Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2010 4S rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 05:48 PM
a65l
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2010 4S rear differential

So, bad news from the shop today.. the sound I had hoped was tire/road noise is actually the input pinion bearing on the rear differential. I'm looking at the build sheet for my car, by VIN, and I don't see an option listed for locking differential, but i'm not sure that wasn't standard equipment. Seems to be alot more non-locking diffs out there than locking, so i'm guessing it wasn't a common option. Probablly not really required on a 400 hp car with AWD anyway. Anyhoo. I see there's a visual difference between the locker and non-locker, but I haven't been to the shop to lay eyes on it and the're closed already. I'd like to get parts coming today, as there doesn't seem to be anyone locally who cares to try their hand at rebuilding a Porsche diff.

So.. was it standard equipment? And if not, it would be listed as an option on the buld sheet... and it's not. NO button on the dash to manually lock, but I don't think that was offered in the Panamera.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:30 PM
a65l
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So, quick answer to my own question. Porsche shows that particular part number as being on backorder with no ETA. I ordered a used unit out of a 76000 mile Panamera 4 (not S) off Ebay. Part numbers are the same for all engines, and actually the same for non and AWD versions, so shouldn't be any issue with compatibility. 60 day warranty. I'll have the shop replace the axle seals, I'd like to do the Pinion seal as well but can't seem to find any instructions on how to remove it, or a torque value for the nut. Probablly critical to get that TQ correct to maintain the correct preload on the pinion bearing. So, hopefully have it in a few days and then whenever the shop can schedule me in to get it replaced. I should think about doing it myself, it's not a huge job but does require an alignment if it's done by the book.

Oh, and by VIN, car is not a locker.

Quick Reply: 2010 4S rear differential