Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Auto-X in a P4S. WAY faster than I expected.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Auto-X in a P4S. WAY faster than I expected.

Interesting weekend!

The local POC group sponsored an Auto-X at Fontana Speedway this past Sunday. There was an entire weekend of Porsche events, including a 4-hour enduro on the track.

Friday and Saturday, PCNA had some demo cars on scene and instructors from PSDS (Cass, JP, Brian and Chris) were there to help out. I managed to do a few Auto-X laps in both a P2S and a P4S. I discovered that the P2S will definitely push out the front end if you hit the gas too soon on exit - and killed a couple of cones to prove it! (Why do those things always happen right in front of everybody?????)

See separate thread entitled "Hot Lap in a Panamera." The two cars in that video are the same two cars I'm referring to in this post. The video was obviously taken at the same Auto-X event in Fontana.

What was really interesting was the discovery that we could sign up for a 1-hour private lesson on the course with the PSDS instructor of our choice, driving our choice of their cars. We went back the next morning and did exactly that. My friend Elisa spent an hour with Cass in a C4S cab, and I spent an hour with Chris in a P4S. We've both done PSDS Performance and Masters, so we both have a little experience, and I already know she's a faster driver than me.

So, the amazing part is this. With just the two of us out on the course, with her in front, she could not drop the Panamera, even though I was at a 1000 pound or more disadvantage. The P4S was absolutely amazing in its ability to accelerate and turn with the C4S. She would pull away a little in some parts of the course, and I would pull her back in others. She was lapping just a very little bit quicker than me.

To give you an idea of Elisa's driving skills, she did the Auto-X competition on Sunday. Driving PCNA's stock C4S cab, she beat practically everybody at the competition, including at least one GT3. The only cars that did beat her were GT3s or faster, including a GT2 and a GT3 Cup. So the fact that I could almost hang with her in a P4S tells me this car is pretty damned impressive.

Mine is still in break-in. Can't wait to get some more miles so I can let 'er rip.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'10 P4S

Last edited by DMoore; 06-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto-X in a P4S. WAY faster than I expected.