Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

PDK in the Panamera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PDK in the Panamera 4S

So has anyone had a problem with the transmission in this car? Like if you drive it hard or anything like that? Because one time I was coming home from my summer job, and I was driving it hard in sport plus mode(seeing what it could do no one was on the roads so don't worry), and all of a sudden I take a turn hard and the transmission gets stuck in 3rd gear 10 mins away from home and nowhere to stop. I get home, turn it off, turn it back on, take it back out and it is fine again, but has anyone had this problem? Should the PDK system be this fragile? Is it not suspoce to be driven like a sports car? Or was it just a faulty transmission maybe? One more question, would it be less durable since the Panamera is heavier then a 911, never test drove the old CTT with PDK, but all I know is the new 8-speed transmission is great.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Default JAX GT3 Input

I drove a Panamera S for 3800 miles, then upgraded to a Panamera Turbo with 1500 miles, total of over 5000 miles. Drove the Tail of the Dragon this weekend in NC and Tennessee. Sport Plus works great. I had a momentary AWD Fault (Warning Light) that cleared after two hours after a brief stop for fuel.

The PDK works great. My friends who drive them during races love them.

Remember that the 917 used a PDK and Porsche has been developing and using forms of the PDK for over 20 years. It is not a new transmission!!

Drive it hard!!

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alichtenberg
So has anyone had a problem with the transmission in this car? Like if you drive it hard or anything like that? Because one time I was coming home from my summer job, and I was driving it hard in sport plus mode(seeing what it could do no one was on the roads so don't worry), and all of a sudden I take a turn hard and the transmission gets stuck in 3rd gear 10 mins away from home and nowhere to stop. I get home, turn it off, turn it back on, take it back out and it is fine again, but has anyone had this problem? Should the PDK system be this fragile? Is it not suspoce to be driven like a sports car? Or was it just a faulty transmission maybe? One more question, would it be less durable since the Panamera is heavier then a 911, never test drove the old CTT with PDK, but all I know is the new 8-speed transmission is great.
There might be a recall soon for that...
A few Panameras have that problem...overheated oil transmission warning...but when that happens in general the tranny will go in "safe" mode...which means that you can't go over a certain speed...about 45km/h...but it looks like that didn't happen 2 you

If that happens you just have to turn off the car, and restart it 30 secs later. The warning is gone...
Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 PM
tkids
Pro

I just rolled over 2k and will be driving the car a little harder. Only thing I have encountered in my P4S was a Lurching. Car started to roll on idle and then I gave it some gas and the car lunged forward, pretty violently! Good there were no other cars around or infront!!

Quick Reply: PDK in the Panamera 4S