Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Interior Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 09:25 PM
k2s0
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Dimensions

Cross shopping a few cars as the primary family hauler. I've shortlisted an 2018 CPO e-Hybrid but I'm having difficultly finding interior dimensions. I'd drop in at a dealer and measure/sit my butt down but with work and kids finding time to just drop in isn't easy. Anybody know where I can find specs? Or if someone is open to breaking out the tape measurer and measuring the back seat dimensions for me, that would be so wonderful. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2022, 08:54 AM
Thunderthumbs
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any exact numbers, but - they're curiously cozy cars inside, without much storage for the miscellany of family.

I went from a 2018 Volvo V90 Inscription to a 2018 e-Hybrid Sport Turismo. Similar overall footprint between the 2 cars, but the Volvo felt relatively cavernous compared to the Panamera: the door cubbies are mid-sized, but a bit far back; the center console storage is shallow and small; the ashtray is too small to function as anything but an ashtray or coin holder; arguably, only one of the front cupholder is usable without forethought; don't know if its just mine, but the rear seat belt receptacles are buried in the seat - my 6 and 8 year old kids had a hard enough time buckling that I got seat-belt extenders (they finally got the hold of it after some months); one usb-charger in the center console, which is for the CarPlay (but a dual USB adapter will fit in there); and last, it feels like the greenhouse tapers as it goes up (i.e., car is wide at the bottom, but narrows as you go up), so should to shoulder feels... closer.

I've concluded that there's no perfect family car for car-guys that aren't multi-car wealthy - they all bring trades (maybe the AMG Benz wagons, but those are next level pricey relative to my wallet). The Volvo was the better family wagon hands-down. But Dad enjoys the Porsche infinitely more (and I liked the Volvo, was just bored). I've put nearly as many miles on the Pana in one year as I did the Volvo in 3. And I really don't have any place I need to go.

Overall - it will serve it's purpose as a "family" car just fine, but capacity/accommodation isn't it's strongest suit.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:39 PM
trongngo97
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on the Panamera being ridiculously small inside compared to its exterior footprint. Please go sit and test drive if you want it, but the interior is that of a midsize sedan/wagon (E-class, A6, 5-series). The wheelbase is 116 in. and you can deduct leg room from that, I can't find any other interior dimensions at all.

FWIW, Porsche report their cargo space from the cargo cover down. So the number is not representative of maximum capacity because you would have the space above the cover.

I'm buying the Panamera as a family hauler too (GTS ST to be exact). My family aren't the tallest people, so it's adequate. Taller individuals will fit, but not to the level of stretch-your-leg first-class legroom. Headroom will not be an issue. There are better family haulers out there of course, but I'm buying a Panamera because I know I'll be driving it.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:39 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by k2s0
Cross shopping a few cars as the primary family hauler. I've shortlisted an 2018 CPO e-Hybrid but I'm having difficultly finding interior dimensions. I'd drop in at a dealer and measure/sit my butt down but with work and kids finding time to just drop in isn't easy. Anybody know where I can find specs? Or if someone is open to breaking out the tape measurer and measuring the back seat dimensions for me, that would be so wonderful. Thanks in advance!
I know time is scarce but IMO you can't get a feel for how the car fits using a tape measure or specs on a website.

To generalize further, would you buy a car sight unseen based only on what Car & Driver magazine, or a Top Gear episode said about it?

If you are going to seriously consider a vehicle purchase you need to go drive it.

I will agree with others, but in a different way - 100% true the Panamera is not cavernous inside compared to it's exterior dimensions, but this is one of the reasons I like it. It is definitely NOT SMALL inside, it's just not cavernous. If I want cavernous, I'll drive the wife's Sienna minivan. No, the kids can't sit indian-style in the rear bucket seats - but I don't want that. Front and rear seat passengers have all the space they need (and that means LEGITIMATE space for n=4 six-foot tall people), and no superfluous space. The rest of the space that would otherwise be "sprawl" space for occupants is instead occupied by bank-vault doors, high-quality seats, interior center consoles, etc. As a veteran road-trip enthusiast I took the Panny on a 3300mile road trip a few months ago and it was the best car I've ever experienced for spending lots of time in. Big wide seats and wide open cockpits are "meh", when the cockpit fits so right.

This is all (again) IMO of course. I'm 190lbs and 6'0", so definitely not small, but also not "big" - if you are a 6'6" 350lb powerlifter, yeah you might not find it "cozy" like it do, it may be just plain too small. But at that point you also have to realize you are on the far right of the bell curve and you're probably used to shopping based on your size as the 99th-percentile male lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by sac02:
DogWood (04-05-2022), gougoul (04-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Interior Dimensions