Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Thumping like noise under hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021 | 03:46 AM
lucian95
Advanced

Question Thumping like noise under hard braking

Hope you can offer some advice. My car is a Panamera GTS 2016, 1st generation. I'm at app. 50k miles currently, all services are up to date and I had all 4 brake pads and rotors replaced 15k miles/1 year ago. After my recent service, I noticed when applying brakes at somewhat higher speeds, let's say 60 mph onwards, I hear this thumping noise from front brakes/wheels. It feels like I'm driving on uneven tires when braking. Steering wheel is stable, no pulsation. It doesn't happen when braking or slowing down at lower speeds or coming to a traffic stop. The car was just serviced at Porsche and all checked out, the only thing they did with the brakes is changed the brake fluid. Unfortunately, I'm currently underway doing a lot of holiday driving and can't have the car back at my dealer to be checked immediately. Is it possible that rotors are warped or something else around suspension got loose (control arms etc..)-I will have it checked at the earliest opportunity, I may even go to a an independent in the area where I'm currently staying to make sure the car is safe for driving, but wanted to hear from the forum in case someone else might have had a similar experience. Thank you in advance for any suggestion/idea you may have.
Old 12-14-2021 | 02:54 AM
lucian95
Advanced

Got things resolved. We drove around with Porsche mechanic and tested the brakes. It turns out that front brakes and rotors were fine, the noise was coming from the rear. It was confirmed that during the brake job last year, the front rotors were replaced whereas the rear rotors were kept as is and will need replacement at the next brake job.
Old 12-14-2021 | 10:06 AM
sac02
Pro

Thanks for the follow up, always good for the next person who might stumble across this thread with a similar issue.

Quick Reply: Thumping like noise under hard braking