2013 Panamera GTS - Sport Mode fault and Transmission fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 07:03 PM
michaelalex3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Panamera GTS - Sport Mode fault and Transmission fault

Hi everyone,
I bought a 2013 Panamera GTS with 84k miles a few months ago. A couple weeks ago I was driving on the highway in sport mode and gave it a little gas. The car freaked out a bit, gave some kind of sport mode fault and I believe a transmission fault. For the rest of the drive, upshifts were laborious, and caused quite a bit of jerking. It kind of felt like it was letting out the clutch but not giving it any gas, causing an engine braking-like sensation. I parked it at my destination for a few hours, then drove it back home gingerly without issue. No faults/errors stuck around, and it seemed to shift fine. I just took it out again today, and it's the same story, no problems. I didn't really get into it yet, but I did drive a little in sport mode once it was up to temp and didn't have any problems.

It's hard to find a shop local to me that seems to be very well equipped to handle these cars (Raleigh, NC). I talked to a shop I'm planning to have some other work done at, and he mentioned it could've been a glitch and to see if it happens again. This wouldn't be the first time I've had a German car do something like this to me and it end up being fine, but given the cost of a PDK transmission, I'd like to be careful.

Any ideas what the cause could be? I did quite a bit of searching but had very little luck. My best guess is either a clutch pack (ugh) or maybe it just needs some kind of calibration (in which case I need to find someone who can do this). The car isn't perfectly smooth when driving normally, but any slight jerkiness I always chalked up to just being a DCT. Any input is appreciated!
Old 01-03-2024, 07:15 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelalex3
Hi everyone,
I bought a 2013 Panamera GTS with 84k miles a few months ago. A couple weeks ago I was driving on the highway in sport mode and gave it a little gas. The car freaked out a bit, gave some kind of sport mode fault and I believe a transmission fault. For the rest of the drive, upshifts were laborious, and caused quite a bit of jerking. It kind of felt like it was letting out the clutch but not giving it any gas, causing an engine braking-like sensation. I parked it at my destination for a few hours, then drove it back home gingerly without issue. No faults/errors stuck around, and it seemed to shift fine. I just took it out again today, and it's the same story, no problems. I didn't really get into it yet, but I did drive a little in sport mode once it was up to temp and didn't have any problems.

It's hard to find a shop local to me that seems to be very well equipped to handle these cars (Raleigh, NC). I talked to a shop I'm planning to have some other work done at, and he mentioned it could've been a glitch and to see if it happens again. This wouldn't be the first time I've had a German car do something like this to me and it end up being fine, but given the cost of a PDK transmission, I'd like to be careful.

Any ideas what the cause could be? I did quite a bit of searching but had very little luck. My best guess is either a clutch pack (ugh) or maybe it just needs some kind of calibration (in which case I need to find someone who can do this). The car isn't perfectly smooth when driving normally, but any slight jerkiness I always chalked up to just being a DCT. Any input is appreciated!
Have you seen the very simple PDK reset instructions somewhere around here? They are almost unbelievable but many people have reported success.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:42 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you information about pdk drain on your history invoice
Old 01-04-2024, 09:27 AM
michaelalex3
Track Day

Originally Posted by orca15
Have you seen the very simple PDK reset instructions somewhere around here? They are almost unbelievable but many people have reported success.
I agree, it does look a bit unbelievable lol. I did some more searching and it does indeed seem to be real. I'll give it a try next week and see if I notice a difference, thanks!

Originally Posted by Marcus13190
Have you information about pdk drain on your history invoice
​​​​​​​
Not from previous owners, but I had one done a few hundred miles ago, right after I bought the car.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:25 PM
michaelalex3
Track Day

Got the car back from the shop today and wanted to post an update for anyone who may search for this same issue later. There were no codes to indicate a PDK issue, but there was a code for a misfire. It appears that's what likely caused the issue. To address this I'm going to do coils when I have the spark plugs done, which will probably be soon. Thankfully it seems the PDK is fine!
Old 01-10-2024, 11:50 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 275 Posts

Hey there, I'm in Raleigh as well. Just curious as to which shop you took it to?
Old 01-10-2024, 12:23 PM
michaelalex3
Track Day

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
Hey there, I'm in Raleigh as well. Just curious as to which shop you took it to?
I went to European Performance. They were very upfront about not having full diagnostic/calibration capabilities on the PDK, but were able to read enough codes to figure out that it wasn't a major PDK issue and was probably from the misfire. Overall I was really happy with my experience, and I'll be going there as my default shop in the future. I had been going to BFI (I guess they're BFT now?), but over the last couple years I have not been super impressed with them.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:01 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelalex3
I went to European Performance. They were very upfront about not having full diagnostic/calibration capabilities on the PDK, but were able to read enough codes to figure out that it wasn't a major PDK issue and was probably from the misfire. Overall I was really happy with my experience, and I'll be going there as my default shop in the future. I had been going to BFI (I guess they're BFT now?), but over the last couple years I have not been super impressed with them.
My father in law has his Porsches serviced there, seem to be good people! They don’t have PIWIS then I assume? That must be why he asks me to look into random things on my PIWIS!!

Quick Reply: 2013 Panamera GTS - Sport Mode fault and Transmission fault