Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

PCM soft reboot

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 10:12 AM
kmwnaz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCM soft reboot

I am having issues with the PCM not connecting to media. (2018 Panamera Turbo) When I start the PCM it has spinning circles and a message saying "starting media". Stays forever, never goes away. I know I can "reset" the PCM and it erases my settings which I have done a couple of times and it works but I was wondering if there was a soft reboot or reset that wouldn't do that.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:23 AM
Pin It
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Recently had the "Starting Media" issue, and couldn't get into the media menu at all, even after hours of driving/idling. I believe it to be an occasional glitch when switching from Car Play to XM Radio. A reset of the PCM did nothing for me. I ended up hitting the voice control button on the left steering wheel stalk and requested "tune to XM channel ___". This took me to the Media screen and solved the issue.

I know this likely wont help the OP given the passage of time but hopefully it will help others that encounter this situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pin It:
Fluoyi (09-01-2024), sac02 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-01-2024, 04:02 AM
Fluoyi
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pin It
Recently had the "Starting Media" issue, and couldn't get into the media menu at all, even after hours of driving/idling. I believe it to be an occasional glitch when switching from Car Play to XM Radio. A reset of the PCM did nothing for me. I ended up hitting the voice control button on the left steering wheel stalk and requested "tune to XM channel ___". This took me to the Media screen and solved the issue.

I know this likely wont help the OP given the passage of time but hopefully it will help others that encounter this situation.
Thank you so much! I was having this problem, even resetting the PCM via Vehicle Handover did not fix it. Voice command "show XM Radio" fixed it like a charm!!!
Old 09-02-2024, 12:35 PM
djdonte
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out. For future reference, you can soft reset the PCM by holding down the volume roller button until the screen turns black. My PSE decide to stop responding to the PCM button once and this fixed it.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:07 PM
Fluoyi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by djdonte
I'm glad you got it figured out. For future reference, you can soft reset the PCM by holding down the volume roller button until the screen turns black. My PSE decide to stop responding to the PCM button once and this fixed it.
Thanks for the helpful tip, I will try it next time. I looked all over the manual for the PCM soft reset/ reboot and didn't find the above mentioned process anywhere in the book. I resulted in pulling the passenger side panel #2 fuse to shut down and restart the PCM manually and the issue persisted. It finally got the media tab working after I did the voice command fix. Supposedly I am on really old 2017 PCM 4.1 software after talking to simaservis1108. I am in the process of updating the PCM software and doing the entire screen carplay and Android Auto unlock, and updating 2024-2025 Navi maps. Hopefully newer PCM software has fixed these little bugs. Another thing I didn't like was the programmable button for next song doesn't work for CP and AA, hopefully it will work after the update. Fingers crossed!
Old 09-02-2024, 06:54 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,115 Posts

What about the two finger press and hold in the upper right touchscreen corner?
Old 09-02-2024, 06:57 PM
Fluoyi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by chassis
What about the two finger press and hold in the upper right touchscreen corner?
I have no idea this was a thing, what is this two fingers on corners supposed to do? A restart of the system?
Old 09-02-2024, 10:49 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluoyi
I have no idea this was a thing, what is this two fingers on corners supposed to do? A restart of the system?
Taycan video below. Also works on Cayenne PCM5.0 and later.

Quick Reply: PCM soft reboot