Old 11-13-2023, 12:14 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Steering wheel and weissach paddles UPGRADE GUIDE

Hello.

I made some guides to help people or technicians disassemble the steering wheels on the latest generation and upgrade either the Weissach magnetic paddles or the carbon fiber trim or move all the components to a new core.This guides will make it easy for anyone from DIY to dealers or tehnicians to they are know exactly what they doing

1. To Upgrade to a Carbon Fiber Trim Cover

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button; only unscrew a bit until it becomes loose but don't remove, just so the cover frame can be removed.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Install the new carbon cover frame and install back in reverse steps 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
8. Done

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 35min

2. To Upgrade to a New Steering Wheel Core. Example: Race-Tex Core + Carbon Fiber Trim Upgrade

1. Take the steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Remove the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Remove control buttons' small screws from the backside.
8. Remove the small back screw on the backside of the steering wheel that is holding the control unit module.
9. Remove the 4 big screws from the metal contact plate, unplug the little horn wire from it and take the plate out.
10. Remove the small U metal shape from the 4 columns.
11. Remove the 4 screws from the 2 metal brackets that are holding the controls/buttons.
12. Unplug the controls/buttons from the brackets, remove the brackets from the steering wheel.
13. Unplug the control unit from the center of the steering wheel.
14. Take the complete electric kit out now, buttons+control unit+harness+chrono buttons, NO NEED to unplug any wires etc., just take it as it is and put it on the table.
15. Now the steering wheel is empty but we still have to move the airbag 4 plastic parts. For this, please mark a stripe with a colored marker at 12 o'clock on every one of the four plastic brackets. I guess this is the trickiest part of the job. Use a tubular key or just a good pair of pliers to hold the black plastic cover in place, and on the backside of the steering wheel, you will see they are held in with torx screws. ATTENTION: screw to the RIGHT side to unscrew them. ATTENTION: Remove 1 by 1 and install on the new steering wheel so it's easier and faster so we don't lose or forget positions.
16. Now you need to install the black plastic brackets to the new steering wheel. For this, we will hold them as they were on the old steering wheel, and we will pay attention to the 12 o'clock marker we painted on them and install them on the same exact spots they were before and all with the marker in the same position.
17. Now here's a TIP to not waste any time. Take the metal contact plate we took out at step 9 and test it on the black plastic brackets. It has to slide up and down on them. Tweak them left or right if needed and then screw them tight.
18. Move the fabrics that are glued to the old steering wheel to the new one. You will find many all over the steering wheel; those help the cover frames clip one to another. Not really important but best to move those also.
19. Now it's all done, and you can reverse install 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
20. Job done.

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 50-70min

3. To Upgrade the Paddle Shifters to WEISSACH Magnetic Paddles

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Remove the 2 screws holding the paddle shifters from the backside of the steering wheel.
3. Remove paddle shifters connectors.
4. Before installing the new Weissach magnetic paddles MAKE SURE you have the rubber o-rings installed on them; if not, just move them from the old paddles. These are important as they don't permit the paddles to wobble and distort the click sound.
5. Plug the connectors back to the paddles; wire harness may seem short but they fit ok. Install paddles on both sides.
6. Screw back the screws on the paddles tight.
7. Install back on the car.
8. Job Done.

Badges on the frames can be replaced also as the center part of the cover frames.Use a small dremel or tool to grind the plastic solders and glue back in with a good fast 2-part glue.

A video guide i found to replace the paddles

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 20min
```
Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2023, 05:02 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 260 Posts

Classy result !
Old 01-25-2024, 01:05 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Check our big steering wheel collection 40+versions that can be sent plug and play checked on VIN.Last price drop on weissach magnetic paddles,get them now for only 600e(weekly restock)
For any steering wheel related issues give us a message or email,we are happy to help out!
Attached Images    
Old 01-26-2024, 11:43 AM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Could the weissach paddles be made to work in a 970 turbo ?
Old 01-26-2024, 12:23 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr Tee
Could the weissach paddles be made to work in a 970 turbo ?

maybe on this model with some modifications made,design is similar on old and new paddles.Im thinking of back plastic cover that is different and one having circle and one having a recyangular shape at the point end where it sits.Electronic button from paddles should work on all series,no chipsets.

The following users liked this post:
Mr Tee (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 12:26 PM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

That’s a 970 with a later wheel so it might just be feasible .
Old 01-26-2024, 12:52 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That’s a 970 with a later wheel so it might just be feasible .
tbh i always wanted to test on these 991/970 steering wheels but never have them both on stock to test outwe have a paddle set for tests possible we will do this soon after we find a 991 wheel.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:00 PM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

Oh man they look great too , I have the early buttons for changing gear which I’ve always hated .
Old 04-15-2024, 12:01 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We can supply any steering wheel component or custom jobs
Also
complete carbon fiber frames now,magnetic paddles,racetex airbag covers etc
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Mr Tee (04-15-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 01:56 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

New + - version for the weissach magnetic paddles (specify when ordering please)
we vectorised and made the exact same shape and dimension so the oe look is not lost
New badge designs coming next month that will cover all possible versions
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2024, 10:41 AM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I converted my 970TT to a 971 style wheel,(out of a Macan actually) and have the stock 971 paddles.They are much better than the 970 buttons for sure! My only gripe is the way I did it the sport chrono **** on the Macan wheels does not change the drive modes. I also got a wheel with the buttons from a hybrid, as the buttons have an H on them. The wheel is from a MAcan Turbo E-Hybrid. So adding these paddles to it would be a snap. Hmmm…
Old 04-21-2024, 11:48 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
I converted my 970TT to a 971 style wheel,(out of a Macan actually) and have the stock 971 paddles.They are much better than the 970 buttons for sure! My only gripe is the way I did it the sport chrono **** on the Macan wheels does not change the drive modes. I also got a wheel with the buttons from a hybrid, as the buttons have an H on them. The wheel is from a MAcan Turbo E-Hybrid. So adding these paddles to it would be a snap. Hmmm…

i dont think it would be possible without a lot of modifications in both metal and plastic of the steering wheel to add these weissach magnetic ones to 971
Old 04-21-2024, 12:45 PM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

Where about in the EU are you based ? Please say Scotland
Old 04-21-2024, 01:32 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor