Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Upcoming projects - 15 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 05:47 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Upcoming projects - 15 Turbo S

So, here is a list of upcoming self-performed performance/convenience/aesthetic projects for my '15 Turbo S over the next month(s):
  • install FVD diverter valves
  • install Soler performance 82mm throttle body
  • install Sprint Booster - even w/the ECU tune, throttle response is lacking
  • install OEM underhood lights and dual hood cable pull - using OEM pieces from 2010 Panny, Cayenne and RHD Panamera - I can over-engineer with the best of 'em
  • install the freshly painted OEM sport design rear bumper diffuser (valance)
Once finished with those, will then move onto the suspension. I have a number of noises, clunks, rumbles, etc... so, rather than chasing individual components, I strongly believe in the 'one and done' philosophy and just replace the normal wear items. Sure, some parts surely have wear remaining, but prefer to do this once... much more efficient from my perspective and my labor is free. Also, the parts are really not any more expensive than any other car, so cost is also not an issue... all OEM parts were purchased from Sunset Porsche and they have great discounts.
* install poly bushings in UCA, LCA, rack, rear susp control arms (6) - car only has 49K miles, so the ball joints are fine - just need bushings - ordered the purple bushings from Poland and they look amazing
  • install poly swaybar bushings - these came from Ukraine and appear small, so will have to see how they fit
  • overhaul front air susp with new o-rings, bellows, etc - no leaks, but trying to get ahead of issues
  • install overhauled air compressor - new pistons, seals, etc... also, updating the noisy and worn rubber bushings
  • install new air susp valve block
  • install tie rod - inners/outers
  • install new PDCC reservoir/new fluid
  • install new PCCB pads - cheap preventive maintenance @ $1K - new rotors costs north of $5k each
  • all new tires - stock Michelin Sports
  • and lastly, an alignment at a friend's shop
During this mess, I will also be installing sound deadening/foam on the inner fender liners (front and rear), as well as cleaning up the undercarriage.

And, if I ever get all that done, will then explore the water/meth experiment and audio upgrades (DSP, speakers, sub, etc)
It will be a busy summer... ..

Last edited by huskeric; 05-07-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:45 PM
BuddyIronwood
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love some write ups on the maintenance stuff that doesn't already have decent writeups here.

I plan on taking the same approach to my suspension this summer on my 2011. but haven't ever replaced a bushing before. just the components.

what kind of sound deading foam are you thinking of using?

Looking forward to following this.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:01 AM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyIronwood
Would love some write ups on the maintenance stuff that doesn't already have decent writeups here.

I plan on taking the same approach to my suspension this summer on my 2011. but haven't ever replaced a bushing before. just the components.

what kind of sound deading foam are you thinking of using?

Looking forward to following this.
There are a number of components (e.g. rear 6 upper control arms, rear lower control arms) that do not have a ball joint, so bushing replacement is attractive if one has the tools. Also, the front end control arms are also in great shape, with just the bushings being spent, so for me, also advisable to only replace the bushings. I was able to source all the poly bushings from a place in Poland - Turbo Works. In total, all 28 poly bushings cost around $800, plus shipping. Again, I want to do this once and be done.
https://turboworks.pl/eng_m_Suspensi...ra-423523.html

As for the sound deadening, have already been experimenting with different types of foam, thermal insulation, dynamat, etc. Just need to find the right combination for the plastic inner liners as I am also not trying to add too much weight to them. For those that have used Dynamat, you know what I am talking about... but, I think I located a solution that uses closed cell foam/neoprene that is both durable and light weight.

In summary, I will be testing various materials and capturing real data using a decibel meter while driving. Perhaps not as sophisticated as the Porsche NVH teams, but anything is better than all the tire/road noise I currently hear.

stay tuned...

Last edited by huskeric; 05-08-2024 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cboxell (05-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Upcoming projects - 15 Turbo S