Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera - Only Model with YOY Increased Demand!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 04:50 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Panamera - Only Model with YOY Increased Demand!

Porsche posted its U.S. 2022 Q1 sales today: LINK.

Every model’s sales numbers went down year-over-year (comparing 2022 Q1 vs 2021 Q1). Taycan’s sales decreased the least YOY by 4% while 718 sales fell by 48%. Interestingly, Panamera was the only one with a YOY increase in sales — a 75% increase! So much for the naysayers who said “RIP Panamera” and wrote it off for good.

Sure, Panamera scored the second lowest among all models in 2022 Q1 (just edging out the 718) and Taycan continues to do well with 2.5x more sales than Panamera in this recent quarter, but Panamera is holding its ground, has decent demand, and continues to make $$$ for Porsche. Long live the Panamera! Ha!

Also, keep in mind this is U.S. sales and my understanding is that Panameras are more popular in the rest of the world (such as China) but I can’t seem to find sales figures outside the U.S.

Last edited by SS22; 04-01-2022 at 07:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SS22:
MKC91 (04-06-2022), Mr Tee (04-01-2022), vg247 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 06:14 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 147 Posts

I do not interpret that report the same as you.

Those numbers in the current state of the supply chain are not reliable indicators of demand, they are indicators of what the manufacturer is physically able to produce due to parts (chip) shortages.

Taycan (with significantly more chip content, especially high demand systems like ADAS) is going to be much harder to maintain production volumes that meet customer demand.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:03 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

I agree with you that these numbers and frankly the numbers since the pandemic started are tainted by the supply issues. But I have no reason to think that Porsche would funnel the precious chips and other supplies that it gets more towards the Panamera than the Taycan or any other model. I suppose with can make assumptions about that and I think Panameras are more profitable for Porsche than Taycan but I am not sure.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:54 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 147 Posts

Sorry, I was not saying that Porsche was funneling chips to Panamera, although if the Panamera margin is higher AND it is a unique case where it is possible, they certainly might.

I was saying that with significantly more electronic content, the Taycan is that much more likely to be impacted by chip shortages simply due to numbers.

I think a lot of people think that "chips" are easily interchangeable and that is not the case. These are not like desktop CPUs that if we run out of Intel Core i5 chips, we can just start using Core i3 or Core i7 while we wait for the next batch of i5 silicon.

The vast majority of "chips" we are talking about don't work like that. If there is an IC for the Taycan inverter that is unavailable, you can't just use a "close enough" IC from some other Panamera ECU. In that case Taycan production is stalled.

​​​​​If a chip used in the stereo is in short supply, and the same stereo (architecturally speaking) is used in multiple cars, then yes in THAT very specific case Porsche can make the decision and give instruction to Panasonic to prioritize the part number that goes in the Panamera for example. But that's a less likely scenario.

Basically I was just saying that it only takes 1 missing ECU to bring production to a halt, and that's more likely to happen in a vehicle with more ECUs than in a vehicle with fewer ECUs.

Last edited by sac02; 04-02-2022 at 02:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Panamera - Only Model with YOY Increased Demand!