Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

I pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:22 AM
rombrigs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I pulled the trigger

Below are the specs. I'm set on the exterior color, would welcome any opinions on doing something more creative with the interior though. November build date.

Panamera Turbo 970 430
BASE Panamera Turbo
1A Carbon Grey Metallic
1A Carbon Grey Metallic
BB Two-Tone Black / Platinum Grey
686 XM Satellite Radio
619 Bluetooth® Phone Interface
682 Burmester High-End Sound-Systm
870 Universal Audio Interface
823 Birch Anthracite Interior Pkg
CVW Rear View Mirror in Leather
970 Leather Int Package Two-Tone
XFG Instrument Dials Guards Red
810 Floor Mats
861 Pwr Sunscreen-Rear Side Windws
576 4-zone Automatic A/C System
630 Rear Interior Lighting Package
P81 Adaptive Sport Seats w/Mem Pkg
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brak
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
638 ParkAssist F/R Inc Rear Camera
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
417 20" RS Spyder Design wheel
Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Nice configuration. I have read a couple of reviews that have said that the Sport Exhaust System is a "must have" option. I have PSE on my 997 C4 Cab and it is just about my favorite option.
Also, considering Dallas, do you want to consider cooled seats and/or the heat and noise insulating glass?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

the heat insulated glass on some cars has a thin layer of metal impregnated into it that make your radar detector useless
Old 07-26-2009, 08:01 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of going with optional wheels, not sure what the option upgrade $$$ is, what about going with stock wheels and then exploring aftermarket options.

The few photos I've seen of the car it seems like the car needs either bigger wheels of a different offset to look a little better.

Are these the 20" RS wheels?

Last edited by blitz928; 06-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
rombrigs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blitz928
Instead of going with optional wheels, not sure what the option upgrade $$$ is, what about going with stock wheels and then exploring aftermarket options.

The few photos I've seen of the car it seems like the car needs either bigger wheels of a different offset to look a little better.

Are these the 20" RS wheels?
Yea, those are the 20" RS wheels. You can't get the ceramic brakes without them, so I'm stuck with them. They really aren't very expensive, about $1500 or so. I've never been a huge fan of aftermarket, dumped to much $$$ into a Supra Turbo about 10 years ago and couldn't get a dime out of it. Hmm, kinda like what I'm doing on this Panamera I suppose.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
rombrigs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TomFromCT
Nice configuration. I have read a couple of reviews that have said that the Sport Exhaust System is a "must have" option. I have PSE on my 997 C4 Cab and it is just about my favorite option.
Also, considering Dallas, do you want to consider cooled seats and/or the heat and noise insulating glass?
Thanks. I have the PSE on my C4S and enjoy it. I would consider the PSE on the Panamera if it was a non-turbo. You just don't get the same effect when you have those turbos in the exhaust. It's an expensive option to, about $4K. I would rather dump that into PDCC, at least it actually does something for the performance.

I went back and forth on the seats, to get the cooled seat option you have to go with the standard seats. I love the adaptive sports seats in my 911, would never buy one without them. Plus, they look better. I've never had cooled seats, so I guess I won't miss them.

I've heard the insulating glass is a BS deal, not worth the money, about a $1100 upgrade, and if you tint the windows they look funky.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Rojda
Intermediate

Default Trigger

Did your dealer give you any discount off MSRP? How much deposit did they require?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
rombrigs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rojda
Did your dealer give you any discount off MSRP? How much deposit did they require?
No discount. I did ask but didn't push it very hard, I was in a weak bargaining position because they knew I wanted an early one, so I'm getting their 4th turbo allocation and they apparently have enough demand through the end of the year (Park Place Dallas). I pushed hard for the 3rd allocation, which is an October build date, but they wouldn't give it to me. Obviously, that's a very temporary condition, probably by beginning of 2010 a discount will be easy. I've been told that Boardwalk still has fall 2009 allocations available (for the turbo I'm not up to speed on the S/4S), so someone out there should be willing to deal, I just didn't do any legwork.

As bad as Porsche needs money, it's not going to surprise me at all if the car gets built early, I suspect they are going to push the pre-sold cars out the door as fast as possible. I should probably be getting my head examined.

$5K non-refundable deposit, but if I don't want the car I can move it to something else (GT3 or new turbo).

-Roger
Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats Roger.

As a high performance sedan this is the best, but I still think the price is a bit steep.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:50 PM
rombrigs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Congrats Roger.

As a high performance sedan this is the best, but I still think the price is a bit steep.
The price is ridiculous, I'm already choking on it, and I haven't stroked the check yet. Of course, I'm blowing $9K on brakes and $4K on a stereo, so that's jacking it up quite a bit.

Park Place Bentley offered me a 2009 Flying Spur Speed for $165K, it has less then 4K miles on it. It's really making me think twice. Frankly, if it wasn't for the perception of driving a $200K+ high profile brand it would be a no brainer, but I like to keep a little lower profile.

-Roger
Old 08-23-2009, 12:36 AM
tveltman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dark knight
the heat insulated glass on some cars has a thin layer of metal impregnated into it that make your radar detector useless
As an unsolicited FYI, if your radar detector is useless, that at least means that the police radar won't be bouncing off of your interior bits (seatbelt fittings, rearview mirror, etc). Now if you could only obscure that radiator/engine block/frame you'd have yourself a stealth car...
Old 08-23-2009, 03:42 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tveltman
As an unsolicited FYI, if your radar detector is useless, that at least means that the police radar won't be bouncing off of your interior bits (seatbelt fittings, rearview mirror, etc). Now if you could only obscure that radiator/engine block/frame you'd have yourself a stealth car...
actually the radar still reflects back, it has to be deflected at specific computer generated and calculated angles to be a stealth car thats why the stealth fighter has all those facets, and once they got close enough it wouldn't matter
Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Hello Roger, congrats on the order! You'll love the Panamera. I was in Germany last week and saw the car physically and although I was skeptical to begin with, I was an instant convert the moment I saw it. The dealer fired up the turbo for me and it was awesome! As has been said before, the pictures don't do it justice. I'm glad you added the Burmester sound package. It is nothing short of sensational. Bose in my P car sounds meager compared to the Burmester. The seats are phenomenal and the legroom at the back is ample. Truly a terrific car.

I too will be placing my order for a Panamera over the next few months not sure whether to go 4S or Turbo.

BTW, you bought my C4S. I hope it has served you well.

Congrats again.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You're equipping it very nicely. It's unfortunate that the ala carte ordering process racks up the bucks so quickly. But you're optioning it like I would. PCCBs,--absolutely! And the Burmeister.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 AM
phonetics
Advanced

i would not add the burmester system... there is only slight difference from bose in very high volume...

Quick Reply: I pulled the trigger