Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Long Trip in Panamera S

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Trip in Panamera S

My wife and I just went round trip between Jacksonville, FL and Branson, MO for pleasure. A few thoughts and highlights:

25 MPG at ~ 75 MPH avg highway speed.

Seats were firm and supportive; took some time to get used to them. Our hips and legs were not sore on our last day of driving!

Watch for road debris, the car is quite wide and close to the ground compared to BMW and Mercedes.

No rattles at all.

Definitely takes Premium Gas. I tried some midgrade stuff and it rattled pretty good.

Plenty of storage space.

Drove in high temps up to 105 degrees and it was excellent. Oil and water temps rock solid and Air Conditioning was ice cold.

Got many positive remarks from onlookers.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seattle to LA and back.Nothing bad to say about the car. I love it.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

These things are good to hear. Our BMW lease is up and we are considering a 24 month lease on a Panamera. We looked at the new BMW, Mercedes, Audi line up and were not as impressed as we were with the Panamera. My wife could not believe the comfort and build quality and tripped out on the rear seating arrangements with the HVAC controls on the center console. Probably just going to go for the V6 since we lease them.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

My wife hates the Idrive so for her BMW,E63, and Audi were out. The car a very comfortable and really does have Porsche DNA when it comes to back road drives. Regardless of the what engine try to find the Sport Chrono Plus. The mapping choices will help especially with the 6
Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the advice. She drove one yesterday and had nothing bad to say. she said the car seemed big on the outside but she said it had a much better feel and was quieter than the BMW. Until of course she hammered it and she just loved the sound of the engine!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

have the dealer give you a loaner for the weekend and take it up to Ojai. I spent the night in Ventura on my trip in May and took the side trip up. We use to live in Oxnard (Silver Strand) and surf behind the Holliday Inn in Ventura back in 1978-1979. Fun,poor and carefree days.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Small world, I look at "Point' from my house everyday. It is still a sleepy coastal town that i call "Bakersfield by the Sea" (My millionaire neighbors hate that) but I love the place. Good Idea on the loaner gig. PM me if you come into town, would like to meet you.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

will do. Enjoy your new car
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I drove 3 hours each way to Indianapolis and back to Toledo yesterday in the 4S. There were 4 adult men in the car. Everyone was very comfortable despite the very hot humid weather. The car was rock solid, I got 25mpg on the open highway (avg speed about 85). At one point, a truck in front of me dropped a large piece of scrap metal from its bed onto the road, had to swerve to avoid it, car was very composed, and responsive and all the passengers were very impressed. We also had an intense downpour and thunderstorms, the car just soldiered on. It is a truly terrific vehicle.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by roberga
Seattle to LA and back.Nothing bad to say about the car. I love it.
I5 all the way, or some PCH?

Originally Posted by JAX GT3
My wife and I just went round trip between Jacksonville, FL and Branson, MO for pleasure.
Find some enjoyable roads during the hilly segments?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I5 all the way, or some PCH?

Find some enjoyable roads during the hilly segments?
I-5 - CA20 - CA53 -CA29-CA37 - 101- 280-101---Monterey:::ALMS the: 1 and 101 to Ventura and back to 1 PCH the rest of the way to LA. I-5 all the way back home.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Sounds like a great route on the way down. I gather that on the way back the priority was getting home. Did the Panamera feel in its element on all sorts of roads, or too large for some of them?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

The care is rock solid and on the road dropping into Calistoga did just fine. It zipped around L.S. nicely as well. The brakes are great and can go very late into corners. That being said... it is a 4 door car not a GT3. It is the most comfortable car I have ever had and on the street under normal to "spirited" driving it is fine. For me the GT3 is the track car.

Quick Reply: Long Trip in Panamera S