Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

1st gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 1st gear?

i do not have the sport chrono on my p4s and cannot get car into 1st gear in auto mode. ive tried sport mode and stomping gas but stays in 2nd. can get 1st in manual mode though.

acts more like a 6 speed thats just numbered from 2-7 instead of 1-6. is that normal? does chrono pkg allow for auto 1st gear?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:59 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i do not have the sport chrono on my p4s and cannot get car into 1st gear in auto mode. ive tried sport mode and stomping gas but stays in 2nd. can get 1st in manual mode though.

acts more like a 6 speed thats just numbered from 2-7 instead of 1-6. is that normal? does chrono pkg allow for auto 1st gear?
sport plus with or without sportchrono kicks down to first but will stay in second on down shifts until very slow or stopped in my PTT
Old 05-08-2010, 02:07 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

turbo might be different. i cant get 1st kickdown
Old 05-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excerpts from After Sales Training Manual
• M Sport Plus not active: Always starts in 2nd gear
• M Sport active: Always starts in 2nd gear
• M Sport Plus active: Always starts 1st gear. 7th gear not available. Launch control available.
• D Sport and Sport Plus not active: Always starts 2nd gear
• D Sport active: Always starts in 2nd gear. 7th available only at higher speeds
• D Sport Plus active: Always starts 1st gear. 7th gear not available. Launch control available.
No specific description of kickdown other than to reference reduced engine torque in D, with Sport and Sport Plus inactive (when calling for downshifts). Program is for comfort.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:34 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

still confusing but seems will only auto start in 1st if sport plus selected which is optional chrono pkg.

misleading that they market it as 4 place sport car but cant start in 1st gear unless buy expensive option pkg.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Correct. I obtained a copy of the Porsche AfterSales Training Manual after I placed my order, but before the order was locked. So I had the opportunity to change my order based on the much more detailed information. I had already ordered Sport Chrono, but did add variable steering after understanding how it functions.

The sales staff should have this knowledge but I have found that many have not read this material. If Sport Chrono was presented properly, it would likely be an option that most buyers would include. PDCC and Air Suspension fall into this category as well.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

oh well. thats not the worst mistake dealer made advising me though. he told me park assist was std and demonstrated it on turbo model which is totally different than my 4s. very difficult to park without it. car dealers really s**k at what they do
Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

sorry for your dealer not knowing the car. Don't buy any more cars from them and make sure you research all the questions yourself have before the next purchase.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

My salesman also knew less than he should have about the car. I feel sorry for any buyer who has only casual knowledge about these products. Park assist is standard, but only on the rear. I opted to get it for the front too and I love it and don't feel I need the backup camera at all. Would be great to get a copy of the Porsche training manual, is that on-line anywhere?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

yes, the PDF is on the "build your Porsche". I went through it prior to my purchase. Also, if you build your own you will be able to see the standard and options. Camera is great and makes my wife less stressed parking. The screen makes a nice video screen with some after delivery "adjustments"
Old 05-11-2010, 12:03 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
yes, the PDF is on the "build your Porsche". I went through it prior to my purchase. Also, if you build your own you will be able to see the standard and options. Camera is great and makes my wife less stressed parking. The screen makes a nice video screen with some after delivery "adjustments"
perhaps you might like to "share" a little bit about the "adjustments"?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Dan993
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadc4s
Would be great to get a copy of the Porsche training manual, is that on-line anywhere?
The manual is not available online that I can find. Exact title:

Aftersales Training
Panamera Technical Introduction
Model Year 2010
Porsche part # PNA PNM 001
Edition 9/09

It is spiral bound, 8.5 X 11 or so, and about 100 pages, full color. I understand that each dealer got one copy?

It covers the following and includes many diagrams, charts, exploded views, flow charts, maintenance settings and more:
  • Engine
  • Fuel and ignition system
  • Transmission
  • Chassis
  • Body
  • Body Equipment, exterior
  • Body Equipment, interior
  • Heating, AC
  • Electrics/electronics
Working on getting the workshop manual next.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it on line from Suncoast Porsche. $24.95 plus shipping.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...accessoriesint
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
rmapson
Advanced

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
oh well. thats not the worst mistake dealer made advising me though. he told me park assist was std and demonstrated it on turbo model which is totally different than my 4s. very difficult to park without it. car dealers really s**k at what they do
The 1st dealership I went to, the SALES MANAGER didn't know how to work the Navigation System. Then he proceeds to tell my wife about the "automatic windows & door locks" she then say's in voice dripping with sarcasm "for a $150k all you get is auto doors and windows"??? I asked about the PCCB brakes and what's the difference between them and the standard Turbo brakes and he say's "They will throw you thru the window" referring to the stopping power of PCCB vs Red Caliper. Which was totally wrong!!! And this guy was the SALES MANAGER
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by rmapson
The 1st dealership I went to, the SALES MANAGER didn't know how to work the Navigation System. Then he proceeds to tell my wife about the "automatic windows & door locks" she then say's in voice dripping with sarcasm "for a $150k all you get is auto doors and windows"??? I asked about the PCCB brakes and what's the difference between them and the standard Turbo brakes and he say's "They will throw you thru the window" referring to the stopping power of PCCB vs Red Caliper. Which was totally wrong!!! And this guy was the SALES MANAGER
Not surprised. With my experience with many P dealers as well as other brand dealerships. You cannot or should not expect anything different or better. If you do find any sales related person that knows their product, I would be very very surprised.

That is what sites like this are good for....discussion. Thanks to this thead, when I was again test driving the Pana, I knew what was going on with the Tranny!

Quick Reply: 1st gear?