Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

PCM in 2022 vs. 2021-Key Differences if Any?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 10:06 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts
Default PCM in 2022 vs. 2021-Key Differences if Any?

I'm seeking a used Panamera ST and currently own a 2017 Cayenne S along with a couple of 982 cars. So, safe to classify me as 'old tech' guy, but most importantly both of those platforms work well and give me all the flexibility I need. And while both have ACP, I rarely plug my phone in to use ACP--unless it will be an extended trip.

In seeing a couple of Panameras, I think I have the correct understanding that 2021 and older cars don't have the latest software running on the PCM. The colored Icons and (maybe) more configurable PCM are what I've observed on 2022 and 2023 cars.

Are there some in the forum who have had both the 2017-2021 car and now a 2022/2023? If so, what are the key differentiators (if any) you have experienced? And is there any merit to the thought that a 2021 car is the 'sweet spot' because the PCM had the benefit of several years of development?

My concern is that I won't enjoy the ST because of the feel of a 'needlessly complicated' interface that spoils a great experience. I'm aware of the PCM-controlled center vent...but I'm believing that I'll adjust it once, program it to my key--and NEVER adjust it again.

Thank you for sharing some experience / guidance.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:09 AM
NickF
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a 2019 Turbo ST and now have a 2023 Turbo S ST. The PCM is a big improvement in the new car, it makes the whole interior feel more modern. Car Play is now full screen, you can use the My Porsche app in car play to control some car settings (bit useless but cool). The user interface is completely different, it has a section where you access all common things like climate, then the big old Home Screen where you get into less frequently used things. It’s hard to describe but it genuinely lifts the interior. I had no idea it would be any different until i picked the car up as reviews of the 971.2 had the old interface. I was delighted! Don’t get me wrong, it wouldn’t make me choose the car over an older one but it is definitely a nice to have. The full screen car play is the most useful change but you don’t use car play so…
Old 02-13-2024, 11:11 AM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by NickF
I had a 2019 Turbo ST and now have a 2023 Turbo S ST. The PCM is a big improvement in the new car, it makes the whole interior feel more modern. Car Play is now full screen, you can use the My Porsche app in car play to control some car settings (bit useless but cool). The user interface is completely different, it has a section where you access all common things like climate, then the big old Home Screen where you get into less frequently used things. It’s hard to describe but it genuinely lifts the interior. I had no idea it would be any different until i picked the car up as reviews of the 971.2 had the old interface. I was delighted! Don’t get me wrong, it wouldn’t make me choose the car over an older one but it is definitely a nice to have. The full screen car play is the most useful change but you don’t use car play so…
Thank you, @NickF . And there are times I use (and like) ACP, it's just not with every drive and certainly not during my short local stuff. Good points about a superior Home Screen. Having flexibility to really tailor that set-up to me is a good point--as I know I'd much prefer not digging through submenus for settings I use frequently.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:11 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NickF

The full screen carplay you can program it yourself. The only thing I do miss is the porsche app where you can remote lock. Everything else, I feel that Porsche went backward, cause all they did was put a bunch of icon into a menu. It isn't that much better and it was harder to find stuff.

But it isn't a huge different.

You can retrofit a co pilot screen soon on the 971.1 so wait for that

Quick Reply: PCM in 2022 vs. 2021-Key Differences if Any?