Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Retrofit Turbo PSE on 4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 12:26 PM
Felwintur
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Retrofit Turbo PSE on 4S

I'm shopping around for exhaust options. I would like the factory PSE on my 2010 4S but don't want to pay the premium on a new exhaust system. I've found a pre-owned PSE but the mufflers are off a 2011 Turbo and I'm concerned about pipe diameter. I can modify hanger locations, other fitment issues, but I can't help it if the pipe diameter is wrong.

Does anyone know if the exhaust pipe diameter is the same for all V8 970 cars? Any other issues I might encounter by retrofitting a turbo PSE to my 4S?
Old 01-18-2023, 02:46 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

hmm better to just buy a aftermarket exhaust, the turbo PSE might not fit and have a different layout. I know for the 971, the v6TT is a h pipe while the turbo is a X pipe configuration. So i don't recommend it and just pick up a used 970 exhaust or go on ebay

As there are a bunch of custom exhaust

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...haust&_sacat=0

you don't need to get a brand name, just check the configuration they are all SS type anyway, and make sure you get brand new gasket, cause most of the gasket from China are trash
Old 02-06-2023, 02:02 PM
Felwintur
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

An update on this:

I purchased a genuine Porsche Sport Exhaust from eBay. It was listed as coming from a 2011 Turbo with 87,000mi. When I received it, I measured the diameter of the PSE pipe and it was 65mm in diameter. The exhaust pipe on my 2010 4S measured 60mm diameter. So there was a 5mm difference in size that I needed to accommodate for. I had a local shop fab two 4" long pipe adapters to join the 60mm pipe to the 65mm pipe, which cost around $20.

I installed everything using exhaust clamps, along with some Permatex high-temp RTV to ensure a good seal. No leaks detected after spraying with soapy water. The turbo PSE used all the same hangers as the 4S.

The PSE sounds great, especially from the outside. It's a little quiet inside the cabin. I was going to retrofit the system to control the exhaust flaps, but I honestly don't see a point anymore. The sound with the flaps open is exactly right.
The following 2 users liked this post by Felwintur:
e30rapidic (03-05-2023), Mr Tee (02-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Retrofit Turbo PSE on 4S