Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

970 Valve Cover Gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023 | 12:31 AM
3Danim8r
Rennlist Member

Default 970 Valve Cover Gasket replacement

I had my 2011 Panamera 4 at the dealers to see if there was a PDK software update for it. While there, had them take a look at the car. One of the things they found in need of repair was that the valve cover gaskets were leaking oil and needed replacement. They quoted me 12 hours to do this which I found rather surprising as I've done them in my 1979 930 and innumerable BMWs of all shapes and sizes. Is there something about the Panamera V6 that requires that much labor to swap out the valve cover gaskets? Can't find any YouTube DIYs nor any write ups on it. So, I'm wondering if this is not in the realm of a DIYer? Anyone do this themselves and can shed some light?
Old 04-25-2023 | 02:54 AM
vkb123
Racer

Had it done twice! 1st was done by a dealer under factory warranty. Engine left in place. Leaked again within 18 months and now no longer under factory warranty. Took the car to another very reputable dealer further away. Had it done again. Engine needed to be pulled (that is how Porsche specifies work needs to be done). 16 hours of labour and parts. Thankfully I had an aftermarket extended warranty that covered the repair. Was $16 000 CDN. Many errors in the initial work were identified by the 2nd dealer. Need to ensure whoever is doing the work is methodical and meticulous.

Here is the Porsche service bulletin outlining cam and timing chain cover leaks:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...68745-0001.pdf

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 970 Valve Cover Gasket replacement