Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,199 Likes on 1,240 Posts

That is a very cool color combination.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Ape
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phonetics
how does the PDCC affect normal daily non-highspeed driving?

the dealer told i could just feel the effect on the rear seat at high speed... so i am struggling whether to have it or not... please share some thoughts..
The dealer is just trying to sell you what he can get his hands on. I would NEVER get ANY variant of Panamera without PDCC.

In normal driving conditions (in COMFORT mode) the car is serene and smooth but when you decide to get aggressive the car responds perfectly. In Sport Mode you still have a nice ride but it responds quicker and has a rougher ride (in a good way).....In Sport Plus all bets are off!! IT SIMPLY ROCKS MY WORLD!

Bottom Line: With PDCC you get ALL the ride quality of a non-equipped version BUT you get SO MUCH MORE.

I hope that helps.
Ape
Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Ape
Thanks for the all the congrats guys......I gotta run my kid to school (CANT WAIT TO DRIVE IT!) So, I'll be brief. All I can say is that after driving everything under the sun over the last 5 years including cars that I've owned (M5, QP Maser, F430, 997 TT) that the Panamera 4S might just be the best all around car I have ever driven.
I'll give a FULL report on my initial impressions of the car later today.
Thanks!
Ape
Would love to read your comparison between the Maserati and the Panamera... I have been wanting to get into a Maserati for some time now and with the Panamera out I am waiting to read a few reviews before deciding.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Ape
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Would love to read your comparison between the Maserati and the Panamera... I have been wanting to get into a Maserati for some time now and with the Panamera out I am waiting to read a few reviews before deciding.
The Maserati QP is a GREAT car in many ways but compared to a Panamera......well......NOT EVEN CLOSE! The Panamera is such a better
handling car that it's almost a joke to compare the two. The Maser is
slower, no AWD, no Launch Control, No PDK, on and on.....

I liked my Maserati, but I'm in LOVE with the Panamera.

Last edited by Ape; 11-19-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2009, 01:49 AM
JWGT2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ape
I said earlier that I would give a detailed post about the car, but I'm just too burnt to give it justice.
Quickly, I will say.......
Sports Chrono and PDCC are a MUST. I'm stunned at how friggin' hard you can push this car to the limit and it begs for more.
The feedback is constant and the damn car NEVER looses grip. I'm simply shocked that a car this size is so light on it's feel yet perfectly planted simultaneously.
I chose the 4S over the Turbo for a reason. I prefer the handling and with no turbo lag combined with Direct Injection it all comes together.
Launch Control is so much fun it should be illegal!
Lastly, Im in love with the PDK.
Sleep
I agree...the car NEVER loses grip
i test drove this past Sunday and was stunned how nimble such a large car could be....pdk was amazing too.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 AM
phonetics
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ape
The Maserati QP is a GREAT car in many ways but compared to a Panamera......well......NOT EVEN CLOSE! The Panamera is such a better

it's amazing to hear that it is even a better drive than cars like f430... i understand can't compare in terms of speed but still.. there is quite huge gap in their prices.. can't wait to drive mine... hearing all these good things about it... but the thing is i didn't order sport chrono so there is no launch control for me i guess..
Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Ape
Advanced

Originally Posted by phonetics
it's amazing to hear that it is even a better drive than cars like f430... i understand can't compare in terms of speed but still.. there is quite huge gap in their prices.. can't wait to drive mine... hearing all these good things about it... but the thing is i didn't order sport chrono so there is no launch control for me i guess..
What I said was that it's the best (ALL AROUND) car I have ever driven. I can't say that it's BETTER at ripping through the canyons than my old F430, or that it's as FAST as my 997TT but it can pretty much do anything those cars can do in REAL WORLD driving conditions.

The F1 transmission in the Ferrari's (430, 599, 612) is amazing and has an incredible feel BUT the PDK is sooooooo much better. The F1 gives you a visceral feel and the F430 is a INVHO the most fun mid-engined car to drive. I miss that car, but I did put 27K miles on it in 24 months, so I got my seat time in for sure. That being said, the Panamera (which is a totally different vehicle) is 98% as much fun to drive BUT it's sooooooooooo flexible that you can drive it like an old lady or REALLY dig in. The Panamera is without a doubt the most capable and versatile car ever designed.

Another thing! I LOVE paddle shifters. I liked them in my M5, 430, and QP and I was not even interested in trying out the PDK with it;s steering wheel mounted shift buttons. I read so many reviews complaining about them. I even ordered my next 997TT with paddle shifters......Something strange happened after spending a week in the Panamera. I LOVE THE PDK as is. I might even change my order on the 997TT back to teh standard PDK wheel mounted button set up. The more I drive it the more I understand why Porsche designed them the way they did. AGAIN, it's so flexible and intuitive that it becomes an after thought. I find myself using both the left and right to up or down shift at any given time.

As Jamie140 mentioned in an earlier post, I had a Ferrari 599 HGTE on order but due to an ex-wife and court order I had to plunk down for a house (LONG STORY)....The loan terms are so bad these days that I decided to just bite the bullet and pay cash......but that meant no 599 : (

It all worked out because I now have a car at a THIRD the price that I actually prefer! I ended up getting a SMOKING deal and a LOT MORE car than I bargained for.

: )
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
356ecstasy
1st Gear

sweeet ride! I can't imagine giving up my Cayman S for it but it's so much more practical for a daily driver.

I think I may have spotted your Pana a couple days ago in one of the structures in back of the 3rd St. Prom... 11-99 frame, no paper plate? I did a double-take cause it's the first I've seen one on the streets. Enjoy :-)
Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ape
The dealer is just trying to sell you what he can get his hands on. I would NEVER get ANY variant of Panamera without PDCC.

In normal driving conditions (in COMFORT mode) the car is serene and smooth but when you decide to get aggressive the car responds perfectly. In Sport Mode you still have a nice ride but it responds quicker and has a rougher ride (in a good way).....In Sport Plus all bets are off!! IT SIMPLY ROCKS MY WORLD!

Bottom Line: With PDCC you get ALL the ride quality of a non-equipped version BUT you get SO MUCH MORE.

I hope that helps.
Ape
I've driven the Panamera with sport chrono plus, but not with the PDCC. I get that the sport chrono makes a difference, but how can you tell if the PDCC is making a difference, unless you're at the track? I'm considering it. I know I want the sport chrono plus, but also told the PDCC would not be noticable except at the track. I'm not going to track this car, so......?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Ape
Advanced

Originally Posted by 356ecstasy
sweeet ride! I can't imagine giving up my Cayman S for it but it's so much more practical for a daily driver.

I think I may have spotted your Pana a couple days ago in one of the structures in back of the 3rd St. Prom... 11-99 frame, no paper plate? I did a double-take cause it's the first I've seen one on the streets. Enjoy :-)
That was me!
Old 11-21-2009, 03:32 AM
Ape
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedread
I've driven the Panamera with sport chrono plus, but not with the PDCC. I get that the sport chrono makes a difference, but how can you tell if the PDCC is making a difference, unless you're at the track? I'm considering it. I know I want the sport chrono plus, but also told the PDCC would not be noticable except at the track. I'm not going to track this car, so......?
According to more than one source that had driven both, PDCC can be felt while doing aggressive maneuvers on the street as well as the track.....All I can say is that the car sticks like glue no matter what I throw at it. Get the PDCC you wont regret it!
: )
Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape

Thanks for the comparison. Those two are at the top of my list.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speedread
my turbo cayanne had pdcc - around town the bigggest "feel" of pdcc are lane changes - which were totally flat - as well just cranking around a 90 degree in town - again it was totally flat - almost freaky flat.

i do miss pdcc on the GTS - but as it is more a winter vehicle the issue backgrounds itself.

Ape - don't you find even 2nd gear too short?
Old 11-22-2009, 03:57 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Congratulations!

Do share your thoughts on the car. How does it feel, drive, noise, handling, ease of use of all the buttons in the center console, seats, visibility front/back/sides, etc.
I though about the buttons at first. I HATE the FU@king I-drives so will take buttons all day long.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you post more pics of your car? I think black is the color to get. Is that black or basalt? Is the rear styling agreeing with you?

Quick Reply: Just picked up my Panamera 4S!!!