Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

I think this blue Panamera...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, I was invited by Maseratti to a private track day at Road Atlanta (last year) to drive (thrash) their new cars.
They mentioned that they are providing a new clutch to all owners as a 'goodwill warranty' item.

The interior leather was gorgeous, the engine and exhaust note was all Ferrari and the gearbox in sport mode was a bit harsh IMHO. Not a bad car.
As they should. I know of a few owners who were not so lucky in the beginning and had more than one very expensive clutch job. The engine is Ferrari what can you say that is bad so long as you don't talk about service costs. The interiors are very nice but fragile and don't hold up well to wear and tear. The biggest issue is they depreciate worse than a Cayenne and don't hold up well. Kind of like a 550 drive one with 10k and one with 30k and they are 2 totally different cars. Unlike Porsche's which seem to feel the same no matter how many miles so long as they are maintained. I will also say from what I have seen the PDK is far superior.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like every angle of the new Panamera - The deciding factor will be down to price

But if it's cheaper than a Bentley CGT in turbo spec then I'm signing on the dealers dotted line

The Bentley's interior is far better looking though!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
This thing is a huge piece of ****.
+1

Though I think it will look bearable with some big forged wheels, drop, and some aero pieces.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Dr. Car
Racer

I think it's big and chubby looking in a way no Porsche should be ... but hey, there's already the Cayenne. I think it will do better than the Phaeton, but what's the over/under on the Panamera making it to a second generation before going out of production?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Dr. Car
Racer

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
+1

Though I think it will look bearable with some big forged wheels, drop, and some aero pieces.
Are you joking?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:33 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

I can see it now, the Panamera RS !!! Take out the back seat, and ....
Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the designers of the Pontiac Aztec did the B-pillar aft on the car; from the B pillar forward it is good (not great) but wow have they lost the plot. Would rather have a late model QP over this car; you can be sure the Panamera will drive well but that will be the only thing going for it.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
As they should. I know of a few owners who were not so lucky in the beginning and had more than one very expensive clutch job. The engine is Ferrari what can you say that is bad so long as you don't talk about service costs. The interiors are very nice but fragile and don't hold up well to wear and tear. The biggest issue is they depreciate worse than a Cayenne and don't hold up well. Kind of like a 550 drive one with 10k and one with 30k and they are 2 totally different cars. Unlike Porsche's which seem to feel the same no matter how many miles so long as they are maintained. I will also say from what I have seen the PDK is far superior.
PDK is a dual clutch system; the Maserati is a single clutch that I believe will be phased out in favor of the new dual clutch system that will is used in the new Ferrari California and will appear in the QP replacement. The interiors need to be maintained (Leatherique) on the QP/Coupes but their owners love'em. As for the coupes the 6 spd manual cars are supposedly bulletproof mechanical-wise. Depreciation is massive which makes a well maintained car a bargain-I bet the Panamera will suffer huge depreciation also and it will still be ugly. The engines use chains so no $5K timing belt bills; oil changes can be done by mere mortals. As with all makes of cars, the later model cars had improvements but all have their problems, including our beloved P-Cars.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I think the new car is totally awesome for what it is meant to be-a GT car.

I can see where those who try to confuse it with a 911 would be disappointed. I'm sure this car will fall into the same category as the QP and lure potential customers in for the test ride. I short trip behind the wheel should seal the deal.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:46 AM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't hate it, but I keep looking at the pictures trying to find reasons to like it. That's inherently wrong. From the first spy shot of the QP I thought WOW what a gorgeous car. First shot of the Estoque and I thought holy crap, that's incredible. Even the CLS was a wow moment, they have got to build that! But not one wow from the Panamera.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:52 AM
banzai993
Racer

Originally Posted by future
I like every angle of the new Panamera - The deciding factor will be down to price

But if it's cheaper than a Bentley CGT in turbo spec then I'm signing on the dealers dotted line

The Bentley's interior is far better looking though!
anyone have an idea on the price?

I suppose similar to S550 MB for the 2WD "entry" model?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM
piccardo
Racer

Cant find one good angle. It is unique but so is a new charger and this thing is even uglier than the charger. These are not well proportioned lines. Looks like an amature stretch job, maybe worse.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Cayenne S
2nd Gear

They really should do some thing about the rear.. It's ugly!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by designman
A little clumsy looking in full profile but not bad. 3/4 views are OK. Looks better than rival German products IMO. Reminds self... it's a sedan... looks more like a Cayman sedan than 911 sedan. Porsche is growing up and the lines are blurring.
Between a BMW M5, an Audi RS6, a Mercedes E63 AMG and the Panamera, you honestly think the Panamera is the best looking?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by banzai993
anyone have an idea on the price?

I suppose similar to S550 MB for the 2WD "entry" model?
According to Top Gear, in Britain they are expecting 90,000GBP which is about 15,000GBP more than an RS6 and about 25,000GBP more than an M5...

Quick Reply: I think this blue Panamera...