Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Can any PDK be operated in launch mode?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can any PDK be operated in launch mode?

If I don't have the Sport Chrono in my Panamera can I still operate the PDK in launch control mode by standing on the brake and gas and letting go of the brake?

or put another way, does the clutch engage when the brake is depressed?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

You need the sport chrono option for launch control.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:40 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Default Can any PDK be operated in launch mode?

The question still stands, even without the Sport Chrono, can the launch control function be simulated just using the brakes and accelerator.

Basic to the question: How does the PDK function at standstill when the brake is applied and the gas pedal depressed? Does it stay un-engaged or does it try to engage when the gas is applied?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Default Answer to my PDK question

I just received a copy of the Porsche Technical Introduction Manual for the 2010 Panamera and the answer to my question was right there on page 3.12.

Under "Stationary Decoupling" was the statement:

" When the vehicle comes to a stop, the clutch is generally decoupled as long as the brakes are applied. However, the clutch remains slightly engaged in order to take full advantage of crawling."

I take all this to mean that while there is minimal energy transfer into the clutches during a stop, power is not being transfered and a simulated launch is a possiblity.

ps: disclaimer, any users of this information do so at their own risk.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
rmapson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmichaelis
I just received a copy of the Porsche Technical Introduction Manual for the 2010 Panamera and the answer to my question was right there on page 3.12.

Under "Stationary Decoupling" was the statement:

" When the vehicle comes to a stop, the clutch is generally decoupled as long as the brakes are applied. However, the clutch remains slightly engaged in order to take full advantage of crawling."

I take all this to mean that while there is minimal energy transfer into the clutches during a stop, power is not being transfered and a simulated launch is a possiblity.

ps: disclaimer, any users of this information do so at their own risk.
I'm not understanding your question I guess...To engage "Launch Control" you need the Sport Chrono option...The answer to your question seems to be "yes, if you press the gas really, really hard you can simulate "launch control" with your foot"...answer provided by owners manual basically say's the same thing...again...if you didn't pay for Sport Chrono then you don't have it.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 AM
743CO
Intermediate

Default Remember...

Remember that Launch Control only saves 0.2 seconds to 60mph.

Not worth the risk to your drivetrain to damage a very expensive and sophisticated transmission.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
+1,000,000

Lets us know how it works when you try it without sport chrono installed. Trying to push the throttle to the floor without the special function that recognizes you have your foot on the brake (and keeps the clutch from engaging) should very convincing.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

It works; tried it out by holding the brake and giving it about 4200 rpm, there was no sensation of clutch slippage ( didn't have to press the brake harder), when the brake was released the acceleration was awesome. The function that recognizes a depressed brake is there without the Sport Chrono, the only thing seems to be missing is a dash warning that it's ready to launch.

ps: I don't know that I will use this capability often, but it's nice to know it's available.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:38 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
It works; tried it out by holding the brake and giving it about 4200 rpm, there was no sensation of clutch slippage ( didn't have to press the brake harder), when the brake was released the acceleration was awesome. The function that recognizes a depressed brake is there without the Sport Chrono, the only thing seems to be missing is a dash warning that it's ready to launch.

ps: I don't know that I will use this capability often, but it's nice to know it's available.
How interesting!

Thanks for doing the experiment
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
rmapson
Advanced

WoW...I wonder can I get a refund!!!

Quick Reply: Can any PDK be operated in launch mode?