Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera Surround View misalignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 09:37 PM
rwang2000
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Panamera Surround View misalignment

Hey all. I have a 2014 Panamera Turbo. The car just came back from a body repair due to an accident and the left front side is where the crash happened.
When the car first came back, the two parking guidelines disappeared and I couldn't turn them back on using the PCM. I also noticed that the image doesn't really align with the reality: when I pack right parallel to both lines on the ground, image of left side indicates that the left parking line isn't parallel to me.
Dealer inspected it and told me that a calibration is needed. They performed the calibration with a special tool and I thought this can solve both problems. However, after a few days I noticed that the misalignment issue still exist. Here is a picture I took today. The parking box is a perfect rectangle and apparently the image doesn't reflect the reality, especially on the left.

As a matter of fact, when I sent the car back for calibration, I explicitly mentioned the misalignment issue I witnessed. They claimed that they didn't find it distorted or misaligned when they handed back the vehicle. Now I am wondering whether this is normal, or are they just fooling me?

Last edited by rwang2000; 12-13-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:55 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

Mine looks much better/straighter than that. If that's your question.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:18 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

The ADAS calibration is fairly complex and easy to screw up. The calibration itself is fairly automated, but you need a perfectly level and square surface to work on and the laser targets must be placed precisely in order to establish accurate starting points. Otherwise you calibrate to the wrong points. The computer will tell you everything is fine, and it is relative to the wrong points you calibrated against, but will look screwed up in operation.

Educated guess, you got a bad calibration due to misplaced targets or an unlevel work surface.
The following users liked this post:
rwang2000 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 06:00 PM
rwang2000
Track Day

Yeah that sounds reasonable to me. To bring back the parking guidelines, they told me a special tool is needed. It turned out to be a huge pad that needs to be laid on the floor. I am guessing it is exactly what you are talking about that they made a mistake during the process. I contacted the dealership and we will see what they say.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:19 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by rwang2000
Yeah that sounds reasonable to me. To bring back the parking guidelines, they told me a special tool is needed. It turned out to be a huge pad that needs to be laid on the floor. I am guessing it is exactly what you are talking about that they made a mistake during the process. I contacted the dealership and we will see what they say.

Exactly! The large pad is a target that the calibration machines shoot lasers at to determine the calibration points. The various cameras are then adjusted relative to those points. Put the large mat in the wrong location and it will be all screwed up despite the system telling you everything is OK.

Making matters worse, nearly ever car manufacturer uses a different set of targets. When you buy an ADAS system, it takes two or three pallets worth of targets to be complete. Not so bad if you are a single make dealer, but for a body shop working on everything its a major investment in capital, space, and training.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:50 PM
rwang2000
Track Day

Thumbs up

As a matter of fact, dealership need to enter a special rental program to get the tool: I was told that Surround view on 970.2 Turbo is a rare option and for that reason few of these tools are available in the US.
Dealership hasn't responded but I guess I need to ask them to perform it again despite the fact that they need to get the tool from the program again...

Quick Reply: Panamera Surround View misalignment