Mirror does not return to original position after reversing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 PM
achen
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror does not return to original position after reversing

Hi all,

Just picked up our Panamera during the weekend, ran into the first problem / question on day 2:

When I put the car into reverse (R), the left mirror switched angle downward, when we changed gear to D and start driving, it never comes back to normal position. It does not move at all even when I try using the mirror control pad (it works on the right mirror).

It is extremely dangerous driving a car with the mirror aiming the wrong angle, I am wondering if other Panamera owners experienced similar problem, and is there a solution other than bringing it back to the dealer (need to wait until Saturday or take half day off from work!)
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Default Right Mirror

Your right outside mirror has the option of angling down upon engaging reverse. This is selectable in the menu options.

The Panamera appears to be nearly completely controlled by many computers. The Bill Gates solution of shutting down and restarting has fixed several of my bugs.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
kcturbo
Advanced

My mirrors quit working (unable to adjust position) and I had to have the mirror switch assembly replaced, but I did not have your exact issue. You might try going into the car settings and turn off the mirror reverse position function and see what happens. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
achen
6th Gear

I played with it last night, I found out this mirror is not responding to the switch, regardless what was set for "mirror reverse position" in vehicle setting.

It's totaly dead and I need to manually push it to the right position so I can drive. Calling dealership today.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kcturbo
My mirrors quit working (unable to adjust position) and I had to have the mirror switch assembly replaced, but I did not have your exact issue. You might try going into the car settings and turn off the mirror reverse position function and see what happens. Good luck.
+ 1 ^ for mine as well
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
achen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kcturbo
Well, my issue isn't really any different than yours, it's the mirror stops responding to switch controller.
It was just my problem happened after it goes into the reverse position, and before it had chance to go back original position, that made me thought in the beginning that it was related to the reverse option.

Later on after a couple tests, I concluded it was just as simple as the mirror doesn't respond to signal from the switch controller at all.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM
superdynamite
1st Gear

Default Mirror tilt reverse problem

I just bought a Cayenne and I am having the same problem described above; my mirror tilts when I reverse but when I put the car in drive it does not return to its original position. If I put the car in reverse a second time, the mirror tilts further, and so on, and so on until it's completely down.

Did anyone find a fix for this?
Old 02-14-2023, 10:16 AM
P9582
1st Gear

Default Patients is a virtue!

After the car mirror lowers in reverse and you put it in Park or Drive, say Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Hiney Ho, wait 20 seconds and I promise it will magically return to its upright position. Porsche may make fast cars however, their mirror return to position speeds may vary! Had to cut Meka part and complete return on video due to tiny upload size 🤨
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (19.00 MB, 32 views)
Old 02-14-2023, 10:37 AM
tolkino
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed the same behavior in my car and thought it is quite weird. When I put it in reverse its usually when I'm parking my car so I did not mind it that much but I will check if it still remains (or for how long) downwards when I put it in Drive again.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:06 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Is it possible that the mirror uses the same logic as the back-up camera to return to "normal"? That is, the backup camera stays on when switching from R to D, until you hit 11mph.

Maybe play around with it in a safe place and see if you have to hit some "forward speed" threshold for the mirror to return?

I have the "mirror dip on reverse" enabled on my car but have not noticed exactly when the mirror comes back to normal (it's always work fine and been a non-issue for me). I'm going to try and remember to check it out after work this afternoon.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:41 PM
F1FANATC
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it stay in a reverse position so one can see curbs if needed when moving forward?

Last edited by F1FANATC; 02-15-2023 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Mirror does not return to original position after reversing