Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Conflicting TPMS information

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 10:18 AM
rrwarren
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Conflicting TPMS information

I'm changing wheels on my 2022 Panamera and am getting conflicting information on the RDE047v21 sensors. Tire Rack and TPMS.com both state that this sensor is good for my car while the BHSens website lists it for the 971 through 2021. In my search I even read that, BHSens does not have a direct replacement sensor for this car.

I asked the Tire Rack sales person to confirm this fitment with his tech people and he tells me he did. When pressed, all he said was they "checked it out with the specs." He even said that it's possible that BHSens just hasn't updated their website. I would have liked to hear that that they have sold this sensor for this car and they didn't come back.

I don't know what "Specs" Tire Rack checked but I understand there are different TPMS protocols and Porsche may have decided to change it for 2022. Suncoast even asks for a VIN suggesting the possibility that a mid year change is possible.

I'd be pretty unhappy if I spent twice as much for Porsche sensors and the RDE sensors are compatible and I'm hoping someone on this list has installed the RDE047v21 on the 2022 971.

ps. I apologize if this particular TPMS issue has been discussed, I reviewed 20 pages of threads without see my problem.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:52 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

I am pretty sure the TPMS change happened earlier, like 2019. I am not 100% sure on a Panamera but on my 2020 GT4 I bought some track wheels from 2016 and ran into them not being read by the car. Investigation found that Porsche changed the TMPS coding of their sensors in 2018 or 2019.

I feel like a quick call to a Porsche dealer parts dept to see when the part number changed would answer your question quickly. I believe Porsche uses the same sensors across all models.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:21 PM
rrwarren
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how interested my dealer will be in helping me buy aftermarket sensors but it's worth asking.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:21 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwarren
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how interested my dealer will be in helping me buy aftermarket sensors but it's worth asking.
I'm sure they won't but if you know the Porsche sensors changed then you know the aftermarket ones will have to be different as well.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:11 PM
rrwarren
Rennlist Member

Problem Solved.
I spoke to the dealer parts person who was fully cooperative and stated that the only changes to the Panamera in 2022 were cosmetic and that the TPMS part number was unchanged. He confirmed that had there been any change to the sensor the part number would have also changed.

I then spoke with a CSR at BHSens who confirmed that, given the same Porsche part number, the RDE047v21 would be compatible with the 2022 971.

At this point, I'm confident enough to have them installed, which won't be until mid September, and if this turns out to be incorrect I'll update it here. Otherwise I consider the issue resolved.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 10:46 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

If it makes you feel any better I bought some used wheels with OEM TPMS installed - not sure the year but definitely pre-2022 971, and they just worked.