Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

discounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 363 Likes on 213 Posts

Sadly the dealership across the street does not have a clue. They used to- I bought my first Porsche there; went to them regularly for service and became good friends with the technician who serviced my cars. Then they were purchased by Sonic Automotive. Almost instantly, the thermostats were adjusted and locked making it so cold service customers were shivering (imagine the poor people who worked there). Everyone who was good left within months- the Sales Manager, the Service Manager and most of the technicians (including my friend). The place hasn't been the same since. I went there for service two months ago (initial service on the 997); they charged me giga retail and failed to fix the TPM system as I requested. I basically paid $800 to have the oil changed.

Fishes rot from the head IMO. A good salesperson or technician can make a bad dealership tolerable or even good. But good people don't want to work for bad companies.

I won't be going there again for a long time- even though they're the closest dealership to me and very convenient.

And ricster you are indeed clueless- you want to sell cars but seem to take delight in alienating people- I don't think anyone on here's going to be buying from you.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I treat my clients very well and that is why I have fantastic repeat clients. I am not clueless...I am in this business a very long time. I just think everyone gets sooo touchy on this board. I didnt say its bad to look for discounts...just saying its not needed from my perspective yet as the car is brand new to market. There are the early adopters and so forth...early adopters usually pay more for that privilage. So chill out guys.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

The "early in" guys are long gone. The reality is that these cars are all selling with discounts everywhere, or they're not selling. In this day and age of the automotive market place, the market in brand new cars is pretty transparent. Anyone can pick up the phone or work on the internet and solicit prices on virtually identical cars to seek a discount or a firm whose salespeople are to their liking.

One of the things you clearly don’t recognize is that your “perspective” is extremely skewed since you need to get as much money as you can out of each sale. Ridiculing people for seeking a 5 grand or more discount, and insinuating that only “big” boys and girls can play at some level speaks volumes.

Some great quotes from rice…
“I treat my clients very well and that is why I have fantastic repeat clients.”… Self declaration, you may have fantastic repeat clients but not that many?
“I am not clueless...” Self declaration, but your posts would indicate otherwise.
“I am in this business a very long time.” Sort of indicates you’ve been in the car sales business a long time, just not sure of exactly what slang, vernacular or version of the actual English language that phrase is part of. “Long time” would need a qualifier, for example you may consider 5 years a long time, whereas others would call someone with only 5 years experience a neophyte.
“I didnt say its bad to look for discounts...just saying its not needed from my perspective yet as the car is brand new to market.” Well this has some truth to it. You didn’t outright say it was bad to look for discounts you just insulted people for implying they should look.
“...early adopters usually pay more for that privilage.” … I would agree with that statement but with the assumption you meant “privilege” as opposed to the collection of letters you typed as (privilege). I would add this… That time has passed and in fact that window due to the economy was very short as compared to historical times. Porsche plans to sell somewhere north of 20k units so these cars don’t have exclusivity something like a GT2 or GT3 has.

Have a great day, hope you sell a dozen Panamera’s at MSRP today!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

~5% off here too...

Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
ricster
Banned

Hi Trader,

sold 1 today..a 4s at msrp....hope you enjoyed selling also. 25 years in the business by the way. 1984 mid year so coming up on 26 years..and yourself?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trader220
Pole, take all the shots you like, you don’t know me, you don’t know the people whom I work for and despite your claim you don’t know the “vast majority of Porsche sales people”. I am sure the statistical sample size you used to make that silly generalization is large enough to be an accurate representation of the entire set. Nothing makes me laugh more than an anonymous person who hides behind their computer and lobs bombs at people he has never met.

We’re not a rennlist sponsor and I don’t solicit business on this forum. Based on your cowardly post I am sure you know the inner workings of every single dealer in the country and every sales person in the country. Since you already have a very accurate idea of how many units I sold in 2009 and what my net gross is perhaps you could evaluate my situation for me? You know, give me some pointers out of your vast knowledge of all the sales people and management in the Porsche world. While you’re doing that perhaps you could give our management some tips too since we actually increased the number of units sold in 2009 over 2008 and moved up into the top 10 of the national ranking of Porsche dealers. I realize that’s no big deal in a year like 2009 and if we had you here we’d surely be number one in units and probably double the average gross per unit.

I eagerly await your sage advice
Greenpea post......................if my statements, which are the blunt truth, already ruffled you up and got me in your head, on a forum board lol, me thinks you don't have much game once you don't have a lay down in front of you, wait.....then we resort to the ultimate weapon, price selling once you got a difficult customer to deal with...........................if I can play you like a fiddle on the net it should give you a idea what I can do( aka manipulate) with a customer in front of me................all to my advantage.

BTW, top ten dealer, good for you..........I play/ed on the top three level..............anonymous, yeah, there are several so called well respected forum members who know me and while by choice I can't stand their doublecrossing A**es nevertheless they know what I am capable off .....or not.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Rojda
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARGH.......................................................

This thread has become pathetic to those of us that drive Porsches.

You guys are just pissing on yourselves.

Ever wonder why the public disdains car salesmen?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

+1

Car salesmen who are proud of selling something to a customer for a minimum of $5,000 more than the current market create the stereotype.

Might as well say "I am slime and proud of it"
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 AM
ricster
Banned

Thanks Maxsar...well said!!!!

except the slime part...I think its the ability to do the job properly and to make the client happy.

One thing that is said and is sooo true if you have been in this business long enough:

Those who pay the most are the most happy. My clients who pay all the money...love me and the work I provide during and after the service...the guy who beats you up on price has a horrible experience and is just a miserable pr%#k

Last edited by ricster; 01-17-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thoughs?

I hope this is a joke and you don't actually believe that silliness.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:10 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Such juvenile invective, to which this thread has devolved, is very disappointing. I thought that this forum was to share information of value to those interested in the Panamera. FWIW, I have paid MSRP or sometimes a bit less for Porsches, MB's, Audis and BMW's, but would avoid the Connecticut car sales dude. Life is just too short to tolerate such hubris at any time, much less when spending such money.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:10 PM
ricster
Banned

God everyone just lighten up. It is sooo easy to get everyone going on here lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
Greenpea post......................if my statements, which are the blunt truth, already ruffled you up and got me in your head, on a forum board lol, me thinks you don't have much game once you don't have a lay down in front of you, wait.....then we resort to the ultimate weapon, price selling once you got a difficult customer to deal with...........................if I can play you like a fiddle on the net it should give you a idea what I can do( aka manipulate) with a customer in front of me................all to my advantage.

BTW, top ten dealer, good for you..........I play/ed on the top three level..............anonymous, yeah, there are several so called well respected forum members who know me and while by choice I can't stand their doublecrossing A**es nevertheless they know what I am capable off .....or not.
Hey it’s the internet if you want to portray yourself as a tough guy who thinks he’s manipulating people go right ahead. In reality all you’ve done is make a bunch of hollow claims as an anonymous poster on a web forum. You’ve played no one, and nor have you established anything in the real world.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ricster
Hi Trader,

sold 1 today..a 4s at msrp....hope you enjoyed selling also. 25 years in the business by the way. 1984 mid year so coming up on 26 years..and yourself?
Just one? Well heck its the internet I sold 4 at MSRP plus LOL. Everyone is rich and good looking and sells at MRSP or above and buys under invoice and hold back. This is nothing you should see some of the global capital markets boards I am a monitor on, the claims there are much funnier than a guy who says he's selling MSRP in a market thats not paying MSRP.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
ricster
Banned

Just one? Well heck its the internet I sold 4 at MSRP plus LOL

Just speaking the truth....sold 1 at msrp saturday. Its a March finish date. No big deal

Quick Reply: discounts