Notices

don't buy/ lease a Panamera until you read this!!

 
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
  #16  
kip1
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pmichaelis View Post
To answer your question with a question, where would a fifth seat go? The tunnel between the seats houses the drive shaft, to eliminate the tunnel would require raising the entire car's profile upsetting the handling, etc. A good reason for Porsche's SUV.
Thanks for the comment. I know this, but actually as I look at whats back there, they could have made it just flat as an option, dropping the plugs and *****. I have actually only ever sat in the drivers seat so far, so cant be 100% sure. Center seats are never "good" seats, and I think that would have done it. Not sure off course as cant take them apart
kip1 is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
  #17  
BuddyP
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My complaint

Originally Posted by dochusar View Post
I concur 100% with Rennteam.

The only major complaint about the Panamera is the cost!!
My only complaint is my wife complaining about the cost! I have suffered greatly since placing the order but this is one case where the pain is worth the gain.

I've got 2800 miles on my S and have not used any oil so far. I keep a close eye on it based on the complaints here, but it has not been an issue for me. I followed the break in recommendations carefully, as difficult as that was.
BuddyP is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM
  #18  
Rennteam
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 90
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
My only complaint is my wife complaining about the cost! I have suffered greatly since placing the order but this is one case where the pain is worth the gain.

I've got 2800 miles on my S and have not used any oil so far. I keep a close eye on it based on the complaints here, but it has not been an issue for me. I followed the break in recommendations carefully, as difficult as that was.
My wife actually wanted me to get the Panamera Turbo S because apparently she wanted something "better" than one of her friends, she drives a Panamera 4S. Of course this wasn't the only reason (I think ) but a year ago, she actually told me not to get the Panamera because it has four seats only.

Wives...
Rennteam is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
  #19  
BuddyP
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Practical family car

Originally Posted by Rennteam View Post
My wife actually wanted me to get the Panamera Turbo S because apparently she wanted something "better" than one of her friends, she drives a Panamera 4S. Of course this wasn't the only reason (I think ) but a year ago, she actually told me not to get the Panamera because it has four seats only.

Wives...
I tried the "it's a hatchback so it's a practical family car" line but she was not convinced. To my surprise after giving me so much grief about ordering the car she does enjoy driving it in comfort mode. That is not my preferred mode, so I enjoy it most when she is not with me, but that goes without saying.

I would have prefered the turbo, but when playing poker one needs to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. There is no such thing as too much horsepower, but 400 HP is a reasonable compromise when the alternative is divorce.
BuddyP is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 AM
  #20  
toejam357
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

kip1: i agree with you all the way, especially realizing that the Pan is "just" a sports car with 4 doors even though its priced square in the S-class price bracket.

regarding 2B, what i mean specifically is 1) from a stand still, there is a 1/2 second delay before the car moves; press-wait-then motion. 2) the transition off of HOLD mode begins with a jerk rather than smooth like on the S-class and the Bimmer. HOwever, during driving itself (while the car was in motion) the PDK is fine. NOTE: on my Pan, if im on a slight incline, HOLD mode engages on its own. the car doesnt wait for me to step on the brake! does this happen on yours?

Also, i know what you mean about the recycled parts with your Audi. i had an '07 BMW X3 and its entire trunk assembly was reused in the Audi Q5.

as nice a car as the Panamera is, the lesson for me after all these cars is = if wasn't built in Stuttgart, i won't buy it.
toejam357 is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM
  #21  
Rennteam
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 90
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by toejam357 View Post
1) from a stand still, there is a 1/2 second delay before the car moves; press-wait-then motion.
as nice a car as the Panamera is, the lesson for me after all these cars is = if wasn't built in Stuttgart, i won't buy it.
There is no delay with the Sport Chrono Plus package (I assume you don't have it?). If you have a delay and you have the Sport Chrono Plus package, talk to the dealer and maybe there is an ECU update available which could improve the problem.

Regarding the "if it wasn't built in Stuttgart" comment: I don't really understand it. The engine is built in Zuffenhausen(Stuttgart) but the car is assembled in Leipzig, which is true. However, the Leipzig factory is the most modern factory Porsche actually has, so there are no quality issues here, on the contrary. Also the Panamera has been a 100% Weissach development, no partnership whatsoever with VW or any other company, so this is a very good product, one with over a billion EUR development cost in it.
Rennteam is offline  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM
  #22  
TT Surgeon
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TT Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: KC ex pat marooned in NY
Posts: 13,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a pan 4, I've put 3k miles on it so far.
Mine burns zero oil, at the same time my cayenne s will go thru a qt every 1800 miles, perhaps a quirk of the 400hp v8.
The radio thing is extremely annoying, never saves any of my presets more than a day or two.
The door locks drive me crazy, there should be a lock/unlock button on the door like 99% of other cars.
it's a great commuter and my wife and kids love it, ESP the roomy backseats.
My tires also make a awful humming sound. Dealer says it's normal, I doubt that.
TT Surgeon is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM
  #23  
Dan993
User
 
Dan993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon View Post
The radio thing is extremely annoying, never saves any of my presets more than a day or two.
This may help you understand the relationship between the seat memory, radio, display, AC and key fob.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Dan993 is offline  
Old 01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
  #24  
awryexperiment
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
so I enjoy it most when she is not with me, but that goes without saying.
Was that just awkwardly written or should we read between the lines......
awryexperiment is offline  
Old 01-23-2012, 02:48 PM
  #25  
Randy V
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Randy V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Insane Diego, California
Posts: 40,147
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Looks like some of you guys need a lifetime subscription:

Attached Images  
Randy V is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 PM
  #26  
toejam357
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rennteam View Post
There is no delay with the Sport Chrono Plus package (I assume you don't have it?). If you have a delay and you have the Sport Chrono Plus package, talk to the dealer and maybe there is an ECU update available which could improve the problem.

Regarding the "if it wasn't built in Stuttgart" comment: I don't really understand it. The engine is built in Zuffenhausen(Stuttgart) but the car is assembled in Leipzig, which is true. However, the Leipzig factory is the most modern factory Porsche actually has, so there are no quality issues here, on the contrary. Also the Panamera has been a 100% Weissach development, no partnership whatsoever with VW or any other company, so this is a very good product, one with over a billion EUR development cost in it.
thank you for your comment: my comment about Stuttgart was just a generalization, but i do believe the Pan did not receive the same design thoughtfulness that my 987 boxster S received.

i do have sport chrono, the delay occurs only in Comfort mode. i did a test drive with the service tech at Rector and he said that its normal and there were no updates addressing any of my issues.

i realize now that many people dont have sport chrono or the Entry Drive feature which could be the source of my issues. also, i am used to Mercedes S-class refinement so outside of the performance aspect (most Porsche-philes POV is as if they track their Panameras more than street use), the Panamera is woefully under refined for the price.
toejam357 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 PM
  #27  
toejam357
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

hey, thanks for this. it really helps to have some reference, beyond the user manual. Based on your PDF, what is happening with me is the current settings i make are not saved to the key when i leave the car. when i return, all the setting have changed and i need to press the memory button, which gives me the saved settings but not the settings just before i left the car. sounds minor, but its all very annoying and Panamera is the only car that does this, IME.
toejam357 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 PM
  #28  
BuddyP
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by awryexperiment View Post
Was that just awkwardly written or should we read between the lines......
I was only referring to speed.

Regarding being whipped, we reach our 35th anniversary this May. Anyone who could put up with me that long deserves sainthood. She understands that the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys, but occasional compromise is a small price to pay for a lifetime of happiness.
BuddyP is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
  #29  
awryexperiment
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
Regarding being whipped, we reach our 35th anniversary this May. Anyone who could put up with me that long deserves sainthood. She understands that the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys, but occasional compromise is a small price to pay for a lifetime of happiness.
Smooth answer! ....written like a 35-yr veteren.
awryexperiment is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  #30  
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
abiazis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berkeley Lake, Georgia
Posts: 2,084
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Buy a M5
abiazis is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: don't buy/ lease a Panamera until you read this!!


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: