist - it is a matter of adjusting your side mirrors relative to your rear view in the right way. Try this sometime: lean your head to the left till it just touches the driver's side window and adjust your driver's side mirror; then lean your head as far to the right as you can and adjust your passenger side mirror; then sit straight in the seat and adjust the rear view. Result: a car is coming up on your left, watch it in your rear view till you can just see the backend then look in your driver's side mirror and there it is then keep watching till you can no longer see it in your side mirror and viola there it is in your peripheral vision - complete 180 degree vision with mirrors only. Try it it really works!

Jeff.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM
BCO
2nd Gear

Default Panamera GTS

I took possession of my 2013 Panamera GTS recently. It's my 5th Porsche and by far the best. Everything from the exhaust sound to the handling is awesome. Folks who have issues with PCM and lock programing need to read the manual.With that said, the radio for certain stations shows the wrong station ID. For example, station 102.5 WDVE in pittsburgh shows up as KDAL??? Not sure if this is a RBDS issue or what. anyone have this issue?

Quick Reply: don't buy/ lease a Panamera until you read this!!