Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Air suspension question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 01:32 PM
mrkim
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by huskeric
curious to hear of your continued exploits... as you noted and are learning, the process for setting suspension height is far from straightforward and simple. My left rear is still in need of some final adjustments, but fear doing this as it will - at least in my case - turn into another two-day journey. and in the end, be about the same as it currently is... this is surely not for the perfectionists out there!!!
Well thanks to my friend's Autel scanner, I was able to find out that the front left (driver) leveling is giving me some sort of short. I unplugged it from the sensor itself and from the shock itself. It seems that the actual leveling sensor is at fault. Already ordered a new one, just waiting for it to arrive. As of right now, the car is doing fine the message shows up at weird moments, but I think when I go over a bump by accident seeing my roads aren't as smooth anymore.

But will keep everyone updated on this little hopefully stays little adventure.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 10:29 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Good deal. These cars are near impossible to troubleshoot without a PIWIS or really good bidirectional scanner.
mrkim (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 12:41 AM
mrkim
Advanced

Originally Posted by djdonte
Good deal. These cars are near impossible to troubleshoot without a PIWIS or really good bidirectional scanner.
Yeah I agree, at first I thought my craftsman scanner would be able to help clear the oil reset message.. nope.
I don't want to keep borrowing my friend's or anyone else scanner so I may have to invest in getting one. Which is not bad of an investment honestly.
Old 06-07-2024, 06:51 AM
djdonte
Racer

A good Autel is about 500. The Porsche iCarsoft is about 300. I set up a PIWIS clone for about 500 but others have said they did it cheaper.
mrkim (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 09:59 AM
mrkim
Advanced

Originally Posted by djdonte
A good Autel is about 500. The Porsche iCarsoft is about 300. I set up a PIWIS clone for about 500 but others have said they did it cheaper.
Personally I would just get an Autel scanner, I'm more familiar with it. The whole PIWIS program, just reminds me when I had to get a Toyota/Lexus program called techstream it was a headache for me just setting it up and I'm not computer savvy. Plus Autel is pretty good when upgrading software, so I mean I can do a little side hustle with it.

Update on my suspension...

So while waiting for my new leveling sensor, I cleaned the joints on the linkages, and carefully sprayed some WD40 on to them, then pushed in the connection and the wires as much as I could. My thoughts were, the fault codes saying that there is a "short" may be due to the linkage not moving freely as before. Yesterday I drove around so far nothing, but will still replace it once the new sensor arrives just to be safe.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:02 AM
djdonte
Racer

Yes PIWIS is not user friendly or fast. I got it mostly so I could code PSE. Autel makes great stuff and could be used on other makes.
mrkim (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:07 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Autel is disparaged on this site for lack of transparency of required expensive subscriptions.

iCarsoft is a great tool, I use it for regular maintenance and diagnostics on my .1 9Y0 Cayenne S.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
dArtery (06-25-2024), mrkim (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:13 AM
mrkim
Advanced

Originally Posted by chassis
Autel is disparaged on this site for lack of transparency of required expensive subscriptions.

iCarsoft is a great tool, I use it for regular maintenance and diagnostics on my .1 9Y0 Cayenne S.
I can't say much on iCarsoft don't really know much people with that. Majority of my mechanic friends have Autel.. but I am curious about it. Like trying Japanese flan vs Mexican/Spanish flan... I'm willing to try.
Old 06-07-2024, 02:33 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis

Yes, one must be very careful when purchasing an Autel scanner as they don't mention the need for mandatory updates for some newer model vehicles. My Autel continues to work fine on my '15 PTS after the subscription expired, but need to be aware this may not be in all cases. Also, I do have a PIWIS 3, but find the Autel operating system to be much faster and easier to scan/clear codes.

The following 2 users liked this post by huskeric:
chassis (06-07-2024), mrkim (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 02:39 PM
mrkim
Advanced

Originally Posted by huskeric
Yes, one must be very careful when purchasing an Autel scanner as they don't mention the need for mandatory updates for some newer model vehicles. My Autel continues to work fine on my '15 PTS after the subscription expired, but need to be aware this may not be in all cases. Also, I do have a PIWIS 3, but find the Autel operating system to be much faster and easier to scan/clear codes.
IF you don't mind me asking, what model Autel scanner do you have?
Old 06-07-2024, 04:04 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

As a current owner of the Icarsoft POR 2 and POR 3 with current updates, neither has the ability to flush ABS brakes on either a 991.1 or 971 even though the literature says it will. I would avoid the brand.
mrkim (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 05:47 PM
mrkim
Advanced

Originally Posted by H2Owon
As a current owner of the Icarsoft POR 2 and POR 3 with current updates, neither has the ability to flush ABS brakes on either a 991.1 or 971 even though the literature says it will. I would avoid the brand.
Oh wow 😳, I was looking through my buddy's Autel scanner looks like it has those capabilities.
Old 06-07-2024, 05:57 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

The iCarsoft has the flush ABS function displayed as available, it just doesn't work. It gives you an error something like "this function is not available" when you try to use it. Gave the same error on both cars. The learning here is that you get what you pay for.
mrkim (06-07-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 12:24 PM
dArtery
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same model. I replaced the front struts, compressor and valve module. Still low. Chassis system failure. I do not know what else. Can you suggest a diag software.
-Mark
Old 06-11-2024, 12:28 PM
mrkim
Advanced

Originally Posted by dArtery
I have the same model. I replaced the front struts, compressor and valve module. Still low. Chassis system failure. I do not know what else. Can you suggest a diag software.
-Mark
I would say check your leveling sensors... In the Autel scanner it can tell you which is acting up.
dArtery (06-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Air suspension question...