Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Fidelity warranty and 970 air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 12:58 PM
harr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fidelity warranty and 970 air suspension?

Hey all, curious if anyone has had any experience with Fidelity (platinum) providing coverage / repair for the air suspension on the Panamera? I ask because of some potentially conflicting info in their coverage document..

Platinum level is exclusionary, and includes everything called out in lower levels (gold / powetrain) and anything not specifically excluded..

Called out in Gold coverage is what I would expect to cover the air suspension..

FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION: Upper and lower control arms, shafts and bushings; upper and lower ball joints; struts; wheel bearings/hubs;
spindle/steering knuckle and spindle support; coil and leaf springs, seats and bushings, leaf spring shackles; track bars, links and bushings;
electronic level control components including pump, accumulator, lines, bags; stabilizer bar, links and bushings; kingpin; torsion bar, mounts
and bushings; tension rods/radius arm.
However, in the exclusions, they have "shock absorbers" listed..

15. UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE
PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING
AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER
STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE
BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND
RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT
OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT
SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;
I still feel like most of the air suspension would be covered, but this enough of a concern that I thought I'd just throw it out there and see if anyone had actual experience with Fidelity in this way?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2021, 01:32 PM
Shrike071
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

They specifically mention the airbags as being covered, but they exclude the actual shock absorber....and they cover a strut.... That's a poorly written policy!
The following users liked this post:
harr (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:49 PM
harr
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shrike071
They specifically mention the airbags as being covered, but they exclude the actual shock absorber....and they cover a strut.... That's a poorly written policy!
Agreed.. they did call out airbags on the exclusion I believe, but not clear if that was safety airbags, or suspension.. enough grey area here that I’m hoping to see if anyone might have personal experience with this.. 🤞😬
Old 10-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Shrike071
Racer

To me, the bags would be covered under your Gold portion:
electronic level control components including pump, accumulator, lines, bags;
What are you looking to have covered?
harr (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:19 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I know they covered a bag blowout I had on my BMW F07 under the Platinum warranty. I also know they are pretty limited on items they consider trim like soft close doors, door latches, fuel door latch release etc.
harr (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:27 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Same boat just got quote from Michael at mossy Motors for my 13 GTS... wont keep this car long so looking at the 3yr/36 Gold or 2 year Platinum 24k theyre same price
looking at the quote its at $3524 i have 39k miles.. big difference with platinum is it covers all mechanical breakdown.except from some items listed.

but seems like Gold covers it from shrike071 above - electronic level control components including pump, accumulator, lines, bags;

Last edited by alex911s; 10-19-2021 at 11:33 AM.
harr (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 12:11 PM
harr
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shrike071
To me, the bags would be covered under your Gold portion:

What are you looking to have covered?
Don’t know.. still in research mode, looking to buy closer to Thanksgiving (970.1 turbo or GTS) but spending the interim doing my due diligence on the more common issues like the air suspension (and coolant pipes, etc..). Seems like some of the issues I’ve read are with slower leaks, general red “chassis system” error/warning message, or air compressor failure. Guess I’m more curious if the warranty helped out for those that have had “issues” (whatever those may be) with the air suspension in the past.

Last edited by harr; 10-19-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:10 PM
Shrike071
Racer

What is weird / sketchy is that they say they don't cover "shock absorbers" but they do cover "struts". Depending on who you're talking to, the front air suspension can be called an air strut assembly or an air bag and shock absorber.
harr (10-19-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 02:02 PM
Thunderthumbs
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it would be covered, based on 2 things: 1) I don't think Panamera's have "shock absorbers". They have "struts", they have "air springs" they "springs", but I see no parts identified as "shock" or "shock absorber". Not meaning to be pedantic, but from my experience with warranty companies and service departments, nuances are terminology are meaningful; and, 2) prior experience with an Assurant (aka United Service Protection Corp, aka USP) exclusionary, fanciest mineral-branded warranty and a 2008 S550: the warranty specifically excluded "shock absorbers", but it covered replacement of a faulty air-strut on that car without parsing out the "absorber" parts from the "strut" or "air" parts. Also, I had some a seat heater go out, and to replace that they replace the whole cushion. Warranty excluded interior bits, so I was concerned they'd not cover to fix the seat heater - but they did, i.e., they covered the seat cushion and the heater in it (not all companies are the same, of course, but in my experience coverage of related components is typically included).

Of course, your mileage may vary. You can also call and ask them. I did that once or twice with mine.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Shrike071
Racer

As an aside, but on a related note, my Panamera just went in for it's first warranty claim. It's a "gold" level warranty. The total claim was $7,700 for engine mounts, vacuum pump (leaking), 2 cam cover gaskets (leaking), driveshaft isolation mount (torn), and a leaking trans pan. Insurance covered $6612. The difference was what the shop estimated the labor to run. The insurance co said it should take you X hours and the shop said it will take y hours. Guess who is on the hook?
Old 10-29-2021, 04:51 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs
I think it would be covered, based on 2 things: 1) I don't think Panamera's have "shock absorbers". They have "struts", they have "air springs" they "springs", but I see no parts identified as "shock" or "shock absorber". Not meaning to be pedantic, but from my experience with warranty companies and service departments, nuances are terminology are meaningful; and, 2) prior experience with an Assurant (aka United Service Protection Corp, aka USP) exclusionary, fanciest mineral-branded warranty and a 2008 S550: the warranty specifically excluded "shock absorbers", but it covered replacement of a faulty air-strut on that car without parsing out the "absorber" parts from the "strut" or "air" parts. Also, I had some a seat heater go out, and to replace that they replace the whole cushion. Warranty excluded interior bits, so I was concerned they'd not cover to fix the seat heater - but they did, i.e., they covered the seat cushion and the heater in it (not all companies are the same, of course, but in my experience coverage of related components is typically included).

Of course, your mileage may vary. You can also call and ask them. I did that once or twice with mine.
Monroe have the explanation - https://www.monroe.com/technical-res...vs-struts.html
anyways i bought the platinum from Mossy Motors $3600 2 yr 24k miles...lol

Last edited by alex911s; 10-29-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:05 PM
mc-pgts
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I couldn't get a straight answer, even from sources listed in Rennist, about the air suspension on our 970 GTS so I left the $ in the bank for when it does need a repair.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Shrike071
Racer

Originally Posted by mc-pgts
I couldn't get a straight answer, even from sources listed in Rennist, about the air suspension on our 970 GTS so I left the $ in the bank for when it does need a repair.
Honestly, even if you have to replace them, if you're handy with a wrench you can save a pile of cash. The job itself is not difficult (believe it or not) but it does require some know-how. There's two writeups here that walk you through the process. Ckia's and mine. My writeup actually goes into the tear-down of the bag/strut itself.
harr (10-30-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 12:25 AM
Tags63
Track Day

Thumbs up Fidelity is awesome!!

I have a '12 Pana Turbo S. I basically just had every component changed in the air suspension (compressor, valve block, level sensors, all lines, F & R air struts, only thing that didn't need changing was the air tank, switches in car or the ecu) plus upper front control arms, all front bushings, & few other items. They paid for it all & I was over the moon with that since it was a very hefty bill. 3rd time with Fidelity & they don't disappoint!!!

Happy Holidays!!

Paul
Old 01-04-2022, 12:32 PM
JPhi1618
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't a big part of the problem the cost of a new/reman air strut? Or is there a reasonable place to get those? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Fidelity warranty and 970 air suspension?