On the fence P4/A8L

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts
Default On the fence P4/A8L

I'm on the fence between a 2011 P4 (non-S) and a 2010 Audi A8L. A loaded 2010 E550 4Matic is a dark horse. Primarily a DD for the wife, but I get to drive it too.

The Audi is incentive-laden at this point, making future depreciation probably a wash, so this normal Audi weakness is mitigated. Even though the body style is old, it is a stunner in my book.

Any opinions from Panamera owners that may have experience with the A8L?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
kcturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my RS6 for a Panamera Turbo. The RS6 was one of my all time favorite cars. It was obviously quite different than the A8, but a great car.

I have enjoyed all of the Audis I have owned, but the service and support has always been better with my Porsches. I love my Panamera, but I do agree that the A8 is a beautiful car. If the choice was between a P4S or a P4 turbo and the A8, I would recommend the Panamera, but I would probably choose a loaded A8L over a P4. I would prefer to have the V8 in the A8
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife picked the Panamera by default.... she hates any car with the I drive variant. Works for me... keeps us in Porsches.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 AM
tkids
Pro

Has she driven both? Rear visibility could be an issue for the P4!?!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine loves it including the visability. Especially with the camera it is great for parking even insight spaces. Passinger mirror looks down so you see the curbing and the camera provides a great view. Better than you can see as the wide angle enables you to see backing out of a space with SUVs on both sides.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Yes, the visibility was an initial concern. Also, she is short and wasn't sure if she could get the seat high enough. So much so that we needed to go take a second test drive, during which I had her go to a busy grocery store, navigate the lot, park close between two other cars (normally verboten!) and back out with a cart coral behind her. It passed the test. The wide C pillars require more attention as well. This is somewhat offset vs. the Audi in that the overall length is about 9 inches shorter.

The camera is a definite must-have, and both cars have them.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:36 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by Jason M
Yes, the visibility was an initial concern. Also, she is short and wasn't sure if she could get the seat high enough. So much so that we needed to go take a second test drive, during which I had her go to a busy grocery store, navigate the lot, park close between two other cars (normally verboten!) and back out with a cart coral behind her. It passed the test. The wide C pillars require more attention as well. This is somewhat offset vs. the Audi in that the overall length is about 9 inches shorter.

The camera is a definite must-have, and both cars have them.
The more I drive the car the visibility even becomes less of an issue, FWIW!

So now what?! How do the rides compare? Are you test driving both cars with 20" wheels? Or?

Don't envy your decision. Are you dealerships in a position and have the cars to allow you to take one for a weekend or a Sunday, back on Monday?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am hoping to do the weekend test drive this week. One car has SC and no Burm and the other has Burm, no SC. I really want both, but can't find a car other than a 160 TT that has both and I don't want to spend that kind of money. I have SC on my 997 and don't use it alot. I am planning on an S.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:38 AM
phonetics
Advanced

audi a8 is plain ugly... why would u even need to think.. it makes u look like an impotent old man..
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Keep in mind 2010 A8 is the final year of the D3 body style, new body style is due out in a few mos. So expect to see a massive hit in terms of depreciation once the new body style comes out. My only thought would be to see how much of that hit you can put in the dealers lap as they'll be doing everything they can to clear out any existing 2010 A8 inventory for when the 2011 launches in October time frame. A CPO 2009 S8 might be an interesting idea as well, V10 lambo engine is never a bad choice.

I currently own a 2006 A8L, damn big car, very very under the radar, and if you feel like doing some interesting things to it to wake it up a bit. Parts from the Bentley Conti GT or Flying Spur fit as they're made on the same assembly lines....ROW Bentley's are made in Germany at the A8 factory, and the ones we see here in North America are still made in Crewe.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Audi dealer dropped almost $14k from sticker. With this and some estimates on residual value in 5 years, it was about a wash with the P4 in terms of guesstimated depreciation.

Regardless, I decided to go with the P4. Black/Black/Anthracite Birch, SC, upgraded wheels, heated front seats, Bose sound upgrade, XM radio (yes it is an option believe it or not), Parktronic with camera, and some other stuff I'm forgetting at the moment. Fresh off the truck, still in the wrap.

In the end, it was a question of which car would I be happy driving 3-4 years from now when my wife gets bored with it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:42 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Did you purchase it in Nashua? How was the buying experience?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
Did you purchase it in Nashua? How was the buying experience?
So far so good. I take delivery on Saturday, so I'll reserve final judgement until after that.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 PM
copasetic222
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned three A8's and an S8. Don't own a Panamera but have test driven them a couple times. Very different cars. Only one of them is a Porsche!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

just traded wife's 07 a8l off lease for 10 p4s. audi was nice with limo like rear room. not really a 'special' car though. p4s doesnt have that leg room but feels very special. more like a bentley/rr than bmw, mb, audi. the responses ive gotten have been very favorable.

Quick Reply: On the fence P4/A8L