Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Need some advise on Panamera V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Gaucho
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need some advise on Panamera V6

Having tested E550, BMW 550i and 535i, Jag XF, and Infinity 57i previously I decided to give the Panamera a try now that the V6 makes affordable option. Wow! It would be hard to go to anything else after this car. Yes, it is definitely more expensive but there is so much more value, quality and fun factor that it is all worth it.

Need some advise on configuration for a V6. Want to be reasonable with extras as they can certainly add up quickly. Live in Southern Cal, drive mostly city and freeways, with long weekend trips. Drive a lot each year - about 20K miles. Usually keep my cars at least 7-8 years.

This is what I am thinking:
*C. White with black or beige,
*Basalt with beige (great contrast that makes this car elegant)
*Carbon grey with beige -- (great contrast, in certain light it grey or black)

How hard is it to keep the beige interior clean? I am not compulsive, but do want to keep the car a long time and in good shape.

Options:
*park assist (front/rear) with camera
*sports chrono plus (seems like a fun option that would make it "more" Porsche)
*Servotronic
*18" Panamera S wheels with red wheel crest
*heated front seats
*burl wood package

? ventilated front seats
? burl wood steering wheel

The last two I am not so sure how much they would add. Not a huge audiophile so the extra $1500 for Bose is not worth it to me.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Options are very personal. Your short list looks good.

I got sides and rear sunscreen and the rear passengers like it. I got the ski pass through so that I can carry long items while retaining both rear passenger seats useful.

Grey interior looks good with white.

Good luck with your order.
Attached Images    
Old 11-29-2010, 06:06 AM
743CO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations and My Opinion

Well here goes, you know what they say about opinions!!

1. Light colored interiors have a great deal of reflection off the windshield. Ensure you can live with this problem area. Carrera White with Black interior is my recommendation. Beige is a 'pain in the a--' to keep clean.

2. Sport Chrono not needed in the V6.

3. Servotronic not needed.

4. Wood stuff adds costs and does not improve performance.

5. Ventilated seats only needed in hotter climates.

6. Bose upgrade may be useful over the life of the car!!

7. I would add air suspension, best option for the money spent!!

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Atomicman
Intermediate

I went with mahogany metallic exterior/tabacco interior. Ditch the sport chrono and vented seats; upgrade the stereo and the air bag suspension (great fun) IMHO.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the basis stereo, make sure you listen to it first. My dealer said almost all the Porsches they sell have upgraded stereo.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Hagel
AutoX

I went with the White / Black, Sport Chrono, Bose, Heat / Vent seats, Servotronic, Burl wood, heated leather wheel, Park Assist w/ camera, upgraded seats, etc... Only thing I wish I had was rear sunscreens for the kids.

I was actually looking at the similar cars (535/550, e550, a6) when deciding to go with the Panamera. I came out of a 2005 cayenne turbo, and while at times would like a little more bark, overall very happy with the 6. I drove all three, and while the turbo is a beast it wasn't what I needed in my family car. The difference in the 6 and 8 was so minor I couldn't justify the 15k difference. Instead I'm spending that on new wheels, an exhaust, and the rest on a new track toy.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my two cents:

park assist, code 636
rearview camera, 638
air suspension, 351
19" wheels, 416
homelink, 117
heated wheel, 345
rear interior lighting, 630
14 way power seats, P80
power sunscreens, 861/862
walnut interior, 821
walnut wheel, 842
bluetooth, 619
universal audio, 870
Bose, 680

I have a light colored interior because I dislike burning my buns as I did in my 993, the dash reflection doesn't bother me.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Gaucho
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you all for the input. Good thoughts and opinions. Targa Tim - great looking car! Hagel - almost the same config I was considering.

I am going to spend some time at local dealerships looking at different color combos. We are lucky in Southern Cal since there are at least 8-10 dealerships within an hour drive. Most have lots of Panameras in the various color combos.

Have not seen a single one yet without a stereo upgrade yet! Most around here (at least the V6's) have few options (stereo, servo, wheels, camera, wood). Only the S and turbos are more fully loaded.

These are really great cars.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaucho
Thank you all for the input. Good thoughts and opinions. Targa Tim - great looking car! Hagel - almost the same config I was considering.

I am going to spend some time at local dealerships looking at different color combos. We are lucky in Southern Cal since there are at least 8-10 dealerships within an hour drive. Most have lots of Panameras in the various color combos.

Have not seen a single one yet without a stereo upgrade yet! Most around here (at least the V6's) have few options (stereo, servo, wheels, camera, wood). Only the S and turbos are more fully loaded.

These are really great cars.
Yup, seems like they tend to keep the six cylinders optioned less for a smaller price point.

Is the difference between the six and eight really that minor?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:21 PM
SportsCommuter
Track Day

After driving a P4S w/sports chrono for over 6 months, I had the opportunity to drive a bare bones P4 loaner for 2 days and enjoyed the comparison. I popped the V6 into sport mode and put it through its paces with no mercy & it was smooth, but lacked any punch whatsoever even at high RPMs. The extra horsepower makes a huge difference & has left me pondering the turbo with 100 more - I don't want to know! In any event, the V6 was an adequate commuter with no other shortcomings. I've owned two 6-series BMWs, one with their 360HP 4.8L V8, but not the newer 400HP twin turbo, and the power was noticeably more than the P4 even without AWD. I'm not a big fan of the 5-series looks and everybody on earth has one, but its a great value. As for options, go with 20” wheels & skip the park assist nonsense. Good luck picking a ride.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 PM
rmapson
Advanced

I've had 2 cars with beige interior and have had no problems keeping it clean since I did the following:
Had the interior treated with Simoniz and I get a detail every 3 months.

I have Sport Chrono but I never used it and apparently you can use launch control without have the Sport Chrono option
Old 12-13-2010, 11:50 PM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 37 Posts

The Carbon Gray/Luxor is a great combo and the beige is not hard to keep clean. I like your options with the following suggestions: no sports chrono with the V6, definitely add the ventilated seats, and the park assist w/back-up camera as the rear visibility is limited. The V6 being lighter is a nice package. I do like the wood packages, even on the steering wheel. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Can you not get a black dash, beige leather interior option ? I have driven a black (exterior) one in germany with that and actually liked it. Also, reflection in the windscreen of the lighter dashes is a huge phenomenum, strongly recommend that you go with a black dash....

If you can stretch, the V8s are great, maybe drive one back to back with the V6?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

sports chrono is a must on any PDK equiped Porsche regardless of the model

it is on the manuals that it is more a personal opinion.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Options are very personal. Here is my $.02:

1. The park assist/back-up camera is a must. It is hard to see out of the back of this car.
2. 19" wheels look much better than 18." I have both, using the 18s for winter.
3. Sport Chrono is cool, but to be honest it rarely gets used. When I head for the hills, I take something sportier.
4. The ventilated seats are awesome. My wife hates to be cold, and I hate to be hot. The ventilated seats allow me to be comfortable while I defer to her climate control wishes.
5. I got the Anthracite Birch wood trim with matching wheel. It looks good, and the wheel can be heated. This is important where we live, not so much where you are.
6. If I lived where you did and wanted the Sport Chrono, I'd skip the heated wheel and get the shift paddles on the sport wheel. This is the one thing I wish I had (well maybe the air suspension too) and it would probably prompt me to use the Sport Chrono mode more.

Quick Reply: Need some advise on Panamera V6