Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

OPF removal on Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 05:33 AM
Mikheev
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPF removal on Panamera?

I have a 2022 turbo s e-hybrid (European version) and the car has no sound at all. I didn’t want to modify the exhaust system, so I bought the Cargraphic valve control units, which improved the situation slightly.

So I wonder has anyone taken the OPF out from the 4.0 Panamera?
Old 05-12-2024, 10:24 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Whats the OPF? in the US the GTS and Turbo come with PSE standard. I coded mine but I see you have the valve controller.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:28 AM
NickF
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

OPF is more commonly known as GPF (gas particulate filter) which EU cars are blessed with and steal a lot of the sound.

I can’t see how you can get rid of the GPF and not modify the exhaust system? If i were you I’d keep the GPF and fit the Porsche Sports Exhaust. My 23 Turbo S has GPF and PSE and sounds amazing.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:41 AM
djdonte
Racer

You've gone nearly as far as you can without modification. If you've got a controller for your muffler valves, the only things setting your car apart from the real PSE, are the valved H pipe in place of your middle resonator, and the "pulse generator" on your firewall. I supposed you could install the fake noise speaker without cutting your exhaust up, but its pricey and involves a lot of disassembly, de-pinning connectors and coding. All I did was code the PSE so I can keep the valves open but it's not significantly louder.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:02 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi All,

I am in the UK too. Have a 2020 4.0 Turbo S E Hybrid with the exhaust selection on the PCM etc. when idling and driving, switching it on off doesn't appear change the sound I can hear even with window open.
Does it normally make a big difference on and off?
Old 05-13-2024, 10:08 AM
djdonte
Racer

It should be a noticeable change, even at idle with the windows down. I had the same issue where I could no longer hear a difference or see the valves move when pressing the PCM button. Hard resetting the PCM fixed it. Hold down the volume **** until the screen goes black and it says Porsche again. You could also try resetting it in the settings menu but you will lose all your presets and connected devices I think.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

great stuff, will try it. Its under Porsche warranty too so any issues, in it goes. Did the valves fully open / close at idle with PCM button?
Old 05-13-2024, 10:16 AM
NickF
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The 971.2 PSE is a huge improvement over the 971.1 both at idle and under load. I’ve had both and the earlier one was very disappointing but the new one is epic!
Old 05-13-2024, 10:18 AM
djdonte
Racer

Yes. Here is how it works. At cold start they open no matter what. If at any time you have sport mode on, it activates PSE and the idle raises slightly and the valves stay open so you will surely hear it. If sport mode AND PSE are off, once the car warms up, the valves stay closed until you hit the throttle like a normal non PSE car.
So once the car gets past that initial warm up stage and the idle creeps back down the valves should respond to the PSE button and you will hear it. My car will never remember PSE being on nor Sport mode nor *** when I come back to a parked car, but it will only remember the suspension settings. Pretty annoying if you ask me. Coding out the *** helps though.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:18 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Mine doesn't sound any different on or off
Old 05-13-2024, 10:19 AM
djdonte
Racer

Originally Posted by NickF
The 971.2 PSE is a huge improvement over the 971.1 both at idle and under load. I’ve had both and the earlier one was very disappointing but the new one is epic!
I agree, my fake coded PSE is not that great, but I can hear a difference for sure, so OP should hear something at least with the whole PSE package installed.

Quick Reply: OPF removal on Panamera?