Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

DIY Oil Change - 2016 Panamera S E-Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 04:24 AM
16PanaHybrid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default DIY Oil Change - 2016 Panamera S E-Hybrid

Hi all, just changed the oil in my '16 hybrid and thought I'd share my experience.

The 2014-16 hybrid uses an Audi-sourced 3.0 V6, and to my surprise even has a (capped) spot for a dipstick. The existence of a dipstick tube makes use of an oil extractor from the top side a viable option. For this oil change though I went with the traditional oil pan drain plug method.

Materials Needed
  • Oil filter (OE p/n 95810722201)
  • Oil drain plug (OE p/n PAF911679)
  • Oil drain plug crush washer (OE p/n PAF013849)
  • 6.6 Quarts (6.25 liters) of synthetic oil (I used O'Reillys brand 5w30)
  • 6mm Allen/hex socket bit
  • 36mm socket
  • Socket wrench and torque wrench
  • Small flat blade screwdriver
  • Needlenose pliers
  • Oil catch basin; 8qt or larger
  • Code scanner capable of resetting ECU oil change interval (I use the iCarSoft POR2 unit)

1. Drive the car in engine mode until it is up to temperature (e-power off and accelerate past gas pedal detent to engage engine).

2. Shut vehicle off and let sit for 10 minutes to let oil settle and cool slightly.

First note the top side items of interest:

Yellow: Capped dipstick tube
Blue: Oil fill cap (duh)
Green: Oil filter access

Make sure parking brake is set and at least one rear wheel is chocked before raising the vehicle!

3. I raised the car on my driveway utilizing both the "A" and "B" jack points to get the front end up on jack stands. I first used the "B" point, which is round and is recessed 2" into the underside cover:

"B" jack point

4. Then placed the jack stand at the "A" point to secure the vehicle.

5. Once the vehicle is raised, remove a total of 20 Torx T-20 screws to lower and remove the underbody shield. It is quite large (and I discovered mine is missing the entire front section!):

6. With the shield is removed, you will find a round cutout with the oil drain plug directly above:

7. Place your oil catch basin under the opening and remove the drain plug using the 6mm allen socket.

It also helps speed the oil draining process to open the oil fill cap on top of the engine.

8. Once all of the oil has drained, install the new drain plug and crush washer and torque to 22 lb ft:

9. Next step is to remove the oil filter assembly using the 36mm socket:

Tuck some shop towels in around the bottom side to keep oil from dripping down the engine while removing the filter.

10. With the filter assembly out of the car, pull the paper filter cartridge firmly away from the plastic housing to remove.

The new oil filter should come with two new rubber seals. Be sure to apply a light coating of new oil to each seal before installing.

11. The thicker seal seats down inside the filter holder and has a rubber tab you can grab onto with a pair of needlenose pliers to remove and reinstall:

12. The thinner seal goes around the oil filter opening on the engine itself. Use a small flat blade to carefully lift and remove it and then stretch the new seal into place.

13. Push the new oil filter onto the filter assembly until it firmly clicks into place. It can go on either way.

14. Screw the oil filter assembly back into the engine and tighten with the 36mm socket wrench until just snug. Do not overtighten!

15. Reinstall the underbody shield and lower the vehicle back to the ground. Don't forget to remove any wheel chocks!

16. Add 6.6 quarts (6.25 liters) of new oil through the oil fill opening. Replace cap when finished.

17. Connect the scan tool, turn ignition to ON without starting the vehicle, and complete the steps to reset the oil change interval. Mine prompts me to enter the date performed in YYYYMMDD format.

18. Disconnect the scan tool and then start the vehicle. Take it out for a drive in engine mode until the engine reaches operating temp, then check the oil level in the gauge display under Vehicle > Oil Level to confirm correct reading.

Done!
The following 3 users liked this post by 16PanaHybrid:
cbwinters01 (01-10-2022), orca15 (01-10-2022), rrrrachel (04-16-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 04:38 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice write-up.

I dont know about the O'Rileys oil, but not all synthetics are equal. Given the propensity for these engines to gunk up the valves, important to use proper spec.

As long as the oil meets the Audi/VW 502 spec, any brand is OK. Here is the Audi Recommended Oils TSB:
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...e-Bulletin.pdf

The following users liked this post:
16PanaHybrid (01-15-2022)

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change - 2016 Panamera S E-Hybrid