Panamera 2010-Current

first oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default first oil change question

hi, new PanS..1100miles, no change in oil level yet...
anyway, what's the consensus on 1st oil changes interval ? i've always changed my 1st oil of my new cars at about 1500 to 2000miles, then go to 1/2 of factory recommendations.... thinking the breakin oil would be 'dirtier' with metal flakes, etc.... what do you guys think?

also, has anyone changed their own oil ? i don't mind doing my own 'cause it's easier in terms of my time...is panamera /non turbo your aveage oil plug in the bottom and filter on the top deal or is it like my 996TT with multiple drain ports (which is why i haven't done that one myself yet...) ???

jim R
2010 PanS
Old 06-24-2010, 09:02 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Smart move, Jim. Do the first oil change early. Send the used oil for analysis too, to a lab like Blackstone, and establish your baseline data. I always do the first oil change at tbout the 1,000 mile mark.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading on this at Renntech. Not such an easy thing as it is difficult to measure what you need to put back in. The 997 was the easiest car I have ever change oil in, but the Panamera looks to be a challange as you need to drive the car 6 or so miles to get an actual reading. Dealerships are hooking it up to electronic device?? see Renntech. So far what I have read is you need to measure what you take out exactly and put that back in..ugh!

Keep us posted if you take it upon yourself to change it!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Default oil changes in Pan

well, that doesnt' sound right...why can they have a set amount of oil to fill after it's drained from a flat position... like any car, we should have a fairly close consistent amount of drain from a plug and fill that amount consistently, adjusting for oil filter amount....if it's a bit off, so what..as long as it's in btwn the top and bottom of the indicated range....

so far, no one has chnged the oil on their own then?

james R
Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this back and forth:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...4-maintenance/
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Default pan oil change /amount

well, read the other article...no help...the easiest thing for us DIYer is to have some one just tell us the volume of the oil to put back in , if we drain the bottom on a flat surface...
we don't need an 'exact' amount...ball park , how many qts to put in, then check later....as long as it's somewhere in btwn the top/bottom, we can adjust as needed individually...

as long as there isn't mx drain areas, it should be doable....
i don't do the 996 TT 'cause it's got 4 different drain ports...etc....

anyway, let's see if anyone can come up with a volume of oil to put back in on an average basis...

jR

Quick Reply: first oil change question