Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Strange electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 01:51 PM
talleng2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Strange electrical issue

My2018 Panamera 4S has been in the garage all winter. I always put an AGM battery minder on it. I went to take the car out today and noticed the battery minder was showing a load from somewhere and the battery was only at ~75% charged. The last time I looked, maybe 3 weeks ago, it was fully charged with no load. While driving, I noticed the charge rate jumping around. Normally it always held pretty steady at 14.5V. Today it is swinging from 12.1V to 15V. It is rather rapid and erratic. It doesn't seem to coincide with engine speed.

Has anybody else seen this happen?
Old 03-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be battery on its way out
The following 2 users liked this post by Thebig1:
MKC91 (03-18-2024), talleng2 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:01 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by talleng2
.... While driving, I noticed the charge rate jumping around. Normally it always held pretty steady at 14.5V. Today it is swinging from 12.1V to 15V. It is rather rapid and erratic. ...
(bold emphasis above is mine)

I was ready to suggest you consider that the battery charger may be going bad when looking at erratic charge rates, but I re-read and saw you said specifically in-car charge rates.

"Rapid and erratic" voltage swings sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me.

It could be actual bad voltages, and you may be able to diagnose this if you have PIWIS - you'll likely have history codes stored for voltage or communication faults in various ECUs. (Note you may have these history codes even without warning lights).

Or it could be bad voltage sensing.

Start at the easy and obvious places (battery cables, alternator) and then move to other troubleshooting.
The following users liked this post:
talleng2 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:29 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

My2018 Panamera 4S has been in the garage all winter. I always put an AGM battery minder on it. I went to take the car out today and noticed the battery minder was showing a load from somewhere and the battery was only at ~75% charged. The last time I looked, maybe 3 weeks ago, it was fully charged with no load. While driving, I noticed the charge rate jumping around. Normally it always held pretty steady at 14.5V. Today it is swinging from 12.1V to 15V. It is rather rapid and erratic. It doesn't seem to coincide with engine speed.

Has anybody else seen this happen?
I wouldn't rush to change anything or find a fault with the car just yet. We have a 2019 Base and have been running a Schumacher 15A charger/maintainer on it for almost 4 years now, since it has only been driven about 3.5 K miles a year.

Drive it normally, then park it and check the voltage at the battery terminals about 1 hour after shut down and then the next morning.

I also get occasional wild swings on battery voltage on both the 2019 Pana and the 2023 Cayenne, between the ranges you mentioned, and not engine RPM proportional as you noted.

Maybe someone had turned on the ignition or left the interior lights on or something when you were recommissioning it. The Schumacher's % charge value in my mind is not accurate. I have seen it go from 80% to 99% in 30 minutes, and 20% of a 150 amp hour battery ( = 30 amp hours) can't be supplied by a 15 amp charger in 30 minutes. That would take a 60 amp feed for 30 minutes to accomplish.

talleng2 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 03:33 PM
talleng2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After several more on/off cycles, it seemed to settle down. It will be going in for service in the next month or two, so I may have them run the codes.
Thank you, everybody.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:45 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

There is a charging algorithm in the car (hence it needs to know when one replaces with a new battery). The algorithm senses that the battery is low, then it allows higher throughput (>14V) to the battery. If it sees the battery is full, it limits the throughput and you see around 12.5V going through. I see the voltage goes erratically often when the battery is in low charge, ie resting state at below 12.5V. I won’t be too concern. I have a 2018 also with original battery.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:30 PM
Anchor2018
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After several more on/off cycles, it seemed to settle down. It will be going in for service in the next month or two, so I may have them run the codes.
Thank you, everybody.
I also had a similar situation when driving to northern Wisconsin for vacation. Except before I arrived, I had transmission error codes which I have learned it is probably the battery. But I had just replaced my original 2018 battery in Jan. I went to O’ Reileys and they said that I have a bad battery and that the alternator tested fine. I replaced the battery and I had the same issues driving 5 hours home. But this time, I did not have any devices plugged in that could additional strain on the battery. I am going to mechanic this week to have him look at the alternator and sensors for the diagnostics. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:32 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Anchor2018
I also had a similar situation when driving to northern Wisconsin for vacation. Except before I arrived, I had transmission error codes which I have learned it is probably the battery. But I had just replaced my original 2018 battery in Jan. I went to O’ Reileys and they said that I have a bad battery and that the alternator tested fine. I replaced the battery and I had the same issues driving 5 hours home. But this time, I did not have any devices plugged in that could additional strain on the battery. I am going to mechanic this week to have him look at the alternator and sensors for the diagnostics. I will let you know what I find out.
Did you code the battery?
Anchor2018 (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 07:37 PM
Anchor2018
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Shuga
Did you code the battery?
Yes, I did and I bought a battery charger, charged it to full. And had them check the codes again. After a 20min drive it was drained to 12.9. So I went with the easy steps to get back home and bought a new battery which was still under warrenty. 😁
Old 07-16-2024, 10:23 AM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

as noted within one of the above posts, it is normal for varying voltages, specifically in non-sport mode. These cars have 'smart charging alternators' that determine the voltage load required and manages as such. I also replaced my battery, coded properly, and still witness the same activity, yet all is fine with the battery, alt, connections, etc. When I switch to sport mode, the volts immediately rise to 14+ to compensate for more electrical requirements, but then go back down once out of sport mode.
Old 07-16-2024, 01:11 PM
Anchor2018
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by huskeric
as noted within one of the above posts, it is normal for varying voltages, specifically in non-sport mode. These cars have 'smart charging alternators' that determine the voltage load required and manages as such. I also replaced my battery, coded properly, and still witness the same activity, yet all is fine with the battery, alt, connections, etc. When I switch to sport mode, the volts immediately rise to 14+ to compensate for more electrical requirements, but then go back down once out of sport mode.
Thank you for the information. I was concerned when the "transmission error" you can no longer reverse (which I couldn't) came on. That was before I replaced the battery. Also, we had 3 devices plugged in and traveled for 5 hours, could that drain the system? It was also a 85 plus day out too.
Old 07-16-2024, 01:39 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Anchor2018
Thank you for the information. I was concerned when the "transmission error" you can no longer reverse (which I couldn't) came on. That was before I replaced the battery. Also, we had 3 devices plugged in and traveled for 5 hours, could that drain the system? It was also a 85 plus day out too.
No, you should be able to charge your phones on a 85 degree day without getting a transmission error. The longer you drive the more your alt should recharge your battery

Quick Reply: Strange electrical issue