Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Official Panamera Waiting Room (for new orders)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 09:32 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

@Tosa5, that’s great that you got on the RCC Classic. That was one of the ships I thought my car would end up on before I got pleasantly surprised and found out it had gotten on Pleiades Leader. Per the attached schedule from the shipping company, RCC Classic is scheduled to get to San Diego on 12/16. The shipping schedules are usually pretty accurate. The various ship-tracking websites will update the date of arrival at San Diego whenever it actually leaves Freeport and heads to San Diego (hopefully soon). By the way, I recommend getting the app called “Maritime Optima” — it’s the only one I found that provides free live satellite tracking at all times. It’s pretty sweet!

EDIT: forgot to attach the shipping schedule. Here it is.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS22; 11-27-2021 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:05 PM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I am getting excited; Looks like it's really happening!!!

I am waiting on a Panamera 4E Hybrid Sport Tourismo. It's currently in the Gulf of Mexico, heading for Houston where it will be unloaded and shipped to my dealer in Ft. Collins, CO.

What I have ordered:
  • Panamera 4 E-hybrid Sport Tourismo
  • Chalk with Bordeaux Red / Black leather interior
  • 20” Panamera Turbo Wheels
  • Acid Green painted caliper delete
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Premium package
  • Assistance package
  • Rear axle steering w/ power steering plus
History to date:
  • 4/2021, Initial order for a 2021 model.
  • 6/2021: Re-order due to chip shortage, 6/2021. Delay will make my allocation become one of the first 2022 models.
  • 10/29/2021: Production completed. Now transporting to port for loading onto SIEM CICERO.
  • 11/8/2021: SEIM CICERO departure for Port of Davisville (RI).
  • 11/22/2021: Arrival at The Port of Davisville
  • 11/23/2021 : SIEM CICERO departs Davisville, destination Jacksonville, FL.
  • 11/26/2021: SIEM CICERO stops in Jacksonville, then departs (same day) for Houston.
  • 11/30/2021: Arrival and off-loading at Port of Houston. Waiting on Maroney document for release from Port.
  • 12/8/2021: Released from port and awaiting truck for transport to Colorado.

Last edited by jbkanas; 12-10-2021 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Updated Timeline
Old 11-27-2021, 03:17 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbkanas
I am getting excited; Looks like it's really happening!!!

I am waiting on a Panamera 4E Hybrid Sport Tourismo. It's currently in the Gulf of Mexico, heading for Houston where it will be unloaded and shipped to my dealer in Ft. Collins, CO.

What I have ordered:
  • Panamera 4 E-hybrid Sport Tourismo
  • Chalk with Bordeaux Red / Black leather interior
  • 20” Panamera Turbo Wheels
  • Acid Green painted caliper delete
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Premium package
  • Assistance package
  • Rear axle steering w/ power steering plus
History to date:
  • 4/2021, Initial order for a 2021 model.
  • 6/2021: Re-order due to chip shortage, 6/2021. Delay will make my allocation become one of the first 2022 models.
  • 10/29/2021: Production completed. Now transporting to port for loading onto SIEM CICERO.
  • 11/8/2021: SEIM CICERO departure for Port of Davisville (RI).
  • 11/22/2021: Arrival at The Port of Davisville
  • 11/23/2021 : SIEM CICERO departs Davisville, destination Jacksonville, FL.
  • 11/26/2021: SIEM CICERO stops in Jacksonville, then departs (same day) for Houston.
Very exciting! We have nearly an identical build. I did everything the same as you on my 4S E-Hybrid except 21” black sport design wheels and the addition of massage seats, heated GT sport steering wheel, 7.2 kw onboard charger, exclusive design taillights, Porsche crest on headrests, and high gloss black window trim, model designation and door handles.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:28 PM
Tosa5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you SS22! Very helpful. I wonder if there is consistent period of time interval from arrival of the ship at port and the dealer completing the prep and releasing the car to the customer. The schedule my dealer sent shows 2 weeks.

By the way, I expect to keep my new Panamera for a long time so I am interested in how to properly maintain the car. I found this post in another thread that I found very useful - it's a summary of the advise on break-in period from a Porsche engineer at the factory - here is a copy of it:

New Engine Break-in Conundrum

By: Ken Koop-The Yellowstone Region (Old Faithful Newsletter)Since I was a young boy, I have always wondered why it takes so long to break-in a new engine–especially those built by Porsche. Most people driving new cars also do not fully understand the real reason for the break-in period. Are you one of them? A good friend of mine just picked up his brand new 911 Turbo and complained about the break-in period taking so long (2,000 miles, not exceeding 4,000 RPM). We have talked about this issue many times over the past few years, always coming up with many scenarios of why such a long break-in period is required. However, we have never agreed on a reasonable answer. Well, you are about to find out the reason Porsche requires the break-in period it has today. The answer comes directly from the engineers at Porsche.

I was on a recent Porsche factory tour and was watching an engine being built and dyno tested. Each engine is built by a single person on a moving production line. Porsche feels that they can obtain better quality control with one person building an individual engine from start to finish. In addition, each engine builder can assemble every type of production engine that Porsche produces and every gasoline engine is still built at the Stuttgart factory. It takes 2-3 ½ hours to assemble each engine, depending on the type. Afterwards, the completed engines are either used in the cars produced at the Zuffenhausen factory or are boxed up and shipped to Leipzig (for the Cayenne and Panamera) or off to Finland (for the Boxster and Cayman).

Before all of the parts are assembled for a particular engine; the pistons, connecting rods and valves are individually weighed and grouped together using similar weights to optimize performance. They are put onto a cart that moves along the assembly line with each engine block. This cart contains every part required to assemble that particular engine which includes each washer, nut, bolt, bearing etc… As a result, if any part is left in the cart at the end of the assembly line, then—Houston, we have a problem! At the end of the assembly line, the engine is filled with Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. Each engine is then dry run (without fuel), pressure tested and checked for leaks. Every car coming off the production line is also run on a rolling road dyno. This enables all cars and engines to be tested at highway speed before they leave the factory.

Some of the engines are also randomly selected to be tested on a dyno stand before they are installed into the car. The assembly plant has 5 dyno rooms located directly off the production line. The day I was on the tour, there were around 40 engines lined up on dollies. Some of these engines were in the process of being tested for quality control purposes. Once the engine is bolted onto the dyno, warm water is circulated throughout the engine to bring it up to temperature. The operator then starts the engine and checks for the correct pressures and temperature before the actual test begins. Engine speed is then increased in RPM steps to about 80% of its red line (the engine’s maximum RPM). The entire engine run takes around 30 minutes. Since each engine type (Turbo, GT3, Boxster or Carrera…) has a different red line, all of the data is recorded and analyzed after the test is completed.After the engine is turned off, the engine is again checked for seal leaks and its actual HP is compared to its advertised HP. To pass final inspection, the engine has to develop, at a minimum, 100% of what its advertised HP rating is. Also, the engine cannot produce more than 5% over that same advertised rating. If the engine falls out of those parameters, the engine is rejected and then torn down to determine why it did not deliver the anticipated HP.When the test was completed, a Porsche engineer came over to review the results. I couldn’t resist asking the question that I had been searching to find an answer to for all these years. I asked “why does Porsche feel it is safe for a new engine to run at nearly full throttle in the factory, while the customer must keep the engine speed to no more than 4,000 RPM for a 2,000 mile break-in period?” I thought that was a logical question and if I do say so myself-well stated! The engineer replied, “Herr Koop, you do not understand (that I already knew). When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine never reach the temperatures they would when driven on the street since the test session is fairly short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is little wear on the moving components. But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time. No matter how tight the tolerances are, there is always a slight amount of expansion in the material. The moving parts can wear quickly if exposed to excessive heat and not always in a uniform way. We also constantly vary the speed and allow the engine to run at both high and low RPM’s”.

“Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly, which means it needs to maintain a lower operating temperature (below 4,000 RPM) and to allow all parts to adjust (wear-in) within their own thermal expansion parameters. This is also the reason why Porsche wants the owner to vary the RPM throughout the break-in period; therefore the engine doesn’t get use to one operating temperature range”.

“Porsche has been using Mobil 1 Oil since the early 90’s. With its superior lubricating properties, it takes many miles of driving (without getting the engine too hot) before the components actually seat (or break-in). Porsche’s own tests reveal that after 2,000 miles have been driven, all of the moving parts have had a chance to wear into their adjacent surfaces and then an increase in engine RPM is permissible.” I replied, “JA DAS SOUNDS GUT, when you explain it that way, it makes a lot of sense.” I thought to myself “You Dummkopf, why didn’t you think of that”.

The engineer commented that there were many other moving parts other than the engine that needed break-in as well. Wheel bearings, constant velocity joints, tires, brakes and transmission were just some of the other components that were mentioned.

So breaking it down into layman’s terminology, it all comes down to; higher RPM equates to more heat, which leads to greater expansion. For a new engine, that can mean uneven wear on certain parts if excessive heat is allowed to build up. In Porsche’s opinion, the thermal expansion of different parts and various materials need time to adjust to one another. Porsche’s time frame for that to occur is calculated to be 2,000 miles, with the heat restriction being 4,000 RPM. So simple; who woulda thunk.

Many experienced Porsche engine builders and experts on the Flat-6 engine state that the peak power of a Porsche engine is developed around the 20,000 mile mark. This coincides with the principle of what the Porsche engineer was telling me; “Break it in correctly and the engine will last longer and perform better”.

It only took me 45 years to find out the real answer to this puzzling question. After I returned home, I explained this to my friend. As for our ongoing debate, we now feel a solution to this riddle has finally been reached. Neither one of us had the answer to this complex question totally figured out, but we were on the right path! I am finally able to resolve another one of my life’s unanswered mysteries and now it’s been crossed off the list. I hope this helps explain one of your unanswered questions in the car world as well.
Porsche757 is offline Report Post

Last edited by Tosa5; 11-28-2021 at 12:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tosa5:
jbkanas (11-28-2021), Smirnoff67 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 03:49 PM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Default Chalk / Red Pair

Originally Posted by SS22
Very exciting! We have nearly an identical build. I did everything the same as you on my 4S E-Hybrid except 21” black sport design wheels and the addition of massage seats, heated GT sport steering wheel, 7.2 kw onboard charger, exclusive design taillights, Porsche crest on headrests, and high gloss black window trim, model designation and door handles.
SS22: I did see your car's description when I first joined the list. Nice choice, if I say so myself :-). I note the deletion of the bright green calipers; I simply could not get my head around the bright green brakes on an otherwise very dignified color scheme. The red calipers on my Speed Yellow Boxster look great, but that color combination is not striving for any dignity!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:50 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

@Tosa5, thanks for sharing. I learned a lot and will think of that while I wait to reach the 2k-mile mark!

@jbkanas, I deleted the green calipers too. I think the red calipers will subtly tie the red interior with the exterior. Now if I could only figure out what to do about the acid green outline of the model designation… I wish I could make that red or just black but not sure how. Have you thought of anything?
Old 11-29-2021, 11:55 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

For those of you waiting for a ship ( @Gator Fan 1957 , @orca15, et al.)… here’s the latest shipping schedule from PWL to hopefully give you an idea of potential ships your car may end up on.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
Kopie von WESTBOUND.xlsx (39.7 KB, 51 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by SS22:
orca15 (11-29-2021), pfelsen (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 06:07 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

For those of you waiting for a ship ( @Gator Fan 1957 , @orca15, et al.)… here’s the latest shipping schedule from PWL to hopefully give you an idea of potential ships your car may end up on.
You da man... Looks like Gator and I -whose cars just came off the line Friday - might get lucky and get on the Siem Aristotle (3 Dec) and have the cars CONUS before Christmas...fingers crossed, because there is no "next" ship to JAX on this chart which I assume means a bit of a wait. Either way you rock for finding this!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:03 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 198 Posts

Porsche Delivery's for So. Cal. come through San Diego only...You have no worries as their are no back ups...
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:12 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orca15
You da man... Looks like Gator and I -whose cars just came off the line Friday - might get lucky and get on the Siem Aristotle (3 Dec) and have the cars CONUS before Christmas...fingers crossed, because there is no "next" ship to JAX on this chart which I assume means a bit of a wait. Either way you rock for finding this!
You got it! I think you got a good shot at getting on Siem Aristotle.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:31 PM
Gator Fan 1957
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You got it! I think you got a good shot at getting on Siem Aristotle.
Guess I better get my butt in gear and clean the garage this weekend. 😅

Thanks for the info. I'll call my SA tomorrow and see what he can see from his end. 👍
Old 11-30-2021, 10:36 PM
PT6
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbuy
Duplicate Post - Removed
May I have a copy of your build code? Yours looks simply great.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:08 AM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

SS22: I think the green outline on the emblems is OK. It's subtle and a unique identifier.

I was at the dealership today. Panamera is to be offloaded at Houston (ship moored this afternoon). It will be released from the port once the EPA monroney label has been approved for the Sport Tourismo. Earliest anticipated delivery date is Dec 17. Dealer will try to let me know when the truck carrying it will arrive onsite; I'd love to see it be unloaded. Apparently the dealer is expecting several cars from this ship.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:01 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Pleiades Leader arrived in San Diego at about 4pm local time today. Let’s see how quickly they can unload my car, put it on a truck, and send it to the dealer. After so many months of waiting, it feels surreal!

@Gator Fan 1957, I also need to prepare my garage haha. First step is installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet for EV charging (happening tomorrow if the electrician shows up… already delayed once).

@jbkanas, true the subtle green in the model designation isn’t too bad. So we’re both waiting for a truck now to get our early Christmas present! Do you plan to have the dealership do anything with your car like PPF or ceramic coat?
Old 12-02-2021, 07:14 PM
Gator Fan 1957
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by orca15
Just spoke with my SA. My car is in Emden at the docks and wrapped up and ready to go. The Siem Aristotle has pulled in the port as of a few hours ago. My car has been confirmed to be scheduled on the Siem Aristotle and then head to Jacksonville. He said from what he can see, it will arrive in Jacksonville around the 21st and then arrive at the dealership possibly before Christmas Day. Hope Orca 15 will be on the same ship!!!🎄

Last edited by Gator Fan 1957; 12-02-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Official Panamera Waiting Room (for new orders)