2017 Panamera Turbo reliablility

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2024, 07:16 PM
Aeggroup
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 Panamera Turbo reliablility

Hello All.
New guy here trying to get into the Porsche Panamera world. I currently own 2021 Audi A8 8 cyl, but would like to get something more sportier than that. I think Panamera would be the good candidate.
I found several non CPO 2017-2018 Panamera Turbo models with about 45K-50K miles on ODO that I would be interested in. What is your opinion on Turbo models reliability.
Ideally I'd like to get CPO car, but not sure that I can find it with the price range that I'm comfortable with. My Audi is still on factory plus CPO warranty till September of 2027 and it makes me think twice before switching to a car without any warranty.

Thank you all.
Old 09-21-2024, 08:17 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Water pump and other coolant-affected components are weaknesses on the current EA825 V8 and EA839 V6 engines. Lots of reports on rennlist and Audiworld.

Water pump replacement is a couple grand $ +/- depending on dealer, Indy or DIY labor and whether or a failed water pump collaterally takes the vacuum pump with it. Water pump is one the the larger risks at higher mileage with these engines.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:21 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts

If you are buying outside CPO, service history and a good PPI will be key. There is a very expensive service at 40K miles that hopefully wasn't missed. I believe there is additional maintenance for a Turbo like shorter spark plug changes if I'm not mistaken. See if a dealer can pull anything up with the vin. Carfax may have some vague service history on it too. 50Kish miles over 6 years means the service would likely need to be performed by time rather than mileage.
Old 09-22-2024, 12:10 PM
Aeggroup
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys.
I think water pump is universal issue for all VAG motors, Porsche and Audi, which I currently have. So I'm kind of ready for that.
I test drove one car yesterday and liked it. It's 2017 Turbo with 44K miles on ODO and it's much more sportier than my current A8 100 extra horse powers plus lighter weight makes a lot of difference.
That car was sold CPO on June 2024 and then about 1-2 months later the owner traded in for new luxury SUV. IMO there is nothing strange in it. What you think ?
The only question I have - is that CPO warranty will be in effect if I'll get this car ?
I think I will need to contact the closest Porsche dealer with the VIN# of that car to get the definite answer. Ideally I'd like to find a car with Burmeister stereo system, but it's tough.
Old 09-22-2024, 12:20 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts

CPO will not be in effect if you buy it from a non Porsche dealer. At least you know the car was inspected by a dealer a few months ago. People here crap on the CPO program, but they fixed a ton of stuff on my car during the CPO process. Maybe hit up that guy on here that sells warranties. @Highline-Autos.com I think it is. I have Bose which is really nice. I've never heard the Burmeister myself, but I've seen plenty of folks here say its not worth the 6K. I like jamming in my cars and I am happy with the Bose. Its way better than the Bose in my CTS-V or GMC truck. I would never buy a car with a base audio system.

Non Porsche dealers often miss features on these cars since sky is the limit with customization and some options arent readily apparent. Run the vin thru a decoder or see a dealer to get the build sheet. This will also give you a measure of the value of the car. You can spend 50K on options for these cars if you want, so an optioned out car should be different in price than a poverty build. You may have to pay for a newer car build sheet.

Porsche Build Sheets and Window Stickers by VIN | VIN Analytics
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 01:04 PM
Meinbeast
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2017 Panamera Turbo, CPO until 9/2025. Only one issue since taking delivery on 3/2023. I had the spoiler get stuck in the up position which was fixed under warranty. Otherwise a great dual personality car.

I'm thinking of selling it to make room for a 930 turbo. My car has a 198k sticker will all options except for carbon ceramic brakes and 18 way seats. Under 40k miles.

chassis (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 01:48 PM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Disagree

Originally Posted by djdonte
I have Bose which is really nice. I've never heard the Burmeister myself, but I've seen plenty of folks here say its not worth the 6K.
Since he's not buying new, the $6K cost differential is irrelevant.

My last 4 (non-GT) Porsches (two Panamera Turbo S's, 991.1 Turbo S, and 991.1 C4S) all had the Burmester as well as my Mercedes S63 AMG. I wouldn't buy a non-GT Porsche without the Burmester personally. The Bose may be adequate but the Burmester for my ears is definitely a must-have, especially in a car like a Panamera.
chassis (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 03:15 PM
Meinbeast
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by twk63
Since he's not buying new, the $6K cost differential is irrelevant.

My last 4 (non-GT) Porsches (two Panamera Turbo S's, 991.1 Turbo S, and 991.1 C4S) all had the Burmester as well as my Mercedes S63 AMG. I wouldn't buy a non-GT Porsche without the Burmester personally. The Bose may be adequate but the Burmester for my ears is definitely a must-have, especially in a car like a Panamera.

I have Bose in my Cayenne and Burmester in my Panamera, the Burmester in my opinion is worth looking for. The Cayenne Bose is a joke comparably, the power and the type of components used in the Burmester shine.
Old Today, 06:43 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

I have Burmeister in my 16S , meh, but then I’m a Lexus guy. My BMW is ok too.

Quick Reply: 2017 Panamera Turbo reliablility