Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

971 ST suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 06:31 AM
Cmj003
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 971 ST suspension

Hi. I have handling issues. Car is very bouncy. I suspect it’s due to the recall on the. suspension. However everything is working as it should and confirmed no leaks etc. I have recently driven newer cars and whilst they move about the suspension is a lot flatter and doesn’t have as much lean in the corners. I thought one of the benefits of air suspension is that it doesn’t age. It either works or it doesn’t. Before I start replacing things anyone else have any experience of this and how it was resolved ? Many thanks.

2017 65000 miles e hybrid

Last edited by Cmj003; 05-27-2024 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:17 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 386 Posts

Probably not suspension but more likely a tire or tire pressure or alignment. I would start changing tire pressure, then have shop check alignment and while in shop look over the suspension.

May also consider changing tire if not new or change to summer tire vs all season
Old 05-29-2024, 04:17 AM
Cmj003
AutoX

Hi. Tires are Pirellis all round and tried manufacture spec and slightly less in terms of air pressure. It’s suspension related. You can see and feel the car moving up and down. I suspect it’s the suspension recoil is not as stiff as it should be. Sport mode will make the suspension harder but doesn’t take away the bounce. Is there any other components that could be causing this ? Electric sway bars etc ? Don’t want to start replacing air shocks if they alll appear to be in good order with no obvious faults.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:45 AM
weberlukas74
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Worn or damaged control arms and bushings can affect the stability and handling of your car.
If the suspension struts or their mounts are worn or damaged, they may not provide the necessary support and damping, causing a bouncy ride.
Also, the suspension linkage, including sway bars and end links, helps keep your car stable when turning corners by controlling how much it leans. If any of these parts are old or broken, they could be causing the problems you're having.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:43 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by weberlukas74
Worn or damaged control arms and bushings can affect the stability and handling of your car.
If the suspension struts or their mounts are worn or damaged, they may not provide the necessary support and damping, causing a bouncy ride.
Also, the suspension linkage, including sway bars and end links, helps keep your car stable when turning corners by controlling how much it leans. If any of these parts are old or broken, they could be causing the problems you're having.
Well said. With 65k miles, the bushings are on their last legs. Also, if the swaybar links are broken, the turn will not be as flat, and/or feels wobbly/loose. I recently replaced my daughter’s car that had 4 broken swaybar links. I felt the car was off, it’s not tight when I make a turn, or simply driving on the road. Found out they were all broken when I swapped the winter tires out for summer tires. Once the links were replaced, it drives like a new car again. Turns are tight and flat.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:53 AM
Cmj003
AutoX

Thanks all. I have owned the car for almost 2 years and it’s been like this from the start. Everyone who looks at it concludes the air suspension must be fine as there are no errors or codes and everything is working as it should.

In a renewed quest to get to the bottom of things I have noticed if I lift the car and then lower again everything is significantly stiffer with less bounce. I assume this is because there js more pressure in the system following the increase in height. I think this is worth a further explore.

Acknowledge point regarding potentially worn suspension parts and will get them specially looked at / replaced also. Car is under warranty and has just had 60K service so suspect anything obvious would have been flagged. Any other suggestions welcomed.
Old 06-05-2024, 02:08 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Crawl under the car with a pry bar and see if the rubber control arm bushings in the front suspension (4 of them) are worn or torn. Use a bright LED flashlight to help look closely at the bushings.

Quick Reply: 971 ST suspension