Coolant level check

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 03:14 PM
PannyBoy
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolant level check

Howdy, 2013 Panamera 4 owner here.

The other day I got a low coolant message, so when I got home I topped it off till the red indicator was centered. Next morning I checked the level and it was low again, so added a little more. Ran some errands and when car was cool checked the level and it was dead center. The past few days same thing, low in morning then reads fine after a drive.. Coolant temp is solid at 200, no more low coolant warnings.

Anyone have a clue what is happening?
Old 02-28-2023, 05:26 PM
Epeviston
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont know specifically to panameras but generally coolant level should be checked cold. Set level cold and then recheck cold. There is sometimes a reservoir that has a "HOT" level on the side of it you can see...but not the Pana. Only way I know to check it is with engine cold. Remove the cap when hot and the system can expand and boil suddenly with the loss of pressurization. So set it cold and check it cold. There is no where the coolant could be going except out a leaking coolant pipe or seal or through the engine via a head gasket or cracked block etc. sometimes leaks begin and then heal themselves for a short while. Then start again. If you are consistently losing coolant you will soon know if you keep an eye on it. Pretty common for these cars to develope coolant leaks.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:24 PM
PannyBoy
AutoX

Originally Posted by Epeviston
I dont know specifically to panameras but generally coolant level should be checked cold. Set level cold and then recheck cold. There is sometimes a reservoir that has a "HOT" level on the side of it you can see...but not the Pana. Only way I know to check it is with engine cold. Remove the cap when hot and the system can expand and boil suddenly with the loss of pressurization. So set it cold and check it cold. There is no where the coolant could be going except out a leaking coolant pipe or seal or through the engine via a head gasket or cracked block etc. sometimes leaks begin and then heal themselves for a short while. Then start again. If you are consistently losing coolant you will soon know if you keep an eye on it. Pretty common for these cars to develope coolant leaks.
​​​​​​
thanks, the times I checked coolant after a drive I waited 30 minutes, maybe not long enough I guess. I will check again tomorrow.and add coolant if necessary.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:16 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by PannyBoy
​​​​​​
thanks, the times I checked coolant after a drive I waited 30 minutes, maybe not long enough I guess. I will check again tomorrow.and add coolant if necessary.
30 mins isn't long enough. 90 minutes minimum. Overnight is best.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:41 PM
PannyBoy
AutoX

Update:

Thinkl I figured out what was happening. I topped off coolant level after 12 hours of car parked. Has remained at stable level for 2 weeks. Either myself or my mechanic probably did not screw down coolant reservoit tank cap till it "clicks" so was loosing a bit of coolant from there. All good now thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:33 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 454 Posts

What kinda coolant are you running?
Old 04-04-2023, 11:09 AM
PannyBoy
AutoX

Originally Posted by Shuga
What kinda coolant are you running?
Coolant was flushed and replaced by Porsche dealer 1000 miles before I bought car, so assume it is Porsche coolant.

Quick Reply: Coolant level check