Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2017 Turbo Track Ready or Need Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Procharger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Turbo Track Ready or Need Mods ?

Hi:
I am pretty new to this thread since i just got a used 2017 971 panamera turbo. I plan to track it for fun, which is NOT " professional " or "set time " things.

I would like to know if anyone did the same could answer "If anything basic like brake pads, fluid etc. is a must to change ?" . Anything helps !

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:13 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

No - you won't have to change anything. You'll simply go thru tires and brakes faster on a track - these are great cars and will do just fine. There should be technical inspections to make sure your vehicle is safe for the track conditions. If it's a slower, tighter track you'll just feel the weight of the Panamera more. The track is a great place to learn how to drive better, have fun out there!
The following users liked this post:
Procharger (03-28-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:29 AM
SuperG$
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Procharger
Hi:
I am pretty new to this thread since i just got a used 2017 971 panamera turbo. I plan to track it for fun, which is NOT " professional " or "set time " things.

I would like to know if anyone did the same could answer "If anything basic like brake pads, fluid etc. is a must to change ?" . Anything helps !

Thanks.
Have you been to a track day before? If not, fresh brake fluid is relatively easy to DIY. Make sure your pads have plenty of material. Clean all of the lose stuff out of the car. I've had my PCA DE Instructor cert for almost 15 years and when I get into a new car first thing I always do is open the glove box (if one is present). If a bunch of sh*t falls out, I stop everything and make the student check again for loose items. One time, there was an unopened soda can under the driver seat. Wouldn't want that sliding into your feet under heavy braking. Tech inspections don't always look in the nooks and crannies. Start the event with cold tire pressures at stock. You can adjust later as you get a feel for the car. Make sure you drink plenty of water. Don't death-grip the steering wheel. Most important -- make sure you're having fun!
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperG$:
911sccab (04-06-2022), DogWood (04-01-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 01:19 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a 2016 Turbo, with after market performance upgrades to 750 bhp. Once, when the 911 was in the shop, I took the Panamera to the autocross. It ripped up the straightaways, but had massive understeer in the tight corners, and the tires (Pirelli P-Zero All Season) struggled in those tight maneuvers. The weight difference was pronounced. If your track has relatively wider turns, and flows well, it should do well, but you'll scrub a lot of brake pad iron and tire rubber. One of the PCA AZ autocross fellows I know took his Panamera S to the track in February and said it did fine. I was in the same session in my 911 and lapped him.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:24 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 147 Posts

There's no fundamental reason why you can't track a Panamera. Follow the same best practices you'd use to prep any other car for track use and you'll be fine.

While I might not call the Panamera "inspiring", it is certainly competent. I personally disagree with the automotive press hyperbole that you so often hear, that the Panamera is magic and hides its weight and drives like sports cars that weigh 3500lbs - that's BS (again, IMO). It's a heavy car that's freakin' fast and handles better than other vehicles in its class - but you never forget that you're throwing nearly 5000lbs around the track/road.

As previously mentioned, your tire and brake budget will be much higher than a lighter car.

Be sure to drive within your limits as you are learning - there's a lot you don't know, that you don't know yet. Work your way up to speed while listening to and heeding your instructor's advice.

You can't go as fast as a 718 Cayman, but you can have just as much fun.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (03-29-2022)

Quick Reply: 2017 Turbo Track Ready or Need Mods ?