Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe GTS vs Panamera GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 01:07 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe GTS vs Panamera GTS questions

Hey from the EU with noise limitations and anti V8 laws! (TLDR at bottom)

I posted this over in the Cayenne section but figured I'd also try my luck here for a different POV.

I ordered/own a new E53 Coupe, only for about 6 months, and I love it, it's fun/engaging/engine sounds pretty damn good for a V6... but our lives have changed rather drastically in the last 18 months since I place the order. Think baby plus a dog, and while my wife has a sufficient car for day to day hauling, we wanted a more capable car to invite glorious drives and trips.... but still maintain something I can solo have fun with as I do like spirited driving. Canyon carving, if you will... but we have no canyons so I make do with hills.

Naturally this leads me to the Panamera GTS Sport Turismo but the Cayenne Coupe's rear view hits me in the right way plus does make a lot more sense for WHEN we want to take the dog (it won't be often and he can fit in the Panamera) or a 2,000 km trip.

Question 1: When you have PDCC, PASM, and real axle steering, does anyone enjoy fun night drives solo with their Cayenne or is that just not it in comparison to a Panamera? <--- same question for Panamera GTS folks but I know you guys have no issue having fun with this car from browsing the forum ;D

Question 2: What would be your maximum mileage for a used GTS for either car? I'm trying to keep it as 'new' as possible so I'm just looking under 25k km or so but there is a 33k km pretty well spec'd Cayenne available at a great price even if it's under budget. <--- Same question for Panamera drivers regarding max mileage you'd go for?

Statement: Yes, I would be remiss at not mentioning the Macan GTS but, even though there is a 1:1 mapping on price for a trade in with my E53, the size feels a little small and has less space in the rear than the Panamera. I'm 6'1 and a lifter so width is important. I'm sure that width will move down over time but still...

Test driving: I live somewhere without close access to test drives, and have a current work schedule that just makes this highly impossible... but I also wouldn't be able to test them out in the way I want to

TLDR: Own E53, now have tiny version of me plus a dog (not my call), have to trade in but want something... spicy and practical, while still being aware of possible depreciation in the future!

Thanks for any owners insights!

Old 06-05-2023, 05:17 PM
kzfm
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I will try to answer as I just ordered the Panamera, while test driving Cayenne, Maccan and E63 AMG wagon. I am coming off long term BMW.

Cayenne or Macaan are not anywhere close to Panamera in handling or passenger comfort. Rear steering amplifies steering response and PASM manages body roll and weight transfer much better on Panamera. Top P models add active roll bars and torque vectoring rear diff.
No matter what they try to sell you, there is absolutely nothing that can be done with high placed SUV center of mass and extended suspension travel when it comes to handling.

Question 1: When you have PDCC, PASM, and real axle steering, does anyone enjoy fun night drives solo with their Cayenne or is that just not it in comparison to a Panamera? <--- same question for Panamera GTS folks but I know you guys have no issue having fun with this car from browsing the forum ;D

Question 2: What would be your maximum mileage for a used GTS for either car? I'm trying to keep it as 'new' as possible so I'm just looking under 25k km or so but there is a 33k km pretty well spec'd Cayenne available at a great price even if it's under budget. <--- Same question for Panamera drivers regarding max mileage you'd go for?

Statement: Yes, I would be remiss at not mentioning the Macan GTS but, even though there is a 1:1 mapping on price for a trade in with my E53, the size feels a little small and has less space in the rear than the Panamera. I'm 6'1 and a lifter so width is important. I'm sure that width will move down over time but still..

Last edited by kzfm; 06-05-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:43 PM
bzcat
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

My dog travels with us in the back seat of my Panamera (I also have 1 kid) for short drives but I also have a Mercedes E350 wagon for longer trips. I'm not trying to talk you out of a Porsche but if you need a wagon to do wagon things, Panamera is not that great. Why not consider a E53 wagon? We don't get that option in the US but should be readily available in Europe.

PDCC is pretty amazing as it keeps the car really flat when cornering. RAS really comes in handy when parking and making U-turn since Panamera is a big car... The handling benefit is a bit over hyped in my opinion.

Cayenne defies physics and handles great. But you still do sit on top of it rather than in it... that's the best I can describe. It just feels different.

Macan is likely too small for your need if you have a big dog. It will do fine with a kid and small dog. We compare it with its Audi twin SQ5 and went with the Audi... the cargo area of Macan is about the size of a C-segment hatchback (e.g. Golf). But it is amazingly good driving car.

Go drive them all and pick the one that feels the best... there is no wrong choice.

Last edited by bzcat; 06-05-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:29 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

The Panamera is the ultimate daily/family car that turns into a sports car with the flick of a **** and the press of a pedal. The SUVs are sporty SUVs but will never be sports cars.

I have a Bernese Mountain Dog and he fits fine. Even with a baby, the 60-40 seats will make sure the whole family fits.

I am at a point in life where I can ignore depreciation, if I wasn't, I would look for a 5 year old one. If you want to carve in a 4 seater, this is the top of the hill.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:41 PM
Panuny
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
My dog travels with us in the back seat of my Panamera (I also have 1 kid) for short drives but I also have a Mercedes E350 wagon for longer trips. I'm not trying to talk you out of a Porsche but if you need a wagon to do wagon things, Panamera is not that great. Why not consider a E53 wagon? We don't get that option in the US but should be readily available in Europe.

PDCC is pretty amazing as it keeps the car really flat when cornering. RAS really comes in handy when parking and making U-turn since Panamera is a big car... The handling benefit is a bit over hyped in my opinion.

Cayenne defies physics and handles great. But you still do sit on top of it rather than in it... that's the best I can describe. It just feels different.

Macan is likely too small for your need if you have a big dog. It will do fine with a kid and small dog. We compare it with its Audi twin SQ5 and went with the Audi... the cargo area of Macan is about the size of a C-segment hatchback (e.g. Golf). But it is amazingly good driving car.

Go drive them all and pick the one that feels the best... there is no wrong choice.
My experience so far with PDCC and RAS is living up to some level of hype. I am taking 90 degree turns with no braking at 50-60 mph and I'm not pushing it anywhere near the limits (whatever they may be).
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 06:52 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had a Panamera Turbo and I have a Cayenne Coupe GTS. I'd do the panamera given the opportunity due to the pdk. The Cayenne doesn't have pdk it has a torque converter and the way the car shifts and the way the car holds gears is totally different. The panamera is the better driving car.

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by EmMHoLLa:
chassis (06-09-2023), justabout (06-10-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 07:58 PM
Siqsa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the information / opinions! Was away a bit for work.

I hear you all on the Panamera being better for driving, with the PDK, and perhaps just going E53 if you want a wagon. Sadly, I really dislike wagons and the Sport Turismo here is the only exception because it's.. not really one but it is but it isn't

We had a look at them in person and as much as I love being/driving in a low car like my E53 and the Panamera (even lower), getting in and out of the Cayenne was like the perfect shoe for someone who is taller/larger. But the Panamera was still amazing/comfortable and that wouldn't be a problem... just the increased size was nice.

For us my baby is still under a year old and so my wife has to sit back there half the time on ''longer" journeys and thus we'd lose a lot of the large dog + luggage space you'd typically get. Not a big issue in the future, just moreso now.

If it were me, I'd grab a Panamera for the driving experience but practicality of the Cayenne looks to fit the bill just a bit better - even though there are still 525litres odd of space in the trunk in the ST, the Cayenne Coupe's added 600+ is very useful. My wife's car we just let go of had 515 litres so we know how much it fits.

There are one of each available and pretty similarly priced but the Cayenne has 5k km while the Panamera has 20k km and the latter stretches the budget a bit more but otherwise is really well spec'd. Obviously budget caps all and while everyone has said this is a 'no wrong answer' decision, I am lucky to have two great options rather than be forced by availability! There are a few older/lower priced Panameras from the 460hp gen as well.

This ain't easy, but it is fun. Anyone driven the ST GTS over some mainly good roads but also some not so great roads + 1,000mile trips with a baby and a dog with fully loaded luggage have a story because I feel practicality is gonna win. I'm sure I'll still have a lot of fun regardless but I hear and agree with you all on the driving aspect and know from first hand.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:04 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 382 Posts

The Cayenne is great. On the regular Cayenne the cargo area is big and plenty of room. With a dog and newborn, I would not get the GT with the smaller trunk. Compare two side by side and usable area in the GT is much less. You don’t gain much sport factor vs cargo loss and the GT is more expensive. The Cayenne tow and load rating is high and therefore the springs are stiff, even with air ride. The Cayenne is never sporty nor that comfortable.
it is easy to load a child into a child seat, all SUVs are. If your dog is old or small, maybe difficulty to get into the Cayenne

A Panamera is more comfortable than a Cayenne. Softer sprung. The ST will have plenty of room for your baby and your dog. Backseat slides back for more room. Same in Cayenne. The GTS may have the stiffest springs and be the most firm riding.

Any Porsche after 2017 have Apple car play.

good luck.

Quick Reply: AMG to Porsche switch: Cayenne Coupe GTS vs Panamera GTS questions